Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

When my group arrived, we were greeted cordially and given a lot of info. Brochures and newspapers are all over. Rooms were clean and the bathrooms were perfect (GREAT SHOWER!). Breakfast was fine and cheaper than usual, 4euro for us. About a 20 minute walk from the Haufbahnhof but about a 5 minute walk from Museum Island, so that was pretty incredible! Not a party hostel, we actually bought drinks at Generator, but this place feels a lot more like a safe "home base", so we were happy here.

Very good hostel. Good place to stay.

Peter is very patient and welcoming. I was first here one year ago, and remember Peter at the front desk. The breakfast is good value. The wifi in the rooms however is not so great. I am likely to come back to this hostel if i visit Berlin again

Very cheap and really really good. I stayed here for 2 weeks and it was awesome.

This hostel is a good find for the price. I appreciate how secure the rooms are from the common area and bar and how attentive the staff is to ensuring security. The rooms were a great size, enough room without being in others ways. I disliked the wooden hallway floors (echoed all throughout the night), the sagging bed frames, and most of all the ATMOSPHERE. It's Berlin and the common room was full of unsociable people. The staff cranked up the music as if that would make people talk.....

• 2nd Jan 2015

Had they included breakfast, this would have been perfect! It had a cool vibe, I liked the free tea all day, beds were comfortable enough, and wifi worked really well! (Even in the rooms!) It's about a 15 minute walk to the Brandenburg gate. I think the oranianburgerstrasse metro stop is closer...2 min just on the other side of the block (right behind the meininger) hotel)

The most helpful staffs from all the hostels and hotels that I have been too. They will try to help you with everything you need. The location is not bad. I am just not a fan of the loud bar downstairs.

Very good hostel. We had some complications with the maids taking our chargers but it was handled professionally and was resolved. Enjoyed the bar, great atmosphere.

The hostel felt like a 5-star hotel. The rooms and facilities were clean, there was a bar to hang out and meet new people, a computer area, and great receptionists. Though, I have to criticize the wifi not working when there are a lot of people in the lobby. I couldn't even load Google to search anything! But that doesn't deter the fact that Heart of Gold is an amazing hostel and Berlin is an amazing city I would definitely come back if I am in Berlin again.

Really cool place that makes you feel at home during your visit to Berlin! I totally recommend this place to anyone. I've to Berlin twice this year and have chosen Heart of Gold both times. BEST HOSTEL!

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Spain

I was staying for 2 nights in this hostel. The location was perfect. The staffs were friendly. I will stay in this hostel again if i come back to Berlin for sure.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Indonesia

great atmosphere and helpful staff ... location is pretty good, but can be cleaner

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Belgium

Great value for money, right in the heart of town and walking distance from the Hbf. staff wer frendly and helpful

This has been the bets hostel I've ever been. It's so nice, clean, good security, excelent atention of the staff. I highly recommend it

The place is nice, and is cheap. Wifi is only accessible at the reception but the signal is strong enough to maintain a decent FaceTime. The staff was nice, just that once you arrive they tell you that you need to pay 5% tax for this, 3 euro deposit for blankets, 10 euro deposit for locker and so on. Even when you know is just a deposit the way they tell you makes you feel like you will run out of money. The breakfast is poor, adding some orange juice would make it better.

Great location, 5 min from FridriechStrase station, Very clean comparing to other hostels, Fantastic breakfast for 4 euros, bar inside, huge, spacious common room. Excellent value for money

This is a really nice hostel. The beds were comfy, showers were hot and the staff were very friendly and helpful! Excellent value for money, would definitely recommend it.

I spent one night in the hostel. Everything went fine, the stuff is available for any help. The location is good, near to the important monuments of the city.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Tunisia

Overall excellent although wifi could be better

• 21st Nov 2014

This is an ideal hostel for young people. Large common area to chill, play pool, have some drinks (very cheap, including alcohol),... The bunk beds are very old and noisy, you could even hear noise from the room next to you. IMPORTANT: the lockers they borrow you are totally UNSAFE. One of the keys they gave us could open 3 lockers so far... And the guy in the reception asked us "not to tell anybody".

• 21st Nov 2014