Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

If you plan on using wifi while here, then good luck as it really doesn't work well at all. As a solo traveler I found it hard to meet people in the lounge. This is probably because the bar/lounge area is the only place you can maybe get wifi so everyone is looking at their devices. Other than that this was a fine hostel and I enjoyed my stay. I liked how close it was to the main rail station. Word to the wise though, beware of the German rail strikes hat have been going on.

Great place and nice atmosphere. They even have a perfect movie projector and good sound system for that. I had a short but happy stay there. Well recommended.

wifi works badly

• 11th Oct 2014
  • China

It was perfect Hostel with all the facilities you need. Centrally located, friendly staff, good security. Breakfast could be a little better with more options. I would recommend it!

• 11th Oct 2014
  • ramgopal
  • India

For us the location was the prime factor in choosing Heart of Gold. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return another time.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Nice atmosphere, close to the subway, I enjoyed my stay, no Wifi in the room only in the lounge but it s not a big problem

1)Wifi very bad, very saturated, the connection is lost every minute, I almost could not use it. 2) the most important: the day I arrived at hostel, I told to the counter person that maybe only going to stay 1 night instead of 2 as the original booking. This person told me that when I was sure, to tell him. Well, very early the next morning when I confirm that I have to leave the hostel, to ask for money for unused paid night to give me, the same person told me it was not possible (wtf?!!!)

Wonderful hostel. Great prices, clean rooms, very quiet at night and the staff were really friendly. The only problem is that the wifi doesn't reach the room and sometimes doesn't work even in the lobby. The 4-bed dorm I stayed at didn't have a locker so it can be a little inconvenient if staying with strangers.

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Singapore

Perfect location and helpful staff. The dorms are quite large, but I got a decent night's sleep so can't complain. The internet didn't work very well and it wasn't available at all in the dorms, only in the reception area... Other than that I'm very satisfied and can recommend this to other travelers!

It was very nice to be able to have some drinks in the hostel bar until 4am if not later

decent clean facilities and good location right near the s and u bahn. Amazing value for money we didn't quite believe how cheap it is compared to other hostels and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Only downside is may as well not have wifi it is so slow but for the price not a big deal and they have computers you can pay to use if you urgently need internet.

Very good location for anything in Berlin! Had a great stay here! WiFi is only thing I had issues with.. Pretty bad! But it didn't matter because the atmosphere was awesome!

Great hostel, easy to find, close to a few train stations, and easy walk to many of the main sights in berlin. Security is good with card key to bedroom areas and to room, big locker in the room. Good breakfast and free tea/coffee all the time. Staff are really friendly and helpful

Everything really cool

we stayed in a 50 mixed dorm for the first time and were so afraid that it would be a horribly cramped room full of beds. However, the beds were distributed over 3 big rooms and the cleanliness level was excellent and I never had a problem with waiting for the shower. All in all the perfect hostel to stay in Berlin, since it is located directly in the city and easy to access by public transport!

• 18th Sep 2014

Great atmosphere! I met tons of people and really enjoyed both nights I stayed here. I stayed at a popular chain hostel the first two days in Berlin but definitely prefer Heart of Gold. Would absolutely come back. Friendly staff, good common areas, and very fair prices at the bar. WiFi only works downstairs and can be a bit spotty but that seems to be common across most hostels.

Cool place. Terrible internet but computers available. It has nice things about it but it's probably better for groups. Good beats in the bar. Big rooms but could use more bathrooms. Rooftop balcony off limits bit of a tease really. But pretty cheap most of the time

Despite the fact that the Wifi is really bad and there's none in the rooms, this is the BEST hostel I've EVER stayed in. There's a HUGE sitting area downstairs with a pool table and beer for sale where you can hang out, but the rooms and halls are super quiet (at least our two rooms were). Elevators to the rooms are super helpful, staff are super accommodating, location is near to some cool stuff as well as Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn station. And everything is super clean!

This was one of the best hostels we stayed at during our 3 week trip around Europe. The facilities are really great and clean and the rooms are very nice. The bar downstairs and other common areas were very social settings. One thing to note, the rooms are above the main courtyard so it can get a bit loud at night, but other than that, great stay!

It had a good vibe and was generally a good place to stay. They had most things you needed and had all the maps, suggestions to go, etc. All over the lounge. Main issues were that there was only wifi in the lounge and it lagged. If there were several people here it was nearly impossible to connect. There is a deposit to use the kitchen.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5