HI Manaus Reviews

Rua Lauro Cavalcante 231 - Centro, Manaus, Brazil

The hostel was grungy, smelled, did not inspire a sense of well-being, and just generally left something to be desired. One of the bathrooms was out of toilet paper, and the person working the front desk did not know where to find more. On the plus side, in the morning the empregada (lady preparing breakfast) very nicely let us have breakfast early, as we were leaving early for the day.

Not your top of the line place, unfortunately. You do get help from staff, no complain there, but bathrooms need cleaning more often and rooms could use some fresh air. And please, give the sofa covers a good wash, they smell awfully. I understand the weather in Manaus doesn't help, but still...

Nice quaint hostel...really appreciated the excellent breatkfast: bread, lots of fruit, eggs, etc. Nice base for activiites.

I spend there just a night. I made my reservation one month before, but when I came there was no my reservation, they gave my room to someone else, and spend around 30-40 minutes before could prove, my reservation and finally got my room. At a beginning the guy on a desk just see that he is new there and he can not help me. If not the guide-man which lead me, I do not know how it could finished.

The staff would prepare better the bedrooms because they confuse couples, big groups and small groups. Alert! There is another Hostel Manaus and the taxis mistakes the trajets!

• 26th Jun 2013
  • Colombia

I made my reservation through hostelworld, but when I got to the scene found the bad location. A boy from the region told me that the place was kind of dangerous, so I decided not to be staying there.

Thanks for a lovely stay - only one night but it was fantastic and a great start to my trip in Amazonas!

• 4th Jun 2013

The staff here were unbelievably rude, in addition to the fact that they barely spoke English (which was particularly frustrating when I was sick and needed help). They also tried to swindle us by putting us in a lesser room than what we paid for, and refused to issue a refund for the difference. On top of that, the showers were freezing cold and our room literally smelled like urine. Would never stay here again. Worst hostel I've ever stayed in (though I usually only stay in 80%+rated ones

Conveniently placed for walking around Manaus. They didn't have the room we'd requested (double with en suite) since they'd let it to someone else even though we arrived there in early afternoon. HI confirmation didn't specify so maybe there had been poor communication (price quoted was for double with en suite). But we accepted a double room with bath across the hallway instead and it was fine. They were very helpful in all regards. Breakfast very good - rooftop so definitely a good view.

Staff IMpersonal

Overall view: very good.

This was a good hostel. The upstairs dining area has a nice view, and sitting on the patio with the trees around you is really pleasant. I liked the big locker drawers under the bunkbeds too. The shower wasn´t really warm, but it seems to be that way everywhere I go in Brazil. The only real bummer about this place was the location... Although it was close to where a lot of buses stop, there weren´t a lot of options for places to get food nearby, or anything really that cool to walk to.

For my second trip to Manaus, I choose whis hostel, as the first time. It is a good place with a really good breakfest (be carfull, go outside the rush hour). The only bad experience I had this time is the cleanliness. Our private room was not cleaned for our check in at 2AM. A lot of rubich on the floor and in the bin, meaning no roomservice between customer.

The location of the hostel is quite allright, but Manaus itself is overall a bit of a dirty town that is growing like a mushroom without much of a masterplan, as in lots of rainforest areas ... also the staff is quite allright, some of them speak english as well

I think that a hostel should accept cards (credit or debit), not only cash.

Ran by a rude, arrogant Aussie, who's staff take it after him. Ranging from useless to rude often both (except one girl to be fair). A very strange atmosphere, in our opinion down to the fact that so many people live there, including families with small children! A nice courtyard out the back, which s great if you want to be kept awake all night by staff who 'work' in the tour office but really sit around staring at you. Could not wait to leave and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

the hostel is alright if you only want to sleep a night before and maybe after a tour. The people there weren't helpful at all and mostly needed a long time for every request such as towels and sheets. additionaly, one didn't understand any english and another one flirted with me really hard. The breakfast though is really good. I had a lot of fresh fruits and sandwiches, which is convinient before starting a longer trip.

Good hostel but could do with sorting out the fans in room 9, very noisy

Good, nice Hostel!

The hostel is quite alright, nothing special. Every bathroom has one toilet and one shower together, which is not really my preferred solution. A big minus is the breakfast: I think it was until 9 am and the buns were pre-made with 1/5th of a slice of bacon and a 1/5th slice of cheese so you can't waste their pressures food.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7