Charley Johng's Dune Guesthouse Reviews

Dunhuang Mingsha Shan Sha Sheng Zhi Wu Yuan, Yuequan Shan Zhuang, Dunhuang, China

Nice place near the dunes but a little dirty

the hostel is in a perfect position near the dunes. In the middle of a rich countryside, is possible see many camel and other animals. the hostel is an old style beautyful structure. The food is really good and cheap and the staff is really kind and available. Toilets are clean and good...the bed sheets was not so clean but the room valuation is positive. We had the problems that for two night water was not available in the rooms! i'm sure is not a problem for the hostel but for the entire area

Accommodation ok friendly relaxed atmosphere, staff were very helpful and spoke English. Place was cleaned daily but it was in a position with sand all round you, so a constant battle. They also organised the camel treck, z which was good. Over all enjoyed my stay,

Great location right next to the dunes. Rooms are clean but the toilet and showers are not. Staff is helpful but not all of them speak English.

Great atmosphere and gold location.

The toilets are pretty crappy. And bathrooms have alot of mud and sand on the floor. It's distance from town is compensated by the fact that it is near a sand dune. Rooms are clean and quiet. Still a decent place to stay and meet other travellers but lower your expectations.

It was awesome to be so close to the sand dunes: one night we climbed up and watch the sun go down with some locals. We loved the camel ride in the desert- that was such a unique experience and I'm glad I had that opportunity! It's very convenient to take the bus and go downtown, and the staff were pretty helpful when we wanted to go to the Mogao Caves. I would (and have) recommend this hostel to others visiting Dunhuang.

The owner didn't give me back my deposit when I wanted to change my reservation from a single room to dorm. It seemed to me that the owner had no intention to keep the place clean. It's close to mingshashan but far from the city. I had to take a 20 min bus just to eat breakfast.

• 4th Jun 2013
  • South Korea

The hostel has an amazing location at a few meters from the dunes in a quiet, relaxing, beautiful house, and staff is friendly. Only one, very bad issue: the place REALLY needs to be cleaned!!! (toilets and showers in particular)

A really nice, laid back hostel right by the dunes. The perfect respite from the craziness of Chinese cities! I tried to book a 2nd night stay, but according to website there was no availability - but when I got there the staff said there was. All a big disorganized, and the showers aren't great. I also think the directions to the hostel could be a bit clearer! All in all though, it had a really nice atmosphere and comfortable rooms.