Frogshollow Lodge & Backpackers Reviews

27 Lindsay St, GPO Box 410 - Berrimah 0828, Darwin, Australia

Reception opens at 4pm. I was there at 12 so I had to wait hours. My room was dark and dirty, rubbish everywhere. No possibilities to climb on the top of the bunkbed or to lock stuff in the room. I didn't feel save and so I flew as soon as I could into another hostel in Darwin.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Hi there, Were glad you found somewhere that suited your needs - Darwin is an amazing place with markets and great fishing. In quiet season we close from midday till 4 pm - We have a system to check in while were not there but it does need to be coordinated a day or so before. We keep our costs down so we can be cheapest in Darwin. Most our guests are out in the middle of the day and we sell 3 cans of soft drink, so we shut for a nap and reopen at 4 this works well mostly. Sry for your delay.

Staff are brilliant helpful and really enjoying company. Very communal atmosphere relaxed and fun. Suits outgoing person. Open planned so brings people together.

• 29th Sep 2014

Hi there, THANK YOU I am really grateful for you taking the time to review our hostel. I have printed this to show to Iris and the rest of us so they know there efforts and love of frogs and the guests is recognized! WE hope your stay in Darwin was wonderful- If you need some insider info on things to do please ask us. HOT TIP for next time: Frogs-hollow art centre is directly opposite us thru the park and often have free or cheap exhibitions of local artists.

Frogs Hollow , is a great place to stay because of the people you meet , But it Really needs a huge Clean Up and a lot of repairs Done

• 6th Aug 2014

I'm sure the staff and everyone staying at this hostel are very nice but I only needed to go into reception see the kitchen and know it wasn't for me ! It was dirty and messy! Then a girl who just checked in came down from her room and said it wasn't nice or clean! I did not stay here I left straight away and found another hostel ! The youth shack !

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to submit feedback - We believe that frogs is awesome and want our guests to be happy. If your not happy we dont mind if you choose to go else where. Each person has a different personal fav in Darwin. Mines frogs and the amazing Park. Thats why when you decided not to stay we did not enforce the cancellation policy of 24 hours. We also provided you with all the info to help your stay. Thursday night markets ROCK

Whilst some members of staff were helpful and courteous, others were very unhelpful and distracted those that were trying to do their jobs professionally. They attempted to make me pay more for my room that I had agreed to when I booked online, owing to an apparent 'administrative error', which did not at all please me. The room was pleasant enough, but the hostel itself was filthy, noisy and badly maintained. I've stayed in other hostels for the same price that were much nicer than Frogshollow.

• 3rd Aug 2014

Hi there, We are sory for the misunderstanding. You were given an upgrade and a discount of $6 during your stay. Only paying the booked price. The upgrade was given as a result of an error. We soon realized this and gave it to you for the discounted rate. As travelers ourselves we know that what you book you want to pay. WE completely agree and this is why we honored your booking price. Im sure at the time when we realized we were a bit confused. but it wasn't our intent. Chelsea

I have never seen a hostel reviewed so negatively. It was reasonably priced, the staff were friendly, it was clean and in a good location. I could not find fault with it

Hi there Graham, Thanks for taking the time to review our home. I am so glad you mentioned that the staff were nice- Our little team thrive on making frogs a genuine home for people and They will be ecstatic that you mentioned them. We agree that our location is pretty special. Watching the colours change over the park at dawn is my personal fav. Thats what inspires the colours of frogs walls. Did you know that Frogs hollow Art center hosts amazing local art exhibits for free.

The staff were friendly and helpful but there is nobody on duty from 8pm to 8am and the entrance is not locked. The communal sitting areas, inside and out, were not cleaned. It was very busy and there appeared to be quite a sizeable section of the residents who were used to havijbg servants,

Hi Thank you for taking the time to add a review of your stay. I have printed your review and given a copy to our front staff as they love frogs and genuinely want to make each guest stay an awesome one. They will be really happy you mentioned them. Our night person is on site but only for calls or check-in questions. We have found by keeping costs down most guests are happy not to have a reception desk manned. We are the cheapest in town and this is one of the ways we are able to do it

Probably fine for the average backpacker but we struggled. We booked the 3 person room with ensuite. The room was tiny with db and bunk over it. The bed was pushed against wall so had to climb over the other person to go to loo. The en suite was a converted disabled toilet with no door except the entry to the main external walkway. But the main problem was despite signs everywhere saying no noise after 10, both nights we were there there were loud drunken parties under our window until 2am.

• 21st Jul 2014

Hi there , Thankyou for taking the time to give your feedback. Your visit was during a very festive time in Darwin July is fun filled starting with fireworks and small art events going into the festivals of darwin thru to August. Many of our guests get work with the set up and festival and hospitality industry and can get a bit excited at night. I do apologize that your stay was not a favorable one. The room was designed pure disabled and does have a complete open plan. Smooth rolling.

Filthy! Nothing is ever cleaned, the fridges always stink, bugs all over the bathrooms, rooms never cleaned properly-a quick run of a brush over the visible parts of the floor doesn't count! Friend was attacked on her way home one night as it's so isolated and dark down there- totally unsafe. Rude staff. Zero security. Do not stay here! They also feel they can kick you out at any time for no reason!!

• 3rd Jul 2014

Hi there, Thankyou for your feed back. You stayed with us for 9 days, then returned for 11 days, then booked over the net for a further 7 days. When you asked to extend there was no space available. You were not kicked out for no reason. its busy at this time of year. While it was awful that your friend was attacked in darwin, we are in the safer part of town away from the violence that occurs outside nightclubs. our location is well lit by street lights and expensive units and home all around

most of the showers are broken and reception was not open when we wanted to check out at 8 in the morning and get the deposit back. as we had to go to the airport we could not wait any longer.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

Could have cleaner bathrooms. Would have liked to turn off air conditioner but couldn't. Didn't like the fact that you had to deposit $10 for knife, fork, spoon and plate. Not practical when only staying one night. Didn't actually see any staff because of our odd hours,

Hi there Thanks heaps for writing your review. always looking for feedback. I am sory that you only stayed for a short stay. As Darwin is a gateway to the best camping and exploring that Darwin has to offer, we often found people borrowed crockery for there journey into Kakadu or the lush waterfalls of Litchfield. We have trialed a lot of different kitchen supplies system and found that it was best to offer a cost price deposit $1 per knife or fork,spoon, teaspoon $2 for a cup bowl plate.

Gave away my bed after a week

• 26th Jun 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review Frogs. We love it and want to share the Frogs spirit with as many as possible. Its this reason we sell our beds online. As a result, sometimes we sell out in advance. Meaning in the busy season if you had checked in for a week and only advised us on your check out date, there may not be a bed available. We understand this can cause some annoyance as you need to leave our awesome friends and family but we are happy to advise of the next date possible to stay

great pool, big enough kitchen, nice staff, weekly rate very good, more than enough showers anyone could walk in the hostel, room doors often left unlocked, rooms too small, extremely noisy, rooms very messy.

Hi there Thank you for taking the time to review our home. We love frogs and am stoked you found it was big and cheap enough. I agree the rooms are often left unlocked by our laid back guests, as the atmosphere and unique way that everyone knows each other and trusts each others space. We are constantly reminding guests to lock doors, but its a reflection of how much they love the place- they feel so at home. Random freebie tip- after dark at stokes hill wharf you can feed giant moon fish

the hostel wasn't clean at all, it smelled really badly everywhere we went, the facilities are so disgusting that we felt seriously uncomfortable using them at all and for 26$ per night we just expected it to be at least clean and tidy.

The Hostel was noch really clean, Eg the kitchen. I did't like it there, its also not close to the main Streets with all the bars. A big plus of the hostel is the public park next to it

I just stayed there for three days, but it was totally fine. It was the cheapest Hostel in Darwin, not on the main street, but just 5 min away from it. The room was never looked (but I think it was because of my dorm mates) and it was kinda dirty and really hot. But all in all it was really alright,the atmosphere is nice and its not too big! It also has a laundry inside. Its just strange that u have to rent every single item for the kitchen and they dont tell you when u check in.I recommend it!

Avoid that hostel!!! I have been in many hostels in Australia and this one is the worst. Staff is unfriendly, the rooms are disgusting, food everywhere! It is not worth 1 $.

Although this hostel is grubby and fairly dirty. The kitchen and bathroom is given a good clean every night. It's just the communal areas and bedrooms which are filth. Staff are lovely and friendly and helpful especially Keri. I stayed here the end of April 2014 and would recommend a a/c room as it was far too hot in a fan room. It's about a 10 min walk from the main streets, so depends on what you are after. The atmosphere in this hostel is great, feels like a family.

Smelly, messy rooms. Staff friendly. Ants on the bedsheets, luckily No bedbugs!

• 24th Apr 2014

I think the sheets had not been changed in my single room and I heard rats or mice at night.

• 19th Apr 2014