Civic Guest House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

262 Walker St, Townsville, Australia

Great place to stay for a relaxed holidays. Nice movie chillout area and only a 5 min walk to town. Fred xfer service to/from ferry/greyhound terminal was brilliant.

Good hostel, extremely friendly staff and set a welcoming vibe throughout the hostel. Have all the facilities needed, and at a good standard. Wifi has a limited area for social purposes, which is nice to see for a change. They offer a shuttle bus to the coach station, so the location is a little out the way ($10 cab ride) but they're ways around it. Only negative is no lockers in the room I was in.

Stayed definitely in better hostels but for a stopover in Townsville it's okay.

Dorms are light and spacious, kitchen and common area are cosy. Hostel was overall very clean and staff and other guests were friendly. Only drawback was that wifi just worked in the hall.

I loved my stay at the civic guest house. I had a private room for the same money for a 4 to 6 dorm room in other hostels. They have free wifi, clean kitchen. Just 5 min to town and pick up/off service for the ferry to magnetic island. Owner was very happy and friendly. The staff was nice to and seem to liked the work they were doing.

Good start, the very lovely owner picked us up & gave us a tour. She advised us the kitchen would be closing at 8.30pm for renovations which was fine however the next morning the kitchen was still closed which made cooking eggs for brekky quite tricky! The cleaning of the bathrooms seemed to take hours and all toilets were cleaned at the same time leaving you crossing your legs until they had finished. The lay out was good but staff could of been a bit friendlier.

Lovely place to stay - nice chilled atmosphere, helpful friendly staff. A great place to relax and unwind before/after the Whitsunday Islands. 5 mins walk from the main street, far enough way to avoid all the party scene but close enough to still get involved!

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

Good location, friendly staff, good amenities.

Great staff, very neat and clean!

Perfect! Clean rooms and facilities - nice staff, what do you want more?

Thank you so much, it is feedback like yours that makes my job worthwhile!

Very nice staff, Good Hostel!

• 20th Oct 2014

Staff is very friendly and they try to make your stay very good. Rooms are nice. Bathrooms are fine, but they need more space to put your stuff on. Hostel is close to the shops and ferry.

I only stayed at this hostel for 1 night but I had a really good time. Even if you stay 1 night they bring and pick you up from the ferry and greyhound terminal. The rooms are really clean and the owners of the hostel are such lovely people. Stayed also in another hostel in Townsville but this was the best!

• 17th Oct 2014

Calm and tidy. Highly recommend this!

• 11th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

We loved our stay in Civic guest house! First we stayed on 6 bed mixed dorm with ensuite. The room was ok, all though the beds were not that comfortable and the bathroom there was really dirty. Then we changed into a four bed mixed dorm. It was really nice and the beds were better. The shared toilets were also clean. The kitchen is nice and clean (most of the time) and common areas are good. Also the atmosphere was really welcoming and the staff was friendly and helpful. Choose Civic!

Thanks for you feedback I really appreciate that. The cleanliness of the kitchen is a sensitive subject as there really are backpackers that are under the impression that this is a Hotel and not a backpackers. When I check my guests in to their rooms I give them a tour of the premises, do a little induction and ask them to do their own dishes as the person that does clean the kitchen at the end of the day is not there to clean up after them. I have taken note of the dirty bathroom.

Very good value for money, the hostel is located close to the centre of Townsville itself and has fantastic facilities (shame that the wifi doesn't stretch any further than the entrance area). The rooms are basic and the decor is a little dates, but have everything you need in them including a fridge.

• 22nd Sep 2014

In the "de luxe" single room there was a fridge, but no shelves, hooks or mirror. Unfortunately one of the two bathrooms on my floor was out-of-order. Long corridors meant it didn't feel very friendly.

I had made a mistake on my booking and the front desk attendant switched my reservation very quickly. We were made to feel very welcome and the room was perfect for what we needed. Would stay again and gladly recommend.

Very clean. Great value (single room for price of dorm bed elsewhere). Unfortunately very loud construction, drilling rocks, just across the road starting at 7 am! Make sure to go to bed early, or ask reception what point they're at.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. Just wanting to follow-up and leave a response that the loud construction and drilling has come to an end, and everything at the Civic is back to normal.

Best place to stay in Townsville. Quite a homey feel and everyone was pretty friendly.