Brisbane City Backpackers Reviews

380 Upper Roma Street, Qld 4000, Brisbane, Australia

Good location and nice staffs!!

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

Very good hostel has everything to offer close to city 5 min walk and staff very helpful any questions there happy to help!

Pros- decent size room, across the street from a supermarket, 15 min walk to Queen Street Mall Cons- they have a bar inside hostel-always drunk people around at night, theme nights in bar are demoralizing, wifi works some of the time or not at all, no heat in rooms but they do provide blankets if you ask for one

We had originally booked this hostel for 3 nights but only ended up staying one. Staff wasn't very helpful and it didn't seem like they cared about us checking out 2 nights earlier. The room (4 bed female dorm) was ok, but our roommates were very disrespectful as were many others who stayed at the hostel (getting a good sleep on the weekend is almost impossible). the wifi did not work properly and neither did the provided computers. The atmosphere was unwelcoming. Can't recommend this hostel!

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Good hostel, well located but expensive We had fine stay and the staff was nice.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Good hostel with very cool kitchen and roof top balcony area with good view and pool. Quite noisy at night in the corridor. Good location and atmosphere!

Only been there for two nights, but enjoyed it. Located about 10-15 mins from city centre. Facilities and whole building was very clean. Nice atmosphere thanks to pool and own bar, it's very easy to meet new people. Free WiFi also always a plus. Definitely recommend this place.

The bathrooms in the women's dorm area were always gross. They were cleaned twice a day but the showers always had hair and scum in the them. There were also ants crawling around the bathroom sinks. There is limited hand soap and no paper towels for after using the bathroom.

• 22nd Jun 2014

We stayed there for one night and we were really disappointed. The facilities are quite interesting (cinema, swimming pool..) but it's really crowdy so it was quite hard to find a place to cook dinner. Our bed was VERY incomfortable (thin matress) and we had no blanket. The air conditionning was running so we were really cold during the night. Moreover there was a party going and a lot of people were yelling in the halls until late in the night (or should I say in the morning).

• 22nd Jun 2014

Just the living room didn't have proper table where to eat if not outside(and it was cold)

We were travelling as a family (2 adults, 2 children) on a tight budget. This hostel had lots of facilities and the staff were friendly. The lookout tower at the top of the building was good for views over the city. Best thing was the proximity to the railway station and opposite a Coles supermarket.

• 29th May 2014

Hostel was clean enough, staff were initially friendly but seemed to care little about any questions/ concerns we had. Bedrooms and bathrooms were nice, kitchen less so, but overall not a bad stay.

Charged $150 for no reason the south side dublin ponse who works there has a serious mental issue and staff are not atall friendly like most hostels, steer well clear

• 18th Apr 2014

There was a $150 fee charged because you had an extra person in the room who didn't check in and who was there on a freebie. We could have evicted you with no return of rent for remaining nights but then you would have given us a bad review! Good luck with your travels The friendly team @ citybackpackers

Would be okay if you're there to party versus sleep, was very loud and there was no ladder on the bunk beds...

Would have been better if it was a bit quieter. People walking along the hallways and talking loudly in the hallways until about 1.30am made for a pretty poor sleep. I'd make sure I stayed somewhere that didn't have its own bar if I had to stay in Brisbane city again.

• 16th Apr 2014

Nice, big hostel. Staff were always friendly/approachable, facilities decent, rooms decent as well. Free internet is handy, a bit slow during busier times but that's obviously to be expected. I extended my stay for a couple of extra nights cos I liked it. So would probably stay again.

Double room is ok, some staff really kind and helpful, some bit rude. Basic bathrooms.

Stayed two nights in City Backpackers and it was okay. Clean hostel though nothing special. Can't say anything about socialising in the hostel, because I was in Brisbane to meet friends and therefore to me it was just a bed to sleep. But still it is clean, rooms have AC, though they are nothing special at least spacious. Easy to get there from bus station.

When I checked in the female staff told me that They put me in a 4 share instead of 8, so an upgrade and no smile, of course I took it. But the next day I was asked to pay more to stay in the same room. Why trick me into it without telling me that I had to pay more at the beginning? I moved to a fan room instead coz the AC is just too cold to sleep. Other staff are not so helpful either, most of time they don't know what they are doing.swimming pool is small but very dirty. Not clean in general.

The room smelled a bit strange.