Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

Good clean hostel helpful staff and cheap beer:)

• 26th Jul 2015

The location was perfect, easy to find and I walked from the train station (Friedrichstraße) which took about 10 minutes.. Check-in was pretty confusing, the staff didn't tell me much about anything only that I had to pay for a key deposit. I stayed in the 42 bed dorm which i thought was overpriced and was very noisy all night and day which wasn't really a problem for me but I couldn't really relax in quiet anywhere after a night of clubbing!

Truly, Heart of Gold is well-run by extremely friendly staff, kept spotless, and boasts grand facilities, such as a full bar, lounge, and courtyard. While not my style, as the typical clientele appear to be mostly interested in enjoying the clubs all night and returning near or past sunrise, I found it a great base to explore Berlin for the four days I was there. Also, the metro and train stops are both less than 500 meters away. I recommend it for almost anyone, even the "mega dorm!"

Great hostel for a solo traveller. Nice beds, good showers, and affordable breakfast. Really helpful and welcoming staff, and there are lots of them. Great hostel bar, with really cheap jägermeister shots. It gets really hot in the bar tho. Had a lot of fun in there, would really recomend it. Just the most amazing atmosphere ever, really easy to meet people!

Staff´s attitude was not always the best and they need to work on how they work, the staff did not have the same rutines in some areas.

We were in an 8 bed mixed dorm and were happy to find no bunk beds in our room. Overall we enjoyed the stay and all of the staff. However, there is an indoor smoking room on the main floor. The door to this room is frequently left open which resulted in reception and the bar area smelling very smokey-- as non-smokers this was disgusting especially since those rooms were very warm. Also the storage lockers were located in the smoking room and the lockers in our dorm were too small to fit our bags

Although there are no individual electric sockets and lights for each bed, the bed sheets are a bit old and the rooms tend to be noisy during the day, the relation -quality-price is good. Perfect for one or two nights.

Great atmosphere however very loud at night so if you are there to sleep forget it, this is a party place. Really easy to get to from the train station and walking distance from the tiergarten and other great places. Had to wait for a shower in the morning as was only one in our area plus people locked the bathroom so you couldn't even use the toilet during peak shower time. Not the cleanest.

Really cool vibe and staff at the hostel. It was super easy to meet people if you are travelling alone. Great value for the price!

• 15th Jul 2015

Need to clean the bathrooms more often

The beds where old and not comfortable. It felt like chaos in the reception. One member of staff promised something and another did the something else.

Despite one member of our party breaking his nose on the glass door in the reception on the first night the hostel was fantastic, would recommend to all.

• 13th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The hostel has too few toilets and showers in comparison to the number of beds. Some of the time the toilets also smelled sewer. The beds have passed their end of life time and are uncomfortable.

Quite a good hostel. Average in what I've stayed in. Great location, good that it has a bar. Not a great place for meeting other people though. Rooms had lots of space and the facilities were kept very clean.mid probably stay here again.

Excellent hostel. Good location, friendly staff, good atmosphere. No complaints, one of the best hostels I've stayed in,would definitely stay here again.

i stayed here 2 years ago, so returned again! the price has gone up a bit since i last stayed, but its still good. but the atmosphere is what really makes this place, really great hostel!

Loved my stay there but the strange 80s music that was played downstairs was rather odd and actually quite snide. From an anonymous beer shy reviewer.

• 8th Jul 2015

The staff were fantastic, they were so genuine and friendly, after 6 nights we felt like we were leaving a second home. The bar is also great for pre drinking and meeting new people, the atmosphere is always welcoming. The room we stayed in was amazing, couldn't have asked for a better one (411) and the pillows were incredibly comfortable. All in all 10/10 would definitely recommend and come again. Best hostel we stayed in out of all the different countries

• 7th Jul 2015

This hostel was exactly what I was hoping for! The rooms were nice and spacious, there were private shower and bathroom facilities, and it had a great bar area to meet people in! The location is perfect. Less than ten minute walk from two different train stations (which we actually used a lot because Berlin is HUGE). The only negative I can think of was that the bunk beds were really squeaky. Every time anyone moved an inch they would make loud noises.

• 6th Jul 2015

There was nothing wrong with this hostel, except it wasn't really near the night life and it had no air conditioning--and there was a ridiculous heat wave while we were there! The hostel itself was nice and the bar downstairs made it easy to make friends.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7