El Warung Cave Hostel Reviews

La Cuevita 38, Artenara, Gran Canaria, Spain

The view is just unbelievable!

The hostel have a so nice point of view! the staff is so friendly, Roc know all the way to hike, the place to be!

Roch the manager was incredibly kind and helpful and welcoming. He picked me up from the bus stop in Tejeda and made me feel really at home. He was also great for recommending routes to walk in the mountains, and gave me his mobile number in case I had any problems, so I felt really safe going trekking on my own. I felt like if anything happened to me, I could just ring and he'd come find me, or if I hadn't returned late into the night he'd have got some people to look for me.. He was a star!

• 10th Mar 2014

Little is known that the mountains on Gran Canaria are so impressing and the life in caves is a new adventure and cool way to live. El Warung is great. Simply great. Super friendly and helpful staff, I felt very welcome. Kat and the twins Max and Mascha

Amazing setting, very chilled

Very nice place and staff. Best view from hostel in my life. Bathroom is in bad condition. It is hard to find the hostel in village, no signposts from the road.

A genuinely different hostel in the mountain side, small and sociable. Attracts runners/cyclists/walkers. One bathroom shared between 8/9 people is a downside and the communal kitchen/dining room has character. The terrace has some of the best views on the island. From the church walk/drive towards the cave museum and keep going past it to the end of the road/track. Artenara town is a little out of the way but reachable twice per day by bus from Las Palmas/Teror.

Best nights on the island. We rented property elsewhere but nothing had the atmosphere of the cave. Roch, our host, plus the views combined to make our stay something special.

Fabulous place for a hostel, and could make an appealing site for a small (ie 5 to 6-person) yoga group, if the front patch was levelled out, though it might need a fence.

It is my 2d time when I was in the Canaries and the 2d time when I faced with a local expirience.It is difficult to describe this magic place by words,because when you see all this magnificence of nature you can't think.. in normal way:). The first time when I stayed here, the great owner showed us the special places up in the mountains and the fest in the village..So many funny stories from that trip,that I will never forget:)). Thank you,Manuel and guys,love you all and hope to see you again!!

After having stayed at so many hostels over all those years, one not so very different from another, this one comes as a true revelation. It's positively unique in every respect. From it's breathtaking location at 1600m in a cave overlooking a spectacular caldera of the bigest volcano on Gran Canaria, through it' s friendly and helpful staff making you feel at home rather than in rented accomodation to picturesque neighbourhood of Artenara, a former settlement of aboriginal inhabitants Guanches.

• 25th Jan 2014
  • Poland

Very nice place, and good staff. We truly recommend everybody travelling to Gran Canaria to visit this hostel. Nice views, good starting point for doing hikes and relaxed atmosphere. You feel at home at this hostel.

Great location, friendly staff and clean rooms! Quite remote location, but ideal spot to go hiking in the mountains. Great views on the terrace - impossible to catch with the camera :-)

We had a great time in El Warung! Beautiful scenery, nice people and rooms in caves - we will remember it forever. Thanks a lot!

• 7th Jan 2014
  • Poland

Wow, what a COOL place. We are both still coming down off of our El Warung high.This place is super alternative and we have never felt so welcomed and at home while travelling.We met some really cool people from all over the world and we both feel that we had the best conversations by the candle light at night in the cave.Manolo,the owner,is a local and he went above and beyond to show us the Canarian life style.This is not your typical party hostel, there is magic happening here! Muchas Gracias

This place is brilliant! Lovely staff, breath taking views, clean and lovely rooms. There are beautiful walks to do nearby. I highly recommend it.

Even the conditions are rather simple, but I'd say it is a must-to-do to try to live at least one day in such house-cave as still some inhabitants of Gran Canaria use to live up-to-now.

What a great place to get away from the tourism of the rest of the island! To really get away from it all.... In the mountains in a tiny pueblo! No wifi at the caves (they know this), but who needs it when there is amazing and fun staff and other visitors, and of course nature. Unfortunately I had bad weather during my stay and was unable to do hiking, but the area is just gorgeous. Will definitely come back !

there were no staff only temporary volunteers who were lovely. Glad the owner wasn't there as he was so rude to us at his El Warung beach hostel (where we were overcharged and no breakfast was offered). Lovely atmosphere at the cave but AWFUL at the beach hostel - do NOT go there!

everything was perfect. Amazing atmosphere and amazing people there!

View all Gran Canaria Hostels