Fattoria del Bassetto Reviews

Via Avanella 42, Certaldo, Florence, Italy

The most 'hostel' hostel experience I had throughout the trip. The amount of people I met in this hostel alone dwarfs the amount of people I met in the rest of my hostels combined. While the building isn't the newest (and it does look kinda scary when entering at night), it turned out to be a pleasant stay. Certaldo itself is definitely not a household name, but the surrounding towns, most notably San Gimignano are well worth a visit. In that sense, it made for a great base to work from.

I had a good stay there, met great people. Helpful staff

The staff was fantastic! The rooms were very clean. I wish I could have spent more time at the actual hostel because it had so much to offer. However, I only had one full day to see Florence so I had limited time to see the hostel. My advice would be to spend a day just at the hostel relaxing in the hammocks or grab a bike (free!) and bike around the lovely town. I definitely recommend this hostel! :)

The most chilled and beautiful hostel I've ever stayed in. Perfect solution for young travellers who are seeking good company and a picturesque Tuscan experience. Staff were helpful and where really genuine with their hints and organised pasta nights, wine tastings etc. They have bikes, which is awesome, though they need a few more. As for location, just to prepare you, it is at least an hr from anything, I was a bit skeptical at first, though needlessly. 4-6nights is perfect

Probably the best hostel I stayed at during my backpacking trip. It's located in a smaller Tuscan city about an hour away from Florence by train (and a half-hour walk to the train station), but it's perfectly worth the distance. The step back from the big city really helps you appreciate and get the feel for Tuscany. The best part of this hostel is the atmosphere. It's an old monastery with multiple buildings and a little herb garden. The other hostelers were very down to earth as well.

Be prepared for the walk from the train station to the hostel! That aside, great kitchen facilities and peaceful location (you do get some noise from the trains and roads). Hammocks in their gardens are great, bring some insect repellent to keep the mosquitos away!!! Staff weren't overly helpful, give you a basic map and that's about it. Overall a good hostel to escape for a few days.

Great place to visit, relax and experiance the Tuscan lifestyle. We spent 4 night here and would highly recommend it to anyone considering staying.

• 7th Jun 2014

I can't wait to go back! I extended my stay rather than stay in Florence. Great access to all of Tuscany- 50 mins train from Florence, closer to Siena. Be aware there is a 25 min walk from the Certaldo train station.

I can't recommend this place enough. The people who run this amazing property (Francesco, Sabrina, and Aleksandra) are incredibly nice and make sure you have a great stay. The property itself is beautiful. It's their family home but it was formerly a convent of Benedictine monks and dates to the end of the 13th century. The place has character, charm, and is everything someone could want while staying in Tuscany or near Florence. I originally booked 1 night ...but stayed 4! I wish it was longer.

• 5th Jun 2014

The hostel was beautiful, the perfect follow-up to a long stay in Rome. The bike rentals were a great addition, and pizza night at the vineyard might be one of the highlights of my entire stay in Italy. My only suggestion would be mark the reception area a little more clearly to avoid embarrassing, intrusive mishaps. I think I could have ended up staying here for weeks if I didn't have to catch my flight!

this place is amazing. To describe it best I would say it was one of only a handful of hostels on my trip so far (2months)that felt like home. With a crew of only four for the first couple nights we all became great friends. It's 1hr outside florence but you can easily do a day trip there for the leather market. It's a great place to relax. You can go for local walks or bike rides with the free bicycles. The coop is a bit out of the way but they have facilities to cook so you can save money :)

• 28th May 2014

Everything is perfect!!!! Clean rooms, amazing manager, big garden, good place. I recommend to visit this hostel.

Great escape from the big cities. Wine and pizza night at the vineyard was a plus. I loved the hammocks. Wifi only works in main office building.

• 24th May 2014

Best place on Earth! The guesthouse is a very big old place with so many secrets. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious.The bathrooms are good. The kitchen is perfect!. There are hammocks in the big beautiful garden and a pool for summer! They lend you their bikes so you can enjoy the town(they're THAT nice!) and they have special events. The owner,Francesco, is very nice to his guests and Sabrina and Alex are the best! Love this place

If you are planning your stay at Fattoria Bassetto for two nights, I'd suggest three. Three nights? Forget it, make it four. If you are looking for a respite from the busy tourist life then you need to stay here.An easy hour on the train to Firenze, but Certaldo has so much to offer. Don't expect all the mod cons though - it is from the 13th century - but do expect a basic breakfast in the morning to start you off for the day and excellent local advice from the staff. Seriously, stay here.

I was supposed to stay at Fattoria Bassetto for one night and I ended up staying there for 5 nights. That's just the perfect place to use as a base to start exploring Tuscany. Train station is at a walk distance and from there you can reach any place in Tuscany without being in the rush of the most touristic spot, as Florence. The guest house has a warm atmosphere, makes you feel immediately home. Even staying there, laid on the hammock was a great pleasure.

• 15th May 2014

Loved my stay at Fattoria Bassetto! Lovely place, lovely people, wonderful time exploring Tuscany and relaxing! Had a lot of fun biking around the area, Bassetto supplies free bikes so it's a great way to discover the area. Great wine too!

If you want a different experience away from the city then this is it. Staff were really helpful letting us use the bikes free of charge to explore the country side. Facilities were average. it was freezing with no heating and only a thin blanket to stay warm. There was no hot water in the shower which wasnt pleasant. Breakfast was poor.

1 2 Next » last »