Casa Caribe Reviews

200 meters North of Town, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Alex, who runs the place, is great. Very friendly. Lots of fresh coconuts to be had. Hammocks on the porch. Good location just a bit out of town, but with a bike it was 5 minutes to the center. Hot shower, cool rooms (rainy season when we were there). Sloths almost every day right next door. Wish there was a shared kitchen, but some rooms have kitchens. Wifi was even good (rare for Costa Rica!) Highly Recommended!

This was my worst hostel experience in Costa Rica. I very rarely leave comments but I felt compelled to say something after my night at casa caribe. It was a private double bed room on the first floor that I shared with my girlfriend, and we could not wait to get out of there. The room reeked of mold and there was a slimy gloss all over the tile floor. The bed sheets were filthy and we got chewed up from the lack of a mosquito net. Terrible night, didn't sleep at all.

• 17th Apr 2015