Girassol Hostel Reviews

Rua Purpurina 199 F, Vila Madalena., Sao Paulo, Brazil

The rooms are small but the location is the best. Across the street from the supermarket and in the middle of Vila Madalena, 5-10 minute walk to the metro station, and very friendly and helpful staff. There were only 2 bathrooms but it was never a problem- I rarely had to wait to use one and I came during a very busy weekend. I highly recommend staying here on your trip to Sao Paulo!

• 4th Apr 2014

Great staff, very welcoming! Great location, felt very safe and right next to a supermarket! They offered lots of activities which helped us to meet other people in the hostel such as their amazing homemade pasta night, BBQs and popcorn! breakfast was great and Lucas was extremely helpful and offered lots of advice on what to do. Would definitely stay again!

I just stayed one night at this hostel, but I really liked it. The hostel is small, but i think that's the thing that makes it special, because it doesn't feel like you are on a hostel, it feels like you are at home. Also, the staff is really friendly and always trying to help, they were very kind with me. Even though I just stayed one night, they invited me to come every thursday to get some free spaghetti. The localization is perfect and the room was clean and comfortable.

A small and charming hostel with amazing staff! Very helpful and friendly, made you feel like home. Don't forget to stay over a Thursday so you can enjoy Lucas homemade pasta, for free!

• 5th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

We really enjoyed our stay at Girassol...so much that 2 nights became 10! The staff were brilliant - helpful, fun and friendly. The hostel was a little cramped but this added to the sociable atmosphere - it feels like you're staying at a friends house rather than a hostel and we met some good people. The double private room we stayed in opened up to the reception so privacy was a small concern but overall a highly recommended hostel.

• 27th Feb 2014

Fantastic staff! Very welcoming and friendly. Room was pretty small an cramped but the hostel was very clean and comfortable.

• 25th Feb 2014

Absolutely love this hostel!! Feels like a share house with the most amazing house mates. I've been on the road for 9 weeks now and these guys are the most generous, accommodating people I've come across. They are also brilliant cooks. And you can't beat vila madalena for location in São Paulo. Highly recommend!

A charming hostel with endearing staff. It is a small hostel that for me seemed to have a big heart, and it is in a great location with even a supermarket directly opposite. The kitchen was a hub of activity and the manager even cooked spaghetti for the guests! Whilst it can get a little busy, the atmosphere was amazing.

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Scotland

Great homemade bread for breakfast! Amazing spaghetti (the manager has been cooking this for almost 10 years now) on thursdays nights! One of the best BBQs! Loved the grilled pineapples! Vey clean. It´s a small and charming hostel. Feels like home. Great location at Vila Madalena. Next to the subway. They got new fans in every dorm and room...even in the kitchen! Good idea for brazilian summer!!

This was one of the most expensive hostels we've stayed in in 17 months and was a real disappointment. The room and bathroom were fine but there was always a wait for the bathroom. The wifi was really weak or not working. The breakfast was terrible. One day it just wasn't put out and the other days there was just empty pots of jam and flat fried bits of chewy dough. The directions on here were useless so we got lost finding it.

Very nice and cozy hostel in one of the nicest suburb of Sao Paulo. The place is very small but comfortable nonetheless, with all the necessary services. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, powered by frequent evening events such as social barbecue and spaghetti night!

• 14th Jan 2014

I was the only guest at the hostel, but the staff was friendly and helpful.

One of our favourite hostels in all of south america! Great community vibes, many dinners/drinks arranged by hostel, the main host Lucas is a legend. Very helpful, always full of advice and tips, even personally dropped us in his car to our bus connection. Great location in heart of trendy bar area (vila madalena). Quirky colorful hostel. Highly recommend.

Great, and extremely helpful staff!

Such a lovely place! It is indeed very small, but you feel like you're walking into your friend's house. Great location in Vila Madalena. The bathrooms were ok, not the best but definitely not the worse! The room I stayed in was the average hostel room, And the staff.. Lucas and Paty are lovely! Thank you both!

• 23rd Nov 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Girassol. The location is great, with loads of bars and restaurants near by. It's also very easy to socialise with the other guests. But what really makes this hostel special is the staff. Lucas and Paty really make you feel welcome and at home, and go out of their way to guide and help you. Thanks guys!

Staff is the best at the hostel!!! The house is not too big but it has everything.

Nice hostel, if a little cramped. The staff were all very helpful, and the place is located in a very good spot in Vila Madelena, nice and close to lots of good bars and restaurants!