Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

Cool hostel. Decent bar area. 50 man dorm was great, different rooms and plenty of showers and bathrooms etc.

Can't say enough good things about this place! Amazing location literally in the center of Berlin right next to a train station that can send you in any direction you like. Excellent atmosphere, great reception/bar area with a pool table (cheap beer). Friendliest staff of any hostel I stayed at, clean rooms/beds, clean bathrooms, great showers. Absolutely loved my time at the Heart of Gold and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Well, firstly, my room smelled really musty the entire time I was there. Secondly, I could see built up scum in the girls' shower, so cleaning should become a higher priority. Inclusively, there were far more men's restrooms than there were women's restrooms, almost a 2:1 ratio, actually- at least on the 2nd floor. Thirdly, it is impossibly rowdy, especially in the evening, which I know is not the establishment's fault, but they could try to regulate better. Location is good, staff is nice.

The location is really good! It's licated in the center of the city. Also, there's a big screen in the bar so everyone is able to enjoy watching soccer matches :)

Some cons first, the wifi was terrible, and the toilets could have been way more cleaner - the shower and toilet were a combined room (1 of each seperately in a room), which made it difficult if you needed to use the bathroom and someome was showering. Pros, Location was right in the heart of mitte and easy to get to all the sights, although the good bar area was about a 15min drive near east side gallery berlin wall. Could hire bikes from hostel. Security was very good.

Wifi issue...pretty much didnt work..

• 30th Jun 2014

Wifi is terrible!!!! It's does not work most of the time and it's only available in the lobby. They shouldn't claim they have wifi if it does not work.

Really like the hostel, good atmosphere, friendly staff, brilliant facilities. We waited for 15 minutes to check in, though, because there are not enough staff working at once. They're either at reception or serving at the bar so you're in for a long wait. Everything else was brilliant. I particularly liked when the cleaners played The Doors whilst cleaning the rooms. That was probably the highlight :) And when someone played the Bob Dylan collection at breakfast. Beautiful.

Frustrating wifi

I stayed in the mega-dorm and there was not enough lockers for sure and the lockers were really lousy (hard to open, locks could break easily). The shower was clean, tap was broken but fixed within a day. Location was great, as close by to Friedrichstrasse and easy to get to main sites by undergrand, tram and s-bahn. Staff was friendly. Coffee/Tea available for free all day long which is a plus.

The wifi was so terrible here, you had to be downstairs to use it and even then it barely worked which was incredibly frustrating. Overall the hostel was clean, staff were friendly and helpful and there were tonnes of chill out areas to hang and meet some cool people. Heaps of plugs for charging in the rooms and plenty of bathrooms so you never really have to wait. My swipey card was a bit crap and kept locking me out but the staff were quick to fix it, three times!!

Very big, clean modern hostel in a great location. Really enjoyed my time here. In a 8 bed mixed. Plenty of space with SINGLE beds! Always nice. Didnt try the breakfast but it looked ok. Free tea and coffee. Decently priced bar, nice social atmosphere and pool table. Bike hire at hostel was useful too.

The rooms and bathrooms were fantastic. The location was great, next to the train station and the museums.

• 20th Jun 2014

The reception area (which was also the bar, breakfast and TV area) was excellent! It had a really great, friendly, cosy and warm atmosphere. I had a 4 bed mixed dorm which was alright. Could be improved with the addition of lockers for security, as well as a private night-light for each bed so that at night we don't have to turn on the main switch and disturb everyone else whenever we need to do anything. Would also be good if the toilets were separate from the showers!

really friendly staff, the irish lady on reception was really helpful although I can't remember her name unfortunately. Clean modern rooms. I only wish we could have stayed longer as the atmosphere is great, could've met some like minded travellers I'm sure. Also the location of the hostel is ideal as it's a 5min walk to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn.

Good hostel in the heart of Berlin and really close to the main railway station.Staff are nice and always willing to help out. Great bar with cheap drinks. Only negative thing is that the beds aren't really comfortable.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hostel. The staff is it's strongest asset; extremely helpful and nice and up for a bit of banter! Good location. Highly recommend.

I actually really liked this hostel. I booked it expecting something else, this place was a hidden gemstone of hostels in Berlin. Hands down if I ever decided to come back to Berlin, this is the spot to be at. And the Bartenders are pretty badass so it was a story for the books.

wi-fi is terrible, coffee is poor. loved the pool table and the breakfast was really handy!

• 14th Jun 2014

The reception staff and atmosphere at the bar was unreal, though you were still able to get a good night sleep provided you didn't want to take an afternoon nap while the cleaning staff was making their rounds since they insisted on making as much noise as possible. It's a great place to meet new people but you won't be able to stay in touch with old people as the internet was patchy at best. That all being said, I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend it!