Day and Night Hostel Reviews

Flat D8 & E2, Block D & E, 10/F, Chungking Mansions,40 Nathan Road,Kowloon, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

I felt unsafe in the dormitories. The door can not be locked and there are nog lockers to put your stuff. Also the shower was very unclean and uncomfortable. Nog electricity close to the beds. All the plugs in the room were already full when I came. I know this was a cheap hostel but with some small improvements it would be already so much better.

• 27th Jan 2016

Room was absolutely tiny, but this is fairly standard for Hong Kong. The building/shopping mall you had to go through to get in and out of the place wasn't very nice and you were constantly harassed.

A typical guest room place in the Islamic area / building of HK. Had some great Chicken Biryani downstairs. Bed is super short and wedged in between two walls so if you are 1.95 m like me you wont be too comfy.

Came across a rat when i was having a shower, and it smelt horrible the whole time.

• 13th Jan 2016

Not really a hostel but a hotel with dorms. Tiny rooms and not really comfortable but clean. But probably all Hostels in central Hong Kong are like this. So if you do not mind not staying in the center I recommend looking for a Hostel or even a cheap Hotel not that centrally located.

If you are going to stay in Kowloon I would definitely recommend this hostel. The staff were genuinely friendly and very helpful (rare for HK) and the rooms were extremely clean and I can guarantee you will have clean sheets(again HK). Raaj was fantastic, he was looking after our area and helped in every way he could and asked us where we were going and gave us tips. It was raining on our last day and he let us stay a little after check out which was really sweet and considerate. Thanks guys!!

The filipino staffs are helpful and nice.. Ate josie,

• 19th Nov 2015
  • Philippines

Does what it says on the tin. Cheap for Hong Kong and a very good location close to ferry, mtr station and the airport bus stops out front. Chunking mansions isn't as bad as people make out and most of the people that say it's unsafe and intimidating seem to also mention the skin colour of the locals so that might be your issue there ,but the lifts are really slow

Overall a claustrophobic and unpleasant experience. The lack of common areas and extreme unfriendliness of the staff was justified by 100HKD a night (160 on weekends), but in any other case I would have been unsatisfied. The staff drive a VERY hard bargain, so you MUST book online else do not come. The building is in a good location, but is itself very unpleasant. Beware suspicious people trying to sell you suits and watches etc. A cheap way to stay in Hong Kong, but caution is advised.

3people couldn't move in the room at the same time. The pictures don't show the real seize of the room. The room was okay clean for hongkong. The toilet was the shower in the same time. The flush didn't work at all and the water didn't work for 1 day. They didn't tell us in advance to a had to fight 3 days to get a reduction for the room rate. After that the staff was really friendly. It was a little annoying to walk through the whole mall to get to the crazy busy elevator to get to the room.

The place was a bit of a hassle to find, but after I entered the ChungKing Mansions I asked around and found the right elevator. The reception was very friendly, but the people on the ground floor were kind of into your face trying to sell goods. This could feel kind of intimidating if your not used to this. After the reception showed me to my room I found that it was a normal six bed mix dorm nothing special with good WiFi. The toilet was only so so, with no toilet paper.

• 27th Oct 2015

First I was moved to floor 6. This was probably the worst accommodation I've ever stayed in. Very unclean. Very hot, no fan no ac. Shower room filthy. Lift painfully slow to wait for. Very strange atmosphere. Staff quite friendly & helpful though. Location great... But stay somewhere else.

The owners were very nice but the room given to us was located in a different Bldg. I guess they were growing. The remodel was not completed. The room itself looked to have been used. Preused soaps, hairs in the sheets.It was not clean. I was there for a lay over only so I slept in my clothes on top of my coat. I felt cooty invested.

The hostel is in a great location: ChungKing Mansion. The hostel is also very clean, as the cleaning lady is super friendly, as well as the other women that work here. That being said, the men in this hostel were quite rude. The rooms are already pretty small, which is ok because we didn't really have the intention to come to Hong Kong to stay in a dorm room, but one of the nights, they brought in an extra fold-out bed that pretty much blocked any remaining floor space there was to begin with.

• 28th Sep 2015

I think the tea and coffee you offer needs to be refilled nore regularly.

Cheap for Hong Kong but still not very cheap. Chong King mansions is a seedy building but well located in the middle of Kowloon. Free coffee and tea! The dorm room didn't have a lock on the door, but there was a safe in the dorm, which I used to secure my electronics.

I got a tiny private room (the bed was touching both walls) but I've been told most Hong Kong hostels are small. The hostel didn't have a common area so it wasn't a great place to meet people and the room wasn't very clean. The blankets and towels smelled so bad I literally almost got sick. Luckily, the staff was really nice when I asked to exchange them. It is also confusing to get to and the building elevator is hot, small, and a little sketchy.

Nice enough for the price, clean and quiet, but no lounge or anything to meet travelers so atmosphere is non existent. Rooms are on the interior of a building so no outside light. You have to ride an elevator up from the market downstairs.

The good: - The staff are super friendly - Great location in the city - TV and A/C in room The bad: - The room was tiny and completely different from the picture - The safe literally had the code written on the front of it - The combined shower/toilet had black mold - No common area - The building itself is notoriously sketchy, which isn't the hostel's fault, but something to be aware of. Women beware! We got catcalled and grabbed at a *lot.* Okay for a place to just sleep.

Small, and without real windows, except into the skyscraper, but you cannot expect a 5* hotel. Was very good for that price! The staff, Preet and the whole team were really helpful!