Harbin Russia International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.21 Gong Bu Street, Daoli District, Harbin, China

First impression was this hostel is going to be a great place/home to stay in. However, it wasn't exactly like that. I really like the decorations and beautiful chandeliers in the lobby and the twin bed room. But the lights are pretty dim inside, it meant to be for sleeping, NOT for anything else. Wait for 10 min+ to get hot water. No luggage storage room, if living in a dorm, toilets aren't too clean and sometimes no water( Other than that, it was ok. Barren when no holidays guests are here.

The facility is close to the main street, it's very warm and nice inside and there's a good common area for meeting other people. A plus with Yellow, the cat and the dog, Lucy - so cute!

This hostel was average. The bathrooms felt very dirty but the showers were ok. The staff was kind of helpful. They gave good directions to the ice festival but were not so great with the surrounding area. The rooms were small but clean enough, the beds were very hard, and there weren't lockers in the room. Laundry is available for a charge. On my trip I stayed in 12 hostels and this was my least favorite.

I stayed at the hostel during the ice sculpture festival and followed the good describtion from the train station by bus 21 to the hostel. When I arrived my twin room was ready so that I could check in. The english speaking staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was good. Even if the bathroom smells from time to time I would stay there again! Great plus: the location in walking distance to the river and the downtown sights!

I had a great stay! The hostel is really close to the center and there's a big sign outside with the name in Chinese, you can't miss it. It was very warm inside, both in the dorm and in the common room, despite the freezing cold weather of Harbin. The staff were really sweet and the atmosphere was very nice. I will miss the adorable pug and the extremely fat cat :))

The hostel is in a great location in easy walking distance to Harbin's main pedestrian street . The common spaces are well furnished and quite comfortable. The 6-person dorm rooms are clean but rather cramped.

Good atmosphere. Just toilet need to be changed to reduce the foul smell.

• 1st Feb 2015
  • Mauritius

A very, very basic hostel. No breakfast or food provided like most hostels have, not even drinks! Just hot or cold drinking water. Only really offers information for public bus travelling or walking. Taxis can be hard to find and perhaps a taxi/private car hire would be useful for some tourists who want to travel with little stress.

Very Nice Hostel, and the owners are really helpfull. I needed to go to hospital and they helped me to find an international doctor and called a taxi for me. I recomend Russia Hostel ! We are french and speak in english with them, no problem for communication.

Friendly staff and good atmosphere. Unfortunately the beds in our private room were very uncomfortable, with springs poking into our backs, and the water pressure in the shower was extremely low.

They did not give us a warm welcome, but were nice to us. Rooms were very good, warm, big and comfortable. The staff seemed to not speak a good english but helped us as they could. The location is fine, close to both park and railway.

Very nice english speaking Staff. Gave us a lot of tips, how to visit the ice world on the best way. I would sleep again here.

• 24th Jan 2015

Does the job for an overnight stop if you're going up for the Harbin Ice Festival, but its not that warm and friendly if you don't speak good Chinese. Its close to the city centre but apart from that has nothing that makes it stand out.

There is NOT a free shuttle like they advertise. The staff didn't even know how to tell us to get to the festival! They told us the wrong entry fees for parks and were generally confused about simple questions I would expect a hostel worker to know (such as where we could find food - they had no idea).

The hostel was nice and relaxing. We stayed one night in a private to check out the ice festival. This is a quiet hostel not really the party type. The staff was friendly and helpful and one speaks good English!

I stayed here for the International Ice Festival and had a wonderful experience. The facilities and rooms were all clean and well-maintained, the location was right next to the main tourist streets, but most importantly, the staff was incredible friendly and helpful regarding any aspect of travel. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to Harbin!

• 20th Jan 2015

The best parts of the hostel were the friendly staff, and the heated floor. Our warm room was a godsend after being out in -20 degrees all day!! Bed was quite comfortable, but our ' ensuite' was only separated from the rest of the room by a plastic screen and so the whole room smelt very damp. Toilet got dirty easily and did not provide toilet brush. Staff seem lively and spoke English but common room was gloomy. Hard to find as you must walk from bus stop and no lights at night, often lost way

• 20th Jan 2015

The staff was very unfriendly. One girl was just plane rude whithout any reason. The kitchen was closed for winter, even though winter is high season for Harbin, there was a coffee machine but no coffee, no breakfast, no way of making breakfast, hot water but no tea, ... you get the picture. Our room was a sauna and no way to adjust the temperature, the windows were taped shut. The smoke alarm's batteries were dead and it kept beeping for my whole stay, every minute a beep even during the night.

We don’t choose the self-catering kitchen and breakfast service on the HostolWorld and it is easy to get breakfast just walking two minute around our hostel. Coffee is served but not free, if you take the coffee bane with you can use the machine free. The heating system is central-heating, control by government, the office think the temperature is reasonable for the cold winter in Harbin. After we get the review we have already check the smoke alarm, and make sure it works on the rails .

The hostel was clean and in a good location. Although staff were by no means rude they were not overtly friendly and when I asked if they would order us a taxi they did not help us.

Excellent location and excellent staff. Only trouble was the lack of storage facilities. It is a great place though, excellent location and it honestly feels like you're in a European hotel. Excellent hostel.