Gîte d'Etape - Youth Hostel Jacques Brel Reviews

Rue de la Sablonnière 30, Brussels, Belgium

This is one of the best hostels I've stayed in so far. It is very bright, modern, nicely decorated, full of people and perfect more making new friendships. I stayed in a 6-bed room which was quite spacy. I like the fact that the rooms are en-suite, it makes life a bit easier. The atmosphere is like it should be in every hostel - relaxed, but lively. The breakfast was hearty, with a wide choice of foods. What I liked the most was the staff - the guys at the reception desk were simply the best :)

Loved the hostel and the staff. Everybody was so lovely and so helpful, the room was really clean, the breakfast was good. Everything went perfect during my stay. I do recommend!

Okay hostel overall. Staff were really great and the breakfast was good as well. Rooms are quite big as well which is always better. Wifi has a terrible connection, it would take me two or three logins to start using it. It's only available on the reception floor as well which is just annoying. Beds are very uncomfortable and the room I was in was extremely noisy. Bar played insanely loud music, and the music that was played was not enjoyable. No toilet in ensuite rooms.

Great experience here. The staff are really friendly and make you feel welcome - even help you make friends! The rooms were of really good quality and not too far from the town centre (10/15 min walk) - Fantastic Hostel!

• 9th Aug 2015

The hostel is very clean, especially the bathroom and WC. Just one point, wifi is only available on ground floor but not in rooms.

• 6th Aug 2015
  • Hong Kong

A great place to stay, in a quite area but also only a 10 minute walk from the city centre and 5 mins from the nearest metro station. Stayed in a twin room which was very clean and the bathroom was good. Lockers in the room and the hostel does a good breakfast. Will definitely stay here the next time I'm in Brussels. A bit weird having a public balcony outside the room but the windows kept most of the noise out.

Thanks so much for the really precise review, it is really good to have such positive and accurate comments!!! Hope to see you again in our hostel or in another HI hostel around the world, Cheers Mattia

For my first hostel and solo-traveling experience, I think I got lucky with this one - I felt that my belongings and my self were safe, and the breakfast every morning was a huge plus. The free walking tour advertised by the hostel was a great introduction to Brussels as well as an opportunity to meet others staying in the hostel.

• 4th Aug 2015

I'm so glad for two reason : 1st we are our first hostel experience 2nd you are satisfied about that!!! :D Hope to see you again here so!!! Cheers Mattia

One of the best hostels that I have stayed in. Next to the botanique metro station (calm nice area) but also not that far from centre by walking. The hostel is ideal if you want to meet people as there is a bar downstairs and even some live music and barbeque from time to time. The hostel staff is amazing and they really make you feel yourself at home! Only cons would be that there are not so many places to charge phone in the room and wifi only downstairs. Good reasons to go to the bar!

This hostel was ok, very low key. Wouldn't recommend it for travelers looking to meet people. Wifi is only available in the common area which proved to be a bit annoying. Overall, it was clean, felt safe. My only other concern with this hostel is the location - it was about a 15 or 20 minute walk from the city centre. Normally I don't mind a long walk, however in the evening the streets are very quiet (in comparison to other big cities) and I didn't feel very safe walking home.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • madelinerae

Wonderful stay. Would stay there again. The staff was pleasant and the atmosphere was very nice. Though the wifi only worked on the first floor you got to meet nice people. There's a beautiful terrace on the second floor and a very convenient bar near the lobby. The walk to the city center is not far and downhill. Awesome.

The room was not clean but the problem was more or less solved with help from nice staff. The room was unfortunatlely quite un-cosy. Breakfast was allright and location is good.

"Ensuite" just means a shower in the room - toilets are down the hall. The staff is rude and condescending. There are only tiny lockers in the rooms, not big enough for your luggage, just valuables. There are not dedicated charging plugs for each bed. The breakfast is really good. It's about 10-15 minutes walk from the city centre - at night the immediate neighborhood is empty and sketchy. The hostel is not a great place to meet people and mix. However it's clean and decent.

Dear Rachel, thank you very much for your comment, we always need a feedback! However I have to clarify something, in 6 beds dorms you have 1 shower and two sinks and you have 2 toilets just in front of the room as in all floors of the hostel, so you wouldn't need to go downstairs. Please, next time check it better or ask at the reception! I don't know what is it for you to be condescending, but we just try to do our best to satisfy our guests. Hope to see you in other HI hostels! Mattia

Best place we stayed in our interrail trip. Clean rooms, kitchen for use, good location. Just let us use kitchen after 10pm too.

Enjoyed our stay at this hostel. We were happy with the breakfast selection. We used the kitchen facilities and ate dinner at the Babel bar. The location, staff and atmosphere was quite nice.The only suggestion is to improve the smell in the ladies washroom on the 2nd floor. It was quite unpleasant.

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

the hostel is OK in general, the atmosphere is very weird though...it's a mixture of people of all ages, including parents with their kids so for anyone that's looking to have a little fun with same aged people, it's not going to happen... I stayed for the Tomorrowland 2015 weekend and they were going to throw a party at the bar which ended up being a group of 5 people sitting down having a quiet beer

The staff is extremeley friendly and helpful. I had some problems with my luggage, which was lost at the airport, and they were really kind, helping me out with phone calls, and asking me about it all the time. As for the facilities, it's very clean, organized and cheerful. Next to a subway station, and within walking distance of the city center.

Hello ! Thank you so much for your nice review! We're always happy when people feel good here and have a nice time & we're glad you collected your luggage in time! :) Hope to see you again in Brussels. Cheers, Virginie

Everything was perfect

It was a very nice stay, everything was great!

• 11th Jul 2015

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We love that you enjoyed your experience with us. Kind regards, Virginie

-2 bed ensuite was perfect. Lots of space and very clean. No aircon in the room but there were 4 windows for ventilation -lobby is huge, a lot of place to hang out -outdoor area outside the bar is nice to hangout -kitchen is massive and has a lot of utensils -free breakfast with a decent amount of food -very safe hostel with keycard access to the main gate

Thank you for your review - it is always good to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you staying here and we hope to see you on your next trip to Brussels! Cheers, Virginie

Big hostel but didn't feel too busy, relaxing atmosphere. Maybe not the best hostel for a solo traveller looking to meet people though. Some people have commented on distance from the historic centre, it is about a 15-20 min walk but the area is safe and I don't think this is too far to walk. I would stay here again.

Hi there, thank you for your nice & positive review! We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us but just a bit surprised that you don't recommend it for solo traveller. We have dorm rooms and a great social bar area that allows you to meet new people. Hope to see you soon. Kind Regards, Virginie