El Warung Cave Hostel Reviews

La Cuevita 38, Artenara, Gran Canaria, Spain

very nice, helpful and friendly staff, where you can hang out together and enjoy interesting talks and the atmosphere outside under the stars in between the mountains. Its a really new experience to sleep in a cove, you must not have claustrophobia of space ;-)

• 5th Jul 2014

Totally in love with this place ! Waking up in the morning with most facinating view to the mountains, calm and relaxing atmosphere. The staff is very friendly - helped me a lot to make my stay and trip more interesting. Cave hostel is unique because of the place and the concept of the hostel itself. Enjoyed it to the max !

A cosy & unique hostel experience run by a young, laid-back Spanish couple - also a superb base for hikers to explore the area as the trails seemed far from the madding crowd while I was there in early June.

Although my rating adds up to less than 90%, I felt that I need to be honest about security and cleanliness, although I didn't care about both aspects (but I know that others do). But don't be put off by this! This was one of the best stays I've ever had! The "staff", Claudia and Miguel, are very sociable and friendly people and the atmosphere as well as the view is breathtaking. It's hard to find and Google Map lies about the address, but it's worth looking for it! I'd come again : )

The view is just unbelievable!

El Warung has a unique flair. Staying there is something very special and very different to the usual crowded hostel experiences. It is a bit like going camel back riding or doing a Thai cooking class: sleeping in a cave at a very special spot on the island could be considered an out of the ordinary experience you'd only treat yourself to while traveling. Would recommend to people who are happy with nature, calmness and a stunning view and don't need much else (or much entertainment).

The hostel have a so nice point of view! the staff is so friendly, Roc know all the way to hike, the place to be!

Very nice place to take a brake and thank you very much for your hospitality Claudia y Miguel :-)

Roch the manager was incredibly kind and helpful and welcoming. He picked me up from the bus stop in Tejeda and made me feel really at home. He was also great for recommending routes to walk in the mountains, and gave me his mobile number in case I had any problems, so I felt really safe going trekking on my own. I felt like if anything happened to me, I could just ring and he'd come find me, or if I hadn't returned late into the night he'd have got some people to look for me.. He was a star!

• 10th Mar 2014

Little is known that the mountains on Gran Canaria are so impressing and the life in caves is a new adventure and cool way to live. El Warung is great. Simply great. Super friendly and helpful staff, I felt very welcome. Kat and the twins Max and Mascha

Amazing setting, very chilled

Very nice place and staff. Best view from hostel in my life. Bathroom is in bad condition. It is hard to find the hostel in village, no signposts from the road.

A genuinely different hostel in the mountain side, small and sociable. Attracts runners/cyclists/walkers. One bathroom shared between 8/9 people is a downside and the communal kitchen/dining room has character. The terrace has some of the best views on the island. From the church walk/drive towards the cave museum and keep going past it to the end of the road/track. Artenara town is a little out of the way but reachable twice per day by bus from Las Palmas/Teror.

Best nights on the island. We rented property elsewhere but nothing had the atmosphere of the cave. Roch, our host, plus the views combined to make our stay something special.

Fabulous place for a hostel, and could make an appealing site for a small (ie 5 to 6-person) yoga group, if the front patch was levelled out, though it might need a fence.

It is my 2d time when I was in the Canaries and the 2d time when I faced with a local expirience.It is difficult to describe this magic place by words,because when you see all this magnificence of nature you can't think.. in normal way:). The first time when I stayed here, the great owner showed us the special places up in the mountains and the fest in the village..So many funny stories from that trip,that I will never forget:)). Thank you,Manuel and guys,love you all and hope to see you again!!

After having stayed at so many hostels over all those years, one not so very different from another, this one comes as a true revelation. It's positively unique in every respect. From it's breathtaking location at 1600m in a cave overlooking a spectacular caldera of the bigest volcano on Gran Canaria, through it' s friendly and helpful staff making you feel at home rather than in rented accomodation to picturesque neighbourhood of Artenara, a former settlement of aboriginal inhabitants Guanches.

• 25th Jan 2014