Cambodia Backpacker Guesthouse Reviews

#11 WatDamnak Village next to Petit Villa Boutique, in front of Cockatoo guesthouse, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Not sure what all the horror stories are about. It's cheap & actually quite a nice place! Set in an old Colonial-style building, the dorm room was spacious & clean with a basic ensuite. Beds were nice & big. There were no lockers, however the hostel is not on a busy street & you get a key for the room. The staff were okay. Not super friendly like the rest of Cambodia, but nice enough. There was no free breakfast as advertised. Google maps address is wrong, the place is down some backstreets.

Great value. Dorm beds were comfy, with the two fans in the room keeping it cool (A/C available for extra charge of everyone agrees). Great wifi and patio to sit and relax in the evening. Bike rentals available for $1 per day. When I lost my bike lock key I was given the option of paying $3 for a new padlock, or taking it to the locksmith down the street to have a key made for $0.50. Didn't try to rip me off and were genuinely helpful. Quiet block, but just 10-15 minute walk to main pub st.

Should have provide free drinks.

• 22nd Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

The location tag for this hostel in Google Maps is not accurate. Street going here is poorly lit. Getting here is unsafe and it's located far from the night markets/Pub Street. There are way better hostels that are equally inexpensive that are better located and with better service. I didn't bother going through the rest of my stay here. Their description is misleading.

• 16th Nov 2015
  • Philippines

I have been travelling for two and a half years now and have stayed in some awful places to save a buck. This was the worst one of all. The dormitory wasn't even a room. It was outside. Not joking. Mosquitos everywhere and also BED BUGS. There are no lockers or anything so yes your stuff is all outside too. Just a shitty little awning over the beds. You can't even shower due to there being a hole in the door. They also wouldn't return our money two seconds after checking in and seeing the dorm.

I couldn't believe my luck when I was upgraded to the better room. This is the second time I got upgraded because the room I booked was full. So instead of the 2USD outdoor dorm, I got a bed in an indoor dorm with a little bit of air con. So there's nothing to complain at all.

Watch out for this hostel. It may seem cheap but once you are there you need to pay way more than expected. I booked a tour to Angkor and it was more expansive than stated (they said that the information from the confirmationmail and the tuktuk was old and now it is more expensive and no water is served). Dormbeds are outside and there is also the toilet with something that supposed to be a shower. Not very privacy oreiented.

Worst service ever! Bathroom really dirty! Room really unsafe, everyone (even people of the street) could walk in and steal something!On the website they say "free pickup from the airport" but that isn't true. After they bring me to the hostel they charge me 5$ extra!! The staff was really rude and they were always trying to charge you extra for every service in the hostel! They couldn't even give me the answer for the questions about the city and the temples! I'll never go to this hostel again

Definitely worth it. Good place for backpackers. Friendly people and services.

Staff was really nice. They let me check in at 5am as my bus arrived really early. The hostel is located 15 mins walk from pub Street in a quite location. They also have bike for rent. I booked a $2 dorm and it was just outside the house. You have mosquito net but my bed was full on ants and the toilet is in a cabin outside and during the night it gets full of insects.

We stayed a couple of nights here in the dorm room. The dorm room is located outside under a roof. Even though we expected it to be a normal inside dorm room, it was ok and we got good nights of sleep and the temperature was really comfortable. And it was nice with free pick up from the bus and free drinking water.

Booked an 8 bed room, got a 11bed room. When asked why i was told they wanted to get more money so took in walkins when they didn't have space. It was like staying in a hot chicken pen. Then was told that it was all my fault and they didnt want me to stay (by then it was dark, late and raining). After many arguments they "let us stay". Shocking service by the staff. Totally unacceptable. Hostel was a tuktuk ride from anywhere and there were no locks at all. Anyone could walk in and take anything

• 30th Sep 2015

$2 a night. Great value for money! No frills at its best

Meant to stay 3 nights and ended up staying 17days, after all tourist activities were complete i just enjoyed my time with the owners of this hostel. I was very lucky to experience the cambodian family lifestyle. They have their own tuktuk driver who picked me up free from bus stop. Rooms were large and aircon good. WIFI amazing. Cold drinks are sold at locals price and food is very good. This place is very cheap an worth more then what you pay, will diff be back

Kind staff. Clean room with toiletries, towel, thick blanket and white sheet for a pleasant sleep in aircon room.

• 6th Sep 2015