Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

The hostel was in a convenient location, only a 15 minute walk to major tourist areas. The hostel was clean with many bathrooms and the mega dorm was actually not bad! The breakfast was quite nice for a good price, with coffee always free. I enjoyed my stay, thank you!

Verry nice hostel !! Clean, cosy, top location... Excellent!!

I wanted to like this place. One issue I had was that every time I went to use the kitchen my key would not work. It's up on the top floor so I hadto go all the way back down to get it fixed. Biggest issue was getting locked out of my room 10 minutes before check out while in the shower. When I went down to get my key fixed (in a towel) I was told it was almost time for check out anyway. When I tried to continue the conversation I was shushed and then ignored. This ruined my experience.

We had a really great stay here! It is clean and the rooms are quite large. It is also super affordable, and you get really really good value for money. The common area/reception is really relaxed, and many people were hanging out. The music choice is hilarious as well. The location is excellent - right in Central Berlin and located close to many of the tourist attractions.

• 15th Nov 2015

People say that the hostel is very clean. I say that when the hostel doesn't even allow you to use its services, how will it even get dirty, right? The kitchen closes at 10 pm and requires a keycard, requires a 10 euro deposit, as if this is the kitchen in the Amundsen South pole Station. Staff dont tell you wifi password on phone, you've got to come back passing 3 doors with jammed locks and see it on the desk. Then you realize that wifi DOES NOT work in the rooms.

Would recommend the mega dorm. Excellent value, and lockers will easily fit a large backpack. There are more lockers/safes in reception. Never waited for the bathroom, despite the dorm being packed. Showers reminded me of boarding school (curtains), but were always clean. Limited powerpoints, but you can easily charge in the bar/breakfast area. Good all you can eat free breakfast (4 euro on weekends). Ham, cheese, fruit, cereal, jam, Nutella. Free filter coffee all the time.

It is a brilliant hostel to live in. Brilliant atmosphere, Brilliant location, Amazing staff and extremely value for money.

Hostel has a great vibe and and the rooms and bathrooms were always clean. The free breakfast in November was great too.

The hostel was okay but I was gutted that the breakfast wasn't free at the weekend and the lockers in the baggage area were ridiculously small! The staff were really nice though. It would have been good if there was more common area space. Events within the hostel would have made the stay a lot more fun too. Berlin is so huge that as a first time visitor it's really important to have help in finding clubs and bars. All in all a 7/10

Pretty great place. Nice bar. Pretty dead during the day but to be expected in a city as awesome as Berlin. The 42 bunk dorm is unique, but perfectly organised and split so it doesn't feel like you're sleeping on top of others at all. There's even lockers in one of the common rooms so you don't have to leave your bag in a luggage room. I'd recommend this place for sure.

Good vibe and easy to meet people. Room was clean and quiet. Only downside was that it isn't all that close to good popular bars. I'd stay there again.

Wonderful place, near a tube station and very pleasant! 15min walking from everyplace you need to go. I definitely recommend. Two things could be better: noiseless beds and the shower goes off every 10 sec and you need to restart it, a bit annoying! But it really worth the price!!

Really big hostel feels like a college dorm or hotel. Wifi did not work in the room which was annoying. Showers were clean and hot. The bar was a good place to hang out and try to meet people because otherwise it is impossible the hostel is very big

Nothing to complain about except bad wifi in the room. Awesome hostel.

The location is really good in the centre, good connections to go all around. The rooms are csuper clean and so are the bathroom facilities. There is also kitchen, but only open from 9-22:00. There is only three toilets and two shower for the whole floor which is a bit too little for all the rooms. You pay deposits for basically everything, however you get it back when you check out. Wouldn't recomend for solo travellers, more for pairs or groups of friends.

Really nice place! Very clean, well located and with a really good price. The breakfast was amazing as well. The guy responsable for our check in (a blond medium age man) was really helpful, specially when we asked him to put us in the same room as some friends that were coming in the day after. He made us feel welcome the first minute until our last day in the hostel. It was a really good experience. When I go back to Berlin, I'll stay at Heart of Gold again.

• 3rd Nov 2015

Excellent location, staff and value for money - free breakfast in November!

We were very happy to have multiple bathrooms on our floor. There were only two outlets in the room and only one of them worked, and for 8 people that could get very hectic.

Awesome idea, very clean, the common room was extremely nice and the staff was always very friendly and helpful

• 30th Oct 2015

Great price, top class facilities, helpful and friendly staff, perfect location for sightseeing, nice atmosphere in the bar area, exceptionally good music (The Doors, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin etc. and some good chill out vibes in-between). Next time I'm in Berlin, I'll happily stop at this great place again. Free breakfast and free all-day coffee was a nice bonus too! Thanks for a lovely four-day stay guys :-)