Brisbane City Backpackers Reviews

380 Upper Roma Street, Qld 4000, Brisbane, Australia

Only been there for two nights, but enjoyed it. Located about 10-15 mins from city centre. Facilities and whole building was very clean. Nice atmosphere thanks to pool and own bar, it's very easy to meet new people. Free WiFi also always a plus. Definitely recommend this place.

The bathrooms in the women's dorm area were always gross. They were cleaned twice a day but the showers always had hair and scum in the them. There were also ants crawling around the bathroom sinks. There is limited hand soap and no paper towels for after using the bathroom.

• 22nd Jun 2014

We stayed there for one night and we were really disappointed. The facilities are quite interesting (cinema, swimming pool..) but it's really crowdy so it was quite hard to find a place to cook dinner. Our bed was VERY incomfortable (thin matress) and we had no blanket. The air conditionning was running so we were really cold during the night. Moreover there was a party going and a lot of people were yelling in the halls until late in the night (or should I say in the morning).

• 22nd Jun 2014

Just the living room didn't have proper table where to eat if not outside(and it was cold)

We were travelling as a family (2 adults, 2 children) on a tight budget. This hostel had lots of facilities and the staff were friendly. The lookout tower at the top of the building was good for views over the city. Best thing was the proximity to the railway station and opposite a Coles supermarket.

• 29th May 2014

Hostel was clean enough, staff were initially friendly but seemed to care little about any questions/ concerns we had. Bedrooms and bathrooms were nice, kitchen less so, but overall not a bad stay.

Charged $150 for no reason the south side dublin ponse who works there has a serious mental issue and staff are not atall friendly like most hostels, steer well clear

• 18th Apr 2014

There was a $150 fee charged because you had an extra person in the room who didn't check in and who was there on a freebie. We could have evicted you with no return of rent for remaining nights but then you would have given us a bad review! Good luck with your travels The friendly team @ citybackpackers

Would be okay if you're there to party versus sleep, was very loud and there was no ladder on the bunk beds...

Would have been better if it was a bit quieter. People walking along the hallways and talking loudly in the hallways until about 1.30am made for a pretty poor sleep. I'd make sure I stayed somewhere that didn't have its own bar if I had to stay in Brisbane city again.

• 16th Apr 2014

Nice, big hostel. Staff were always friendly/approachable, facilities decent, rooms decent as well. Free internet is handy, a bit slow during busier times but that's obviously to be expected. I extended my stay for a couple of extra nights cos I liked it. So would probably stay again.

Double room is ok, some staff really kind and helpful, some bit rude. Basic bathrooms.

Stayed two nights in City Backpackers and it was okay. Clean hostel though nothing special. Can't say anything about socialising in the hostel, because I was in Brisbane to meet friends and therefore to me it was just a bed to sleep. But still it is clean, rooms have AC, though they are nothing special at least spacious. Easy to get there from bus station.

When I checked in the female staff told me that They put me in a 4 share instead of 8, so an upgrade and no smile, of course I took it. But the next day I was asked to pay more to stay in the same room. Why trick me into it without telling me that I had to pay more at the beginning? I moved to a fan room instead coz the AC is just too cold to sleep. Other staff are not so helpful either, most of time they don't know what they are doing.swimming pool is small but very dirty. Not clean in general.

The room smelled a bit strange.

Keycards failed constantly, maybe 60% of the time. Someone was usually in my room to let me in but a few times I had to go to reception and there was not a single apology. The room smelled damp, the bed was one of the least comfortable I have ever slept on, old, thin and filthy mattresses, lumpy pillows. Not many power points in the room, my chargers kept getting unplugged. Lots of noise from the hostel bar but not busy, the music was just turned up to give the illusion of an atmosphere.

Decent stay, comfortable rooms, okay staff. Internet is horrible!

Unfortunately there were bed bugs in the room I stayed in, which is of course not the hostels fault. But as the other girl in the room told me the bedbugs we're there for already two weeks and nothing had happened so far (and yes, she told them), I decided to checkout right away and not to stay there. The fact that the staff checked me into a room where they knew it had bed bugs didn't make me feel that they were very keen on solving the problem or that they were very caring about their guests.

Had a nice time here. The lady on reception was very friendly and happy when we arrived :) nice bar downstairs and the pool looked great with great views (weather was terrible tho so couldn't enjoy it). Air con and very spacious room, kitchen was large but very busy and smelt a bit. Was a bit far out of the city and no wifi in rooms are the only negatives.

Location of the hostel was a fair walk away from the main city centre and local attractions. Staff were friendly but had little knowledge the area. My room smelt like feet and it was pretty dark and dated, however there was nice outside area with seating and a view of the city.

I liked this hostel but did not use most of its facilities. I chose it because it offered free internet and the internet services had peak periods when it really slowed down. Its proximity to the barracks, CBD, south bank area was an extra bonus that I did not expect. I ended up staying for an extra night as a result. Public areas were generally clean but my first room was in a bit of a state due mostly to the occupants.