Gîte d'Etape - Youth Hostel Jacques Brel Reviews

Rue de la Sablonnière 30, Brussels, Belgium

I didn't find the staff to be helpful or friendly. When asked for suggestions for places to eat or visit the answers I got were uncaring. I was also extremely upset to find that the charge for the towels ( 3 euro) was so high and not a security deposit. In all the hostels that I have stayed in, the money has always been a security deposit. On top of that, the internet was very crappy. Every 10 minutes you were kicked off, and it was so slow you couldn't load google in 10 minutes.

Good atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, great breakfast. It takes a 10-12 minute walk to the centre, but it's a good location if you want to stay next to the centre but without all that crowded noisy atmosphere.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • Portugal

We took the private room with two beds. The room was good and we could connect to wifi from our room. However, though the shower room and toilet were only for us, they were located outside of our room. And the shower didn't work well. It was so weak that my friend didn't even take a shower for two nights lol. If only the shower was fine, it would have been excellent.

Very nice facilities and rooms. The only downside was that we were there on a Friday night and unfortunately the place was not happening at all despite them having ample facilities.

This is a very big hostel, so you don't really get a very hostel-ish vibe. Nevertheless, it was pretty good. The facilities are very clean and everything is efficient. The free breakfast is good and there is a big selection. They also have a bar which I was not able to check out. Location was fine, it's an easy walk to the city center. My only main complaint is the wifi - it does not reach the rooms (at least on the 3rd floor where I was).

Hi Sofia, Thank you for your comment. Glad to hear you enjoyed our organic breakfast. Our bar is a nice place to connect with the others guests (and we have a large selection of belgian beers :) We are working on a new WIFI system to connect all the hostel. It will be available in June. See you soon on the HI network. Cheers, Virginie

Our bathroom didn't smell very good at all. That is my only complaint. Other than that it was a wonderful stay, great location and the staff was quite friendly (complimented me on my Quebecois accent and all). It is of course low season, so it was not too busy. But it must be an amazing and exciting place to stay in the summer when it is packed with people!

• 6th Feb 2015

hello thanks for your comments and sorry for the bad smell, it has already been fixed we'll be happy to welcome you again sometime in summer so we could have a chance to show you how busy it gets ! bon voyage within the hi circle regards phil

The staff in the front desk were very helpful and always smiley. I was there in 2008 and I could notice renovations, specially in the bathrooms, wich makes it look nicer. The only wierd thing was with the bar tender, I don't know why he was shouting to one of the customers and as I could appreciate the moment, there was no need to shout and say unnecesary unpolite things. The WiFi is not available in the 4th floor. the rest of the experience was good.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Mexico

Hello Paulina , Thank you for your nice comment . We renoved also the lobby , you have to see this ! The hostel is brand new :) I'm very sad to read that there was a confusion with the bartender , we will talk to him to see and manage what happen . Hope to see you again soon in our youth hostel !

Good breakfast, comfortable rooms , well located and a very good free walking tour available!

• 16th Jan 2015

g'day thanks for your message we're glad you enjoyed your stay among us and we wish you the best within the hi community regards phil

The hostel is amazing, really clean and comfortable. We had a room with bathroom and it was big and clean. The staff is really smart and kind . Mattia is a great guy and was very helpful. The location is nice and closer to the botanical garden, so pretty central. We had a great time and i really recommend this place!

g'day thanks a lot your good comments the hostel staff do his best to welcome guests in the best possible manner bon voyage within the HI hostels on your way regards phil

Nice hostel, little bit of a walk from the main attractions. Staff were very nice.

hello, thanks for leaving a comment about your stay we're 15 minutes walk from dowtown city center, where you can find the "grand-place " we'd appreciate your good feedback regards phil

The hostel is amazing! It's clean, que staff is very helpfull, it's close to the city center (15 minutes walking) and there is a metro station nearby, as well The North bus station. The breakfast is great also and there is a pub in the ground floor where you can taste some belgian beers!

• 7th Jan 2015

Hi, thanks so much for your really nice comment. We are one of the most central hostels in Brussels, and you can easily reach all the main points of the city. We try to give the best service possible and we are really proud when we can read a comment like yours! Hope to see you again here or in another HI hostel 'round the world! Mattia

Afternoon guy receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The girl in the morning was not. I got lost trying to find the hostel. When I called for directions, she told me to just go in a bar and ask. When I arrived and after I placed my stuffs in the storage (cause it was not yet check-in time), I asked for directions going to a place. She answered but she seems to be more focused with other things in her computer. The room floor was dirty, looks like it has not been cleaned for some time.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write us a comment. I'm sorry for what it happens and I will ask to my colleague what happens, surely she has a real good reason to be like that! Sometimes it is really difficult to explain how to come here if the person doesn't even know where he is and it happens quite often that people spend a lot for understanding nothing finally. I will personally take note in which room you was in order to find why does the floor was dirty (according to you)! Cheers

Customer service was great as they were very open to questions and even recommended places to visit in Brussels. The facilities, however, were lacking as the ensuite bathroom only had one knob for hot water in the shower. The water was scalding hot and it was not possible to take a decent shower. Also, the room's door made much noise as it had gaps around the latch and it did not hold the door in place. Hence, the door would vibrate when neighbouring doors were closed or opened too forcefully.

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Singapore

Dear, I am happy you find our staff great, we try always to do our best to give the best service possible. For the hot shower, you could have to ask at the reception to check the boiler, maybe it out-of-adjustment. The same as the doors, if we knew it we would be able to fix in a short time. A few oil could have solved the inconvenience! Hope you will visit us again soon so we could offer you a beer! :D Cheers, Mattia

I liked this hostel very much. It is very close to metro station, the rooms are big, the breakfast satisfactory! Very nice the internal bar.

hello thanks for your good comment 2 minutes from metro station botannique, 75 % organic breakfast, best of all within the hi circle regards phil

Our staying at the hostel was perfect! The room was nice and cozy; the atmosphere very international, with easygoing guests; and the staff helpful and polite (particularly the Italian guy at the reception).

Hello , Thank you for your coment , I give the word to Mattia our Italian receptionnist :) Hope to see you again soon in the HI network. Claire

The only person very nice with us was Mattia the italian one. The other staff did not help us with energy smile or happiness. The breakfast was quite poor. In our room the shower does not work for 3 days: cold and poor water even if we suggested the broken since the beginning of our stay. The location is not centred and at night is quite dangerous because closer there is a kinda of poor people facilities.

Really nice hostel. Good staff. Good facilities. It has everything you need and its really nice plae to stay. Internet only works in the lobby, not in the bedrooms, but I hightly recommended it.

hello thank you for your comments weare glad you had a great time we're doing our best for our guests bon voyage regards phil

Brilliant hostel, excellent atmosphere just a shame about the ignorant barman. Other than that it is one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

The breakfast is great!

It was a very pleasant stay. The staff was very helpful, the prices were good and the facilities were always clean. Breakfast was satisfatory also. The Hostel is really near to one metro station so that was another advantage as well.