Che Lagarto hostel Ilha Grande Reviews

Praia de Abr�o n/n (left side of the beach), Ilha Grande, Brazil

This is one of my top hostels I have stayed in. I was not expecting a lot going on previous reviews for this hostel, turns out the previous travellers don't know what there talking about. the staff are excellent and location spot on. (I have stayed in over 50 hostels)

Sometimes there is a feeling that you are not really in a hostel, just in a bed you rent out. Che lagarto can feel a little cold at times.

Ilha Grande is so amazing. This hostel was great! Breakfast was good, location is lovely. I don't think any other hostel is over looking the water like this one. I liked how it was not in the middle of the village. The male staff was nice, but only one girl was friendly. The others just acted like we imposed on their house (pretty sure they all live at the hostel) for such a big chain of hostels I don't think they should be acting this way. That is my only complaint though! Definitely recommend!

Fantastic spot, ok breakfast. We were staying at the next door aquaris hostel we later found out so we did not have our own key. Was all very odd, and didn't have running water our whole stay. Do not expect luxury at all and just enjoy location and the hammocks. The reception girl is really awful and pulls this sour face, just laugh at her. Her face must be sore from doing that face the whole day

We stayed at Che Lagarto beginning of March after Carnival hoping for a week of relaxation. From the moment we arrived we had a bad experience, the staff was very unfriendly/unwelcoming and did not speak any English or Spanish. Everyone that booked at the hostel had issues with their booking/overbooked, we booked 6 months prior and requested to be all together but we were put in separate rooms. Half our group did not get checked into their room for 3 hours after check-in. Would not recommend.

• 6th Mar 2014

This was the worst hostel that we stayed in during our 4 month trip in SA. There was no water for our entire trip so we couldn't shower, the toilets were all blocked, it was really really disgusting. We were refused a refund. When we first arrived from the boat, we waited in line for over 2 hours before being checked in! The staff were completely useless. They had lost our booking and others too, so we were put in a different room. Internet was bad. Terrible hostel!

Reception staff were so rude. Hostel was overbooked. Only saving grace was the wonderful cleaner Veronica who should have been running the hostel! No water for several days.

We didn´t have water although they told us if there would be rain, we will have water. During 5 days of rain, water in the room was enough for barely 1 shower a day. We were 4 persons. Wifi wasn´t working either. Nor in the room, nor next to the reception! They were not able to find our reservation, although we booked 4 months earlier. No english spoken. It took 4 hours to get finally the room. They wanted to give us a discount for the 4 days but nothing ever happened.

The worst hostel I have EVER stayed at in all my years of travelling around the world. Useless, disinterested staff who couldn't care less.It took 45 mins to check in they were so disorganised

Minus: There was NO water for the most days of our stay. The attitude of the staff about this problem was very careless. Solution offered: The whole hostel could use 1 shower when there was no water.. long waiting line. We also couldn't use the toilet. Very unpleasant. We got a 50% refund. Plus: Location/view is great. 10 min walk from pier. Nice parties at night. Rooms look new. Breakfast is nice, cleaning ladies do their job. Lockers underneath the beds (whole bag fits in it).

We stayed at the hostel for 3 nights and found it to be okay - we had high expectations because we had heard rave reviews. For the two days we stayed there was no running water except for I hour at night and the Wi-Fi only worked the morning we left. The staff told us it was like this everywhere on the island but this was not true as we had friends staying at other hostels who did not experience this! The staff were also unhelpful and didn't speak any English. Breakfast and rooms were good.

• 24th Feb 2014