Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

Great stay and pretty cool staff. The males staff members were better to deal with then the females. The ladies not so informative and a little bit acopic. Overall a very comfortable stay and great environment to meet people. Large bathroom toilet and showers. Very impressive amount of space.

Staff was kind of unfriendly due to early check in ..

Great place, great staff and wonderful people to meet. Made my visit to Berlin staying here!

I thought that the location of the hostel was great because there was nothing too far away, and anything that was, it was simple to hop on the train and get to where I needed to go. I had a full day everyday, so I did not really use any resources at the hostel, but it was a nice place.

Great location and value for money. Staff are friendly and the facilities are really clean. Not always the most social place, but you can definitely make your own fun while there. My only complaint was how few lockers were in the mega dorm compared to beds, but they do have spare ones in other locations for use!

Great location, good value for the money. Mega 50 person dorm isn't that bad, don't be scared off, it's a good place to meet people.

• 22nd Jul 2014

Excellent location. REALLY good value for money. One of my favourite hostels.

The location is really good, easy to connect to s-bahn, u-bahn, trams and busses. I think the bar and the beargarden deserves a plus. But I think not allowing to bring your own alcohol is pretty cheap. In the room I was staying in (8 bed dorm) there was black mold in the corner and a big spot in the ceiling from probably moisture. The bathroom was pretty okay though.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

The good: location cannot be better-next to U&S Bahn stations, easy to transfer from anything that stops at Friedrichstrausse. Furthermore the atmosphere is very young and back-packer friendly. The bad: the service / professionalism can fluctuate a lot depending on the day, which I guess kind of goes with the backpacker vibe. Breakfast cutlery might be clean one day and have chunks of food the next. Bathrooms is also average/poor. And no wifi in rooms and awful wifi in the lobby.

Such a cool hostel, really good atmosphere. You feel so safe.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

It is a great place to meet people, there is a bar so you can drink in there, is not expensive but either way you can get drinks in the local store. The location is great, you can walk anywhere plus th street is really quite. Is still think is expensive.

I stayed here a week and I should have known better. 50-bed-megadorm MEANS 50 bed megadorm. People come in and out all night, flipping on the lights, talking, packing up early to leave. It felt like a train station. There were very few plugs for the amount of people there, and they were out of sight, so to charge an appliance meant leaving it unattended. The common area was small, not enough seats and also very few plugs. The breakfast was pricey. The staff was very nice, and the bar was nice.

Another awesome Berlin hostel. Clean, very centrally located and great crowd.

• 12th Jul 2014

Greatttt location. Crappy wifi and really bad bathroom cleanliness but the rooms were good and the lounge was awesome

A very good hostel!!

My favourite hostel in my favourite city. Staff great, atmosphere unlike any other hostel, you can't not make friends here. Stay in the 50 bed dorm!!

Very central location near to public transport and within walking distance of many of Berlin's landmarks including Checkpoint Charlie and Brandenburg Gate. Friendly and helpful staff with great English. I also arrived at around midnight because my flight was delayed and that was no problem. Very relaxed stay all in all with no curfew. Only slightlynegative notes I would have is that the breakfast finishes too early and it's very bright in the 50 bed dorm when you're trying to sleep during theday

• 7th Jul 2014

Cool hostel. Decent bar area. 50 man dorm was great, different rooms and plenty of showers and bathrooms etc.

Can't say enough good things about this place! Amazing location literally in the center of Berlin right next to a train station that can send you in any direction you like. Excellent atmosphere, great reception/bar area with a pool table (cheap beer). Friendliest staff of any hostel I stayed at, clean rooms/beds, clean bathrooms, great showers. Absolutely loved my time at the Heart of Gold and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Well, firstly, my room smelled really musty the entire time I was there. Secondly, I could see built up scum in the girls' shower, so cleaning should become a higher priority. Inclusively, there were far more men's restrooms than there were women's restrooms, almost a 2:1 ratio, actually- at least on the 2nd floor. Thirdly, it is impossibly rowdy, especially in the evening, which I know is not the establishment's fault, but they could try to regulate better. Location is good, staff is nice.