HI San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

For me the problem was that 24 people in the same room was too much. There was someone stink and the room was smelling so bad. Besides that, a woman took my bed after I checked in just because she wanted to sleep next to her husband and she even cared about me, she told me to get another bed which was empty. It's not my problem that this couple decided to get a hostel and didn't want to accept the rules. It was late and dark in the room so I said ok. Also, the beds made noisenoise.

• 13th Oct 2015

The bunks do not have ladders and may cause injury, the rooms where not big enough for the number of beds, a guy got into our too in the middle of the night who was not suppose to be there, otherwise just about ok,except perfect waterfront location

Thank you for raising an important safety concern. In most of our dorms, the end of the bed doubles as a ladder. While this can save space in tighter rooms, I understand your concerns about safe access. I will be discussing options with our maintenance staff to see if perhaps we could find a better solution. I am sorry to hear that mix-up disrupted your sleep! We do our best to avoid confusion about room assignments, but unfortunately it does still happen occasionally . Safe Travels! Mira

We booked into the 20 person dorm, which wasn't that bad to be honest. Of course there were two douchbags that decide it's alright to start shouting a conversation to each other through the bathroom door at 7am but not much can be done about that. Mega close to Alcatraz with a great view of golden gate, good, professional kitchen facility and a supermarket nearby. Busses all over town are also close by!

Place looks very safe, location is great with a nice view of the golden gate.

Staff were class however didn't let us know about the facilities and also the possible discounts in HI hostels... Overcrowded dorms. AMAZING LOCATION! Would go back!! 👌🏽

HI Fishermans Wharf was my second stay in a hostel ever and my first solo trip! Everything was super chill the facilities are good, the atmosphere is amazing and my stay was great! The staff in the cafe serving breakfast were especially friendly! I had rented a car for the duration of my trip so the free and safe parking was why I chose this hostel and it was great but I would go back again!! Beautiful stunning views of the bay make sure to walk out the cafe and down the hill!

It was wonderful and awesome. The hostel staff was very helpful and happy. I would stay here again.

Great hostel near the Marina and Fishermans Wharf. The rooms are nice, i didn't like the common bathrooms.

Great location

Very clean and comfortable hostel. Staff were mostly helpful and polite. Slightly different to other hostels we have stayed in as there were a wide range of ages, from families to 70 year olds. This was no problem, just wasnt the party and social atmosphere we had hoped for. Otherwise a very pleasant stay!

Staff very helpful.

The staff was wonderful and super accommodating.

• 25th Sep 2015

The front desk attendant was very nice. The rooms were ok (standard wood bunks) although being on a time constraint I didn't like having to make the bed and remove sheets. Hard not to disturb others in the rooms when leaving early. The bathrooms were rather unfavorable, I love old buildings but cleanliness can still be kept up. I felt the showers were dirty, the trash was full, and paper towels were out. I've stayed at other HI locations (NY & BOS) and this unfortunately was the worst.

The stay was absolutely wonderful.

Great staff, beautiful surroundings . I will be back.

• 20th Sep 2015

Very good location to Golden Gates Bridge! Staff are efficient!

Very large dorm, so bound to get the odd snorer, but overall very nice. Lovely building and surroundings with great views. Easy walk to fishermans wharf, planned activities to put your name down for and helpful staff. Would stay again.

The staff were great and there is no complaining about the location. But I was having serious Orange is the new Black flashbacks with the spare and cramped bathrooms - and this was seriously the first hostel I've been to with NO changing space for the showers! The room itself was fine - the linens were clean. But the climb to the bunk bed was downright dangerous. And after a certain number of comments, you should buy some fans. It was 50 degrees last night and the room was muggy and sweltering!

Thanks for your honest take on your experience. Our unique location in historic Fort Mason is subject to special protections that can make any major renovations to the building a bit difficult. We do our best to keep our facilities updated and accessible within these limitations, but I'm sorry to hear this wasn't your experience. Our maintenance staff has been made aware of your complaints and is working to make improvements. We take this kind of feedback very seriously! Safe Travels! Mira

Perfectly located hostel which is a huge plus. Very convenient for parking if you're traveling by vehicle. I left my rental parked there and walked and used public transportation. If you're walking back late at night up the steep path returning from Fisherman's Wharf or wherever I would bring a flashlight. It's really dark and for a woman that's not a good idea. Also bring a long power strip so you can plug in your electronics. There is only one plug in the room. Staff is friendly and helpful.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our one of a kind location and felt welcomed by our all-star staff! While lighting within the park does not fall under our jurisdiction, the front desk is happy to provide free flashlights. The Fort Mason area is generally quite safe. As far as electronics, the staff is always happy to charge your devices for you behind the desk if you aren't able to find suitable outlets in your room. I hope these suggestions will make your next visit more comfortable!

It was a great hostel for meeting people and was in a good location. The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

• 8th Sep 2015