Girassol Hostel Reviews

Rua Purpurina 199 F, Vila Madalena., Sao Paulo, Brazil

I can't express by words how much i like this hostel. The manager Lucas was amazing. I am not sure one of the guy name but he just started the day I arrived there which was on the 17th July 2014. Both of them were so helpful. I wish I could stay longer at the hostel but too bad I got to fly off the next day. It changes my view of Sao Paolo. I don't like Sao Paolo at all when I first arrived there but after staying in Girassol Hostel I actually like it there.

Objectively this was probably the worst hostel I have ever stayed in despite a great location. It is a small house not a hostel also there is random crap everywhere. I am a small person who never feels cramped on planes but in the dorm I literally could not move. You have to sleep with your bag on your bed. The breakfast was very average. And although the staff are really nice i have the impression they mostly stand around and chill out with guests rather than do much work.

Really terrible experience. I would never stay there again.

I had a great time here even when sharing a room with 7 boys as it was during the World Cup lol. Staff very friendly and helpful. Paid a little more than I feel it's worth but that was only because it was the World Cup. Great vibe.

Ok, but more space needed - everywhere; rooms, common area, kitchen. Smoking near the reception would have been normal in the last century - now the world has progressed... Having said this, some guests said it was the best hostel they had stayed in... My grade would be 65.

This is a true backpacker place. The staff is very friendly and helpful, it is a great place to meet people and hang out with them. If you like it quiet and peacful, this is not the right place.

Very nice stay! Food for free during World Cup games (they cooked us hot dog, feijoada, popcorn and BBQ !!). There is a nice urban terrace full of beautiful grafitti! Staff and location are great and there is a supermarket across the street. Short walk to the subway st and 3 minutes walk to the Vila Madalena Fun Fest!

When we arrived at like 3am we had to sort some travel stuff out. We sat downstairs and there were locals who were utterly rude. Saying in Portuguese that he didn't accept the fact that 'gringos' didn't learn Portugese and tourist should adapt etc. You're in a hostel with guests from around the world, everyone communicates with each other via Spanish or English. I speak 5 languages but felt very offended by the way he spoke -thought he was a friend of staff not sure. Just wanted to let you know

Fell in love with this place and didn't want to leave. Can't wait to come back here in the future. -Australian guy who loved fried frango

Very nice girl working there. ;-) Geoffrey, Belgium

I had blast during my stay in Girassol Hostel. Mostly it was due to the amazing staff. I felt like I was home and I will definitely go back before I leave.

• 11th Jun 2014

Great staff, super helpful, great location, really fun. Not heaps of people but everyone who comes has a great time, brazilian BBQ is great so is free spaghetti thursday. Dorms are a little cramped but the staff always out to help

I really enjoyed my stay! The location is very good, Vila Madalena is a pretty and interesting neighbourhood with lots of artists and a great nightlife and right across the street is a supermarket. The hostel is in an old house, with a roofdeck and an nice open kitchen, the dorms are a bit tiny but clean. But the best thing about the hostel is definitely the staff! Very welcoming, generous, open and warm. Made me really feel home and beeing welcome. Great atmosphere! I can only recommend it!!

• 5th Jun 2014

We didn't take some of the reviews that said the place was cramped too seriously, but it's true. To move from the door of the room to the other side of the room, you'd have a hard time wheeling a small roller bag. That should give you an idea of how tight it is. It was too much for me personally. The people there where welcoming and nice though and the neighborhood is great.

Great area, great staff, great atmosphere

• 31st May 2014

Great homey feeling! Its a bit norrow inside, but the family spirit is great! And the lacation is perfect too: across is a supermarket and its in the middle of Vila Madalena. The neighbourhood.

• 30th May 2014

Small, but very nice hostel. Staff was great, and the atmosphere as well. A good time spent in Sao Paulo. I recommend

The staff are incredible! Upon arrival we were greeted with fresh coffee and cake and asked to have a chat. The rooms were clean and very comfy, bathrooms pristine. The staff knew the best places to eat and directions to metro and everything. We will definitely return!! Loved it here!

• 27th May 2014

This hostel is really all about the staff. If not for the staff it would not have been good at all. Great breakfast, good kitchen. Its a really small hostel and the 8bed dorm is so cramped. It should have been a 6bed. Also the downstairs toilet was rented out as "private" during our stay which caused lines (12ppl/1 toilet). They shouldnt give that option since it causes wait for so many others. After all: EXCELLENT STAFF!!!! Would recommend just because of the ppl working there

Atmosphere was excellent. Good location, nice and friendly staff. they made a BBQ for us!! But we had just one bathroom for 10 people.