Gîte d'Etape - Youth Hostel Jacques Brel Reviews

Rue de la Sablonnière 30, Brussels, Belgium

No wifi in the rooms and very poor decorated. Reception staff (with some exception) is slackering most of the time. It's not a bad hostel but it doesn't deserve its cost and rating.

hello thanks for your comment we are sorry you hadn't a good time regards phil

The hostel was great.

• 22nd Sep 2015
  • Estonia

Thanks so much for the short but really positive hostel, Hope to see you again, Cheers, Mattia

The staff was very helpful. I was only there for one night. It is a 15 minute walk to the grand place but it is a nice walk

Thanks so much for the great comment, we are happy you enjoyed your stay here in our hostel and we hope to see you son again, Cheers, Mattia

Good hostel. Shame for the homophobic hip-hop music at the bar.

• 19th Sep 2015
  • Spain

Thanks so much for you comment, it is always important to have a feedback from our guests. Concerning the music in the bar I wrote an email in order to clarify the situation. we are against any discrimination and we prove it every day with our actions against any type of discrimination. maybe our bartender didn't know the lyrics of the song. I'm so sorry, it will never happen again! Cheers, Mattia

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 14th Sep 2015

Thanks so much for the nice comment, hope to see you again in our hostel! cheers, Mattia

I totally enjoyed my stay here.

hello thanks a lot for your comments glad to hear you did enjoyed your stay regards and bon voyage phil

It was kinda far out from most things. Only two outlets for everyone and the wifi only really worked downstairs...

hello thaks for you comments we're 15 minutes walk from downtown city center we're curently working on the wifi signal best of all regards phil

Best Hostel I´ve ever stayed at! Only 15 Minutes walk to the city center (and next to bus and tram stations), very big and modern room with a fantastic new, spacious bathroom (we booked a room for3 persons with aprivate bathroom), all rooms had big windows, we were able to eat outside on a big balcony on the second floor and there was a room for our luggage which was unaccessable for strangers. Plus: the price for the room incl. breakfast (which was very, very good and included biofood) was fair

• 29th Aug 2015

The staff here are very nice and the location is decent-you can walk to most of Brussels main attractions in less than 20 minutes. The included breakfast was also good, there was a big selection. However, this hostel is seriously lacking in atmosphere. This is not the type of place to go if you are looking to meet other people. Also, just a note that when you book an ensuite room, it is not a full bathroom attached to the room. There is a sink and a shower in the room, but no toilets.

Thanks for the very nice stay :)

Ideal location; Just a 5 minute walk from the nearest metro and a 15 minute walk to Grand Place. Spacious but basic room; floor a little scruffy and some blinds broken. En-suite was just a sink and shower so had to use a communal toilet - This was however clean and well maintained. Couldn't pick up wifi on our floor (4th). Very friendly staff Breakfast included within the price and although no toaster, there was a good selection of food (yoghurt, cereal, fruit, bread etc) Overall a good stay

• 20th Aug 2015

A very friendly and welcoming hostel. Better than your average hostel as the place was very clean and the staff member we dealt with was chatty, friendly and helpful. I would recommend to anyone coming to stay in Brussels.

• 14th Aug 2015

This is one of the best hostels I've stayed in so far. It is very bright, modern, nicely decorated, full of people and perfect more making new friendships. I stayed in a 6-bed room which was quite spacy. I like the fact that the rooms are en-suite, it makes life a bit easier. The atmosphere is like it should be in every hostel - relaxed, but lively. The breakfast was hearty, with a wide choice of foods. What I liked the most was the staff - the guys at the reception desk were simply the best :)

Loved the hostel and the staff. Everybody was so lovely and so helpful, the room was really clean, the breakfast was good. Everything went perfect during my stay. I do recommend!

Okay hostel overall. Staff were really great and the breakfast was good as well. Rooms are quite big as well which is always better. Wifi has a terrible connection, it would take me two or three logins to start using it. It's only available on the reception floor as well which is just annoying. Beds are very uncomfortable and the room I was in was extremely noisy. Bar played insanely loud music, and the music that was played was not enjoyable. No toilet in ensuite rooms.

Great experience here. The staff are really friendly and make you feel welcome - even help you make friends! The rooms were of really good quality and not too far from the town centre (10/15 min walk) - Fantastic Hostel!

• 9th Aug 2015