Frogshollow Lodge & Backpackers Reviews

27 Lindsay St, GPO Box 410 - Berrimah 0828, Darwin, Australia

This place is a good place to make party and meet people. But bedrooms are tidy and don't shut, everybody can come in your room. Bathrooms and toilets are really dirty.

• 9th Jul 2015

Pros: Convenient location near Darwin CBD. Wifi was decent. Price was good. The staff were very friendly and informative. Cons: The place was filthy, the bathrooms were among the worst I've seen in two years of backpacking. The quiet hours were ignored and guests drank until 3-4 in the morning. Hostel staff did not attempt to quiet them. The kitchen was small and quite crowded.

It wasn't clean and always messy. But we still had a good time.

Very dirty, lot of noise, old facilities

• 5th Jun 2015

You don't expect much when the receptionist apologizes multiple times for the condition of the room when checking you in. The dorm was crowded and many people complained about not being able to find their unoccupied bed when checking in. The door was often left open because it was so hot. The breakfast was simple white bread and condiments, the beds were very worn and some were on the verge of breaking. I might still consider staying there again because it was cheaper than the alternatives.

Never again. I have never seen anything like it. I arrived in the evening. People were drinking and playong loud music. When I saw my room all I wanted was to run away. It smelled bad and it was one big mess. The luggage amd stuff from the other guests were everywhere. I had no clue where to put mine. I wanted to have it up next to me in the bed, because I was afraid someone might go through my stuff. The beds I didn't even want to touch it. The place just screamed bacterias. So I left immediat

Really dirty and so cramped

• 24th May 2015

Could not sleep! Yes it was a Saturday night during the dry season, I was expecting a little noise but to have music playing until 6am! That's just so rude! No staff told them to turn it down or have a curfew in place. Not only that but the fact that the bed sheets still had cum stains on it was the most disturbing feeling of all. Next time I'll sleep in the park across the street.

• 23rd May 2015
  • New Zealand

Bathrooms where quite disgusting with some of the showers not even having heads on them and drunken guests were allowed to play lound music till sometimes 5am

• 14th May 2015

The place is probably ok for a young backpacker from overseas but it is noisy for those wanting sleep. The place was cleaned ok by backpackers but needs updating and renovating. Showers hot and strong and enough toilet paper. I would not go again because I am an older person but the young ones seemed to be having a ball.

The hostel can definitely divide the reviewers into 2 extremes depending on the idea of a "backpacker's hostel". If you're looking for 4 walls and tons of fun with the people, then this hostel is for you.

This hostel is disgusting, dirty, noisy, without airconditionner. The room are like a jail . The mattress are disgusting. The atmosphere is very noisy everyone is drunk. Not recommend at all!!!

• 17th Apr 2015

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to review our home. Were a small family run place and offer rooms of many sizes. Some with Air con some with out. The prices for the fan cooled room are the cheapest. All stays include free WiFi and free breakfast. I hope that help a little. I understand that you did not like the other guests drinking and we apologize for that. However we do not sell alcohol and encourage guests to have a BYO with a bbq. A less commercial more friendly way to socialize.

Reception opens at 4pm. I was there at 12 so I had to wait hours. My room was dark and dirty, rubbish everywhere. No possibilities to climb on the top of the bunkbed or to lock stuff in the room. I didn't feel save and so I flew as soon as I could into another hostel in Darwin.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Hi there, Were glad you found somewhere that suited your needs - Darwin is an amazing place with markets and great fishing. In quiet season we close from midday till 4 pm - We have a system to check in while were not there but it does need to be coordinated a day or so before. We keep our costs down so we can be cheapest in Darwin. Most our guests are out in the middle of the day and we sell 3 cans of soft drink, so we shut for a nap and reopen at 4 this works well mostly. Sry for your delay.

Staff are brilliant helpful and really enjoying company. Very communal atmosphere relaxed and fun. Suits outgoing person. Open planned so brings people together.

• 29th Sep 2014

Hi there, THANK YOU I am really grateful for you taking the time to review our hostel. I have printed this to show to Iris and the rest of us so they know there efforts and love of frogs and the guests is recognized! WE hope your stay in Darwin was wonderful- If you need some insider info on things to do please ask us. HOT TIP for next time: Frogs-hollow art centre is directly opposite us thru the park and often have free or cheap exhibitions of local artists.

Frogs Hollow , is a great place to stay because of the people you meet , But it Really needs a huge Clean Up and a lot of repairs Done

• 6th Aug 2014

I'm sure the staff and everyone staying at this hostel are very nice but I only needed to go into reception see the kitchen and know it wasn't for me ! It was dirty and messy! Then a girl who just checked in came down from her room and said it wasn't nice or clean! I did not stay here I left straight away and found another hostel ! The youth shack !

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to submit feedback - We believe that frogs is awesome and want our guests to be happy. If your not happy we dont mind if you choose to go else where. Each person has a different personal fav in Darwin. Mines frogs and the amazing Park. Thats why when you decided not to stay we did not enforce the cancellation policy of 24 hours. We also provided you with all the info to help your stay. Thursday night markets ROCK

Whilst some members of staff were helpful and courteous, others were very unhelpful and distracted those that were trying to do their jobs professionally. They attempted to make me pay more for my room that I had agreed to when I booked online, owing to an apparent 'administrative error', which did not at all please me. The room was pleasant enough, but the hostel itself was filthy, noisy and badly maintained. I've stayed in other hostels for the same price that were much nicer than Frogshollow.

• 3rd Aug 2014

Hi there, We are sory for the misunderstanding. You were given an upgrade and a discount of $6 during your stay. Only paying the booked price. The upgrade was given as a result of an error. We soon realized this and gave it to you for the discounted rate. As travelers ourselves we know that what you book you want to pay. WE completely agree and this is why we honored your booking price. Im sure at the time when we realized we were a bit confused. but it wasn't our intent. Chelsea

I have never seen a hostel reviewed so negatively. It was reasonably priced, the staff were friendly, it was clean and in a good location. I could not find fault with it

Hi there Graham, Thanks for taking the time to review our home. I am so glad you mentioned that the staff were nice- Our little team thrive on making frogs a genuine home for people and They will be ecstatic that you mentioned them. We agree that our location is pretty special. Watching the colours change over the park at dawn is my personal fav. Thats what inspires the colours of frogs walls. Did you know that Frogs hollow Art center hosts amazing local art exhibits for free.

The staff were friendly and helpful but there is nobody on duty from 8pm to 8am and the entrance is not locked. The communal sitting areas, inside and out, were not cleaned. It was very busy and there appeared to be quite a sizeable section of the residents who were used to havijbg servants,

Hi Thank you for taking the time to add a review of your stay. I have printed your review and given a copy to our front staff as they love frogs and genuinely want to make each guest stay an awesome one. They will be really happy you mentioned them. Our night person is on site but only for calls or check-in questions. We have found by keeping costs down most guests are happy not to have a reception desk manned. We are the cheapest in town and this is one of the ways we are able to do it

Probably fine for the average backpacker but we struggled. We booked the 3 person room with ensuite. The room was tiny with db and bunk over it. The bed was pushed against wall so had to climb over the other person to go to loo. The en suite was a converted disabled toilet with no door except the entry to the main external walkway. But the main problem was despite signs everywhere saying no noise after 10, both nights we were there there were loud drunken parties under our window until 2am.

• 21st Jul 2014

Hi there , Thankyou for taking the time to give your feedback. Your visit was during a very festive time in Darwin July is fun filled starting with fireworks and small art events going into the festivals of darwin thru to August. Many of our guests get work with the set up and festival and hospitality industry and can get a bit excited at night. I do apologize that your stay was not a favorable one. The room was designed pure disabled and does have a complete open plan. Smooth rolling.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7