Civic Guest House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

262 Walker St, Townsville, Australia

Super friendly owners, kitchen could be bigger with more sinks

• 30th Jun 2015

Had a wonderful stay here! The (bath)rooms are clean and the staff is really nice.

Good quiet hostel, a lot of sitting areas and free wifi works surprisingly well (when in reach). The bunkbeds were instable, with every rollover they shake enormously and make a sqeaky sound, waking the other person in the bed! More remarks: too few bathrooms for the amount of people. Also kitchen equipment is old and inadequate, especially the pans are worn out and all the food sticks to the pans. Reception is not always around, even in the "open" hours.

Facilities: kitchen is FAR too small for the hostel. Wifi doesn't work very well at all. Late night check in and they didn't give us a code! Luckily someone was still up and could let us in.

One of the BEST hostels I've stayed in Australia. Free WiFi in the reception area, I HATE hostels that keep asking for money for WIFI (#FirstWorldProblems, I know). It's separate from the social area, which is near the kitchen, which is excellent. When there's WiFi only in the social area, everyone's just on their phones, not socialising. Cleanest bathrooms I've EVER seen for a hostel, definitely why they have so many awards. Great kitchen, fantastic location, would definitely go back.

Excellent hostel very close to supermarket, cinema and main street. Rooms and facilities are perfectly clean, the kitchen is amazing and the best thing is it actually has an OVEN!! :D Also the wifi is exceptionally fast, the beds are good though a bit shaky and the staff is great and helped a lot. Rooms have lockable cupboards and fridges! Thanks for a wonderful few days here before going to Magnetic Island! :)

Staff was useless, only good thing about this place was it was clean! So cleaning staff was great reception was awful!

Thank you for your review. A relief to know that there was one thing that you actually liked about my guesthouse. As you did not give us any explanation as to what my staff did or did not do, I do not know how to fix the problem. It is our mission to make all our guests feel welcome and appreciated, I do apologise if you were treated without respect and if we were inefficient, we do try our best, but sometimes our best is just not good enough.

Very nice hostel, close to everything you can do in the city and a nice free shuttle to the ferry station!

• 22nd May 2015

The staff is so friendly! There is a free shuttle bus. It's a relaxed hostel with lots of facilities. A nice big kitchen and the garden is really nice as well. There are lots of places to sit and chill.

Thank you so much for this awesome review, to read reviews like these, makes a blue day turn into a not so blue one. Good luck with your future travels!

Civic is a comfortable easy going hostel, bright and sparkling clean, with helpful attentive staff. WIFI did not work in my dorm but at this time of year there are plenty of comfortable places to sit and use it on the ground floor - might get crowded in peak times My only reservations were 1. cigarette smoke in most of the sitting areas. Not from inside, but from the footpath and back courtyard. 2. bicycles listed in Hostelworld were not available for hire. Sadly they have been stolen

So far very one of the best hostel have been in Australia . Friendly and helpful staff , good atmosphere, good facilities and very clean. You feel like home

Very clean, friendly and feeling good hostel!

Nice staff! Unfortunately I sept badly: it was too hot and the mattress was extremely soft... Exception for that, very pleasant stay.

Bed broke but luckily I was able to use the other bed. No air con in the room. Lots of ants everywhere. No off street parking.

Very friendly staff who were happy to help. They even drove us to the train station for our train, and stored our bags for the day so we could do the castle hill climb. Thank you for a lovely stay!

Comfortable hostel with friendly staff, plenty of chill out space and a big kitchen. Easy walk over to Woolworths for shopping and down to the seafront. Would stop here again. Be aware that Townsville taxis can be unreliable- the taxi I booked to get me to the greyhound station never appeared which made my final morning more frantic than I was expecting!

Lovely, lovely hostel! It had a very homely vibe with a fab kitchen. I had the deluxe en-suite room which was air conditioned and had its own fridge - very happy! The staff were lovely, welcoming and helpful at all times. They also run a shuttle service to the coach station at certain times which saves walking in the heat! Banks and Woolworths only round the corner and Flinders Street is 5 minutes away. Would definitely stay again.

Staff were great, couldn't have done more, even drove me and my friend to dominos and back so thanks for that guys, only stayed a night but we were made really welcome

• 3rd Apr 2015

Fantastic rooms and facilities, great size and friendly staff. Definitely book again. Cheers :)

The receptionist that checked me in Jenny was great and very welcoming and helpful. I found my room very comfortable and clean. I would stay again for sure Karen South Australia

• 31st Mar 2015