Gîte d'Etape - Youth Hostel Jacques Brel Reviews

Rue de la Sablonnière 30, Brussels, Belgium

Nice little hostel, walking distance to the main attractions. Very nice breakfast. On the downside stuff could be bit more helpful and cleanless of the bathroom should definitely improve! Still it's good value for money.

Hello , Thank you for your great comments and notes . Indeed we are located in a 15 minuts walking distance from the city center , with a lot of transports nearby the hostel . We are very happy you enjoyed our BIO breakfast , we only use Belgium product to offer you the best food we can find. We take into account your remark by report has the cleanliness of the bathrooms. We informed the person in charge of cleaning so that he deals with this problem. Best regards , Claire

Just one problem - I had problems to get my food out of the fridge in the kitchen on the day I left - since the check out time is 12 o'clock and it is not possible to open the kitchen before 12. The staff at the reception desk was very helpful and friendly, so they helped me to solve the problem. But it could be one thing to improve, because usually you need to store your food in the fridge even during the last night of your stay in the hostel. Apart form that I loved to stay at your hostel :-)

hello we thank you very much for your comment and notes !! the guest kitchen is open from 12 to 10 pm and the day you leave your key don't open the kitchen in the morning !! you did well by asking the reception a kitchen key . we wish you the best with the Hostelling International hostels around regards phil

Hotel location is not far from the city centre just some 15min walking ! And good staff and helpful too

• 25th Jan 2014

Hello ! Thanks for your comment :) We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us ! Have a nice trip within HI hostels Cheers, Agathe

The room was good, breakfast was perfect, location is also pretty good! i would definitely recommend the hostel!

Hi, thanks so much for your lovely commentary. It is always good to get good words ;D As you wrote we are right on the uptown and it is really comfortable to get to the centre or to the bigger stations. I am so happy you enjoy our breakfast, cause we try to do our best to have high standing of organic and local products. Hope to see you soon again here in Brussels or in another HI hostel all over the world, Sincerely, Mattia

The location is a bit difficult to find. Also cannot connect Wifi in the room. Others are good.

Thanks for your comment ! indeed we are located just next to rue royale, 15 minutes walking from the Grand Place but still in a residential street to enjoy a bit of calm in the heart of the city ;-) Wi-fi is available at the ground floor for free and we choose not to put wi-fi in the rooms so that people try to connect to each other rather than connect a computer :) We're happy you enjoyed all the rest and we wish you great experiences on the HI network around the World ! Aurélie

Loved that there was a bar at the bottom floor and a fun rec area. It was a bit far away from many of the sites that we wanted to walk to. Wonderful breakfast! One of the best we have had at a hostel!

Hello, Thank you for your comment, we are glad you enjoyed our hostel and his facilities and wish to welcome you during your next stay in Brussels. Cheers, Jeoffrey.

Fairly basic private room in an older hostel but give for a one night stay.

This was one of the best hostels I have seen in Europe! The front desk managers are really friendly! and you have to go to the hostel's own bar called the Babel bar because it has one of the funniest,riendliest and awesomest bartender ever! I am a girl and I was traveling alone but I had fun here! I did karaoke with some other people and the atmosphere was very lively! I would definitely go back here if I am in Brussels again! Location is ok but there is a metro just near by so no problem!

• 7th Dec 2013
  • India

Hi, Thank you for your nice comment, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at our place and will be pleased to welcome you during your next stay in Brussels. All the best, Jeoffrey.

Not much more you could ask for in a hostel. Everything was great. The included breakfast is one of the best I've seen at hostels. Well balanced and you can go back for seconds and thirds.

hi there, thanks for your comments and vibes ! we do appreciate your feedback concerning our breakfast : almost 100 % green , it's a must at the hostel J.Brel !! good luck with the HI hostels on your road cheers phil

All the staffs were really well informed and nice. Really clean place, the kitchen is good. You can easily walk to the center of the city, so no worries about coming back late.

Hello, Thanks for your comment, we're really happy you liked our hostel and its facilities. We're 15 minutes walk from the city-center, faster than the metro ! Wer wish you the best within the HI community. Best regards, Agathe

Very good hostel . location was good - easy to find. Staff was very helpful. The hostel has a very nice atmosphere. I am female and I was travelling alone and I felt safe. Highly recommended!

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Malaysia

Hello, Thank you for your comment, we are glad you enjoyed our facilities, we will be glad to see you around if you have a "next time" in Brussels. Cheers, Jeoffrey.

Excelent location (close to the Maidou station), nice staff, clean and good private room. Nice shower. I definitely go back there when I visit Brussels.

Olá, Obrigado por seu comentário, nós estamos contentes que você tenha gostado das nossas instalações, teremos o maior prazer de vê-lo ao redor, se você tem um "da próxima vez", em Bruxelas. Jeoffrey.

We stayed in a double room with bathroom. we had to wait a lot to find someone to refill our toilet paper. The bathroom was casted in plastic like in a boat, there was no place for two people inside. it was very difficult to clean. the common shelf in the kitchen was full of flies and insects. there was no common room. there were only four computer stations so nobody talked. no wifi in the room nor in the kitchen. bar with cheap beers. all in all you can find better places.

Hello, Thanks for your comment. All our rooms and batrooms will be changed/renovated in few month. These "cabine batroom" had done their time ! The common kitchen has to be clean by people using it, but it seems that some don't know it ! I hope you'll live great experience within the HI community :) Best regards, Agathe

Great breakfast and located close to the train station. Overall a pretty decent hostel. A couple of downside was that there is no toilet in the bathroom, only a sink and a shower in the private room. Another was the Wi-Fi couldn't reach the third floor. An inconvenience if you're trying to use the internet from your room. There are also no elevators so if you have a luggage, be prepared to lug it up the stairs.