Castle Tam Hostel Reviews

Avenida 4,100 metros oeste Escuela de la Roosevelt, San Pedro, San Jose, Costa Rica

Great hostel, has all those little touches you want when staying at a hostel but for a much cheaper price, definitely reccomend and will be staying here again

• 6th Apr 2014

staff was very helpful and kind , located next to bars restuarents and mall . we really enjoy our stay there ! will be back again for sure .

• 27th Mar 2014
  • Israel

Very clean bathroom and very good place for this price range, at San José is not possible to find similar hostels. In general overview is a good place to stay and only maybe would be great to buy new sheets for the beds. It was a good choice for us.

• 25th Mar 2014
  • Spain

A really good hostel with nice rooms, a good atmosphere, very very friendly staff (you can ask them anything and they´ll help you) and really warm showers ;)! although it´s a little bit outside, there´s no problem, because the public buses are running frequently and it´s really easy to go to downtown. Only the kitchen could be a little better equipped, but after all a really good place to stay in San Jose. You should definately go there

Stayed at Castle Tam for about 3 days, really had no complaints by the end of it. Had an interesting and friendly array of travelers (like most hostels do), and the fact that it's walking distance from La Calle is AWESOME. The staff is also quick to tend to any of the questions or requests I had regarding their facilities. Very basic hostel, nice cheap rooms, so not much else you can ask for in San Jose. Would stay there again if i needed a place to sleep, otherwise doesn't offer much else.

Jonathan was extremely helpful and went through the bus schedule with me and organized a shuttle for 435 am so I wouldn't miss the bus to Nosara. It was nice and quite at night and I slept great.

• 9th Mar 2014

Great place, excellent staff, definitely recommend !!! L endroit est super, tres propre et une excellente equipe !!

• 29th Jan 2014

Castle Tam was incredibly accommodating, especially with payment, which was a huge relief for me since my bank messed up my PIN. There's laundry service, two kitchens, WARM WATER, Wifi. I enjoyed my time there. It's a bit grungy, but if you're not up for adventures you probably shouldn't be in Costa Rica. ;)

• 7th Jan 2014

Good place to stay. Cheap and clean, only there for one night, but know people who stayed there a lot longer. Would stay there again if needed to be in San Jose.

The staff is great: accomodating and friendly. I've stayed a Castle Tam a few times and the location is ideal and close enough to the mainstreet, but distant enough for quiet when needed. Loved the HOT water (best showers I've taken in Costa Rica) and internet access throughout the facility. Stayed in the dorms a few times and liked that there are curtains, outlets and bulbs for each bed. Downfall is that it's not the cleanest hostel I've been in CR, there could be more effort there.

• 29th Dec 2013

After traveling 9 months through South America, it's nice every once and a while to get a private room and bathroom. I have never seen such a dirty bathroom, there was massive clumps of hair.. I asked for it to be cleaned a guy comes in with a bottle of bleach and a towel, 30 secs later ask me to check it.. How could any thing be clean in that time. Washing a shower includes scrubbing the floor and the walls.. You think they could afford a proper cleaner to come in. Yuck grose felt so dirty

• 28th Dec 2013

There were not many guests (ran into one guy who had been living there for nearly a year). Owner and his friends spent time in garage drinking and watching TV

I lived here for 5 weeks while completing a TEFL course down the road. The hostel is 2 blocks away from the training center, and maybe a block away from the bus stop- so convenient! The guys that work here genuinely care about their guests and go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable. Any time I encountered an issue, Jonathan was quick to fix it. Everyone here is really chill and there's a great vibe. I'd recommend it to anyone travelling short or long term!

me and my girlfriend stayed there for three nights. be aware that this hostel is in San Pedro and not San José itself. avoid to take the taxi when you arrive in the afternoon because of the traffic. we spent 26$!! we had a nice and clean private room with a hot shower. the kitchen was clean but not too well equipped. it has two stoves but no oven. the whole hostel has a english touch but nobody is from the united kingdom which is a bit weird. nevertheless we had a nice couple of days.

When we came, guys at the ,,reception´´ were very unfriendly and probably drunk (maybe something else). We asked for the airport transport (is written in facilities). They offered us a taxi for 30$, but even when we catched a taxi at the street, the driver akt 26$ for it (the cheapest way is to take a bus=3$). The breakfast was told to be between 8 and 10am. When we asked for it about 8.30, other unpleasant guy said us to wait. Everything was like this...

Castle Tam was great! My girlfriend and I had an incredible time there. We decided on Castle Tam because of it's convenient price, I'd say it was well worth it! The staff was extremely helpful, they had a lot of great tours to recommend, cooked breakfast in the morning for the guests (We had some awesome pancakes when we stayed!). The owner went out of his way to make us feel comfortable by showing us where we could find the grocery store and some great restaurants. We will definitely return!

• 21st Nov 2013

That-s a good place, quiet and nice. Is clean and secure. The only thing is that they don-t have the bus timetables allright, so you need to confirm it with somebody who knows well before going to take a bus to somewhere. The staff is nice, they can recomend some tours.

I enjoyed my stay at Castle Tam! Everyone was really friendly so it was pretty easy to meet new people and friends. I liked how the facility had hot water for showers and fast Internet speed, which was perfect for my online classes. Castle is also in a great location; mintues away from the mall, restaurants, and most bus lines. I recommend this hostel for travelers who appreciate meeting people from different countries and want a comfortable place to stay. Great value and worth the price.