Heart of Gold Hostel Reviews

Johannisstr. 11, Berlin, Germany

great atmosphere and helpful staff ... location is pretty good, but can be cleaner

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Belgium

Great value for money, right in the heart of town and walking distance from the Hbf. staff wer frendly and helpful

This has been the bets hostel I've ever been. It's so nice, clean, good security, excelent atention of the staff. I highly recommend it

The place is nice, and is cheap. Wifi is only accessible at the reception but the signal is strong enough to maintain a decent FaceTime. The staff was nice, just that once you arrive they tell you that you need to pay 5% tax for this, 3 euro deposit for blankets, 10 euro deposit for locker and so on. Even when you know is just a deposit the way they tell you makes you feel like you will run out of money. The breakfast is poor, adding some orange juice would make it better.

Great location, 5 min from FridriechStrase station, Very clean comparing to other hostels, Fantastic breakfast for 4 euros, bar inside, huge, spacious common room. Excellent value for money

This is a really nice hostel. The beds were comfy, showers were hot and the staff were very friendly and helpful! Excellent value for money, would definitely recommend it.

I spent one night in the hostel. Everything went fine, the stuff is available for any help. The location is good, near to the important monuments of the city.

Overall excellent although wifi could be better

• 21st Nov 2014

This is an ideal hostel for young people. Large common area to chill, play pool, have some drinks (very cheap, including alcohol),... The bunk beds are very old and noisy, you could even hear noise from the room next to you. IMPORTANT: the lockers they borrow you are totally UNSAFE. One of the keys they gave us could open 3 lockers so far... And the guy in the reception asked us "not to tell anybody".

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Spain

It was a nice stay! I really enoyed the time there and it was very good that they provide you towels for free. I would visit that hostel again for sure!

I recommend for short stays in Berlin. Really great location and helpful international stuff.

perhaps the best hostel i´ve ever been!

Awesome staff. Could be cleaner, decent place to stay. But wifi is really bad. Perhaps one of the worse.

Loved that locks and hairdryers can be rented for free. Room was clean, and I got a free upgrade to an ensuite 8-bed dorm, which was definitely a plus. Coffee and tea were provided free all day! My only grouse was the really bad wifi, which caused me to waste quite a lot of time waiting for the pages to load. Tip: Use the alternative wifi network close to the toilet.

i loved the place and the price was perfect, the staff was very nice and the fact that is very close to so many things in the city.

The wifi was slow and only available in limited places. Security is good, but of you're staying in the mega dorm you definitely need to lock up your stuff (they provide free lockers and locks)

• 7th Nov 2014

Our room was right next to the entrance to the floor so every time the outside door opened it would open ours as well even if it was locked. Have to recharge the kitchen card each morning, which the staff forgot to tell us, when I went to recharge it I had to wait 10 minutes while one person was checked in despite there being other staff around. Most staff were incompetent but there was a few who went above and beyond. The wifi is super unreliable and cuts out/doesn't reach the rooms

Depends what meant by "facilities" - too broad a term! Rooms I've used the times I've stayed here have been good. Annoyed staff took stuff away that was NOT in rubbish bin - my plastic bottles I refill daily - conservation. Breakfast good value and great that available till midday. But ridiculous that only one toaster for so many people! Feels like cheapskate management. Helpful reception & bar staff do their best to make up for poor attitude of owner. (See below)

We got a twin room with a shower and were surprised to find the shower in the middle of the room without any privacy. It worked out because we had a communal shower across the hall which we used, but I wouldn't recommend getting a twin room with a shower.

The neighborhood is not very interesting at night, but it is super easy to get anywhere with both S and U-bahn five minutes away. Close by museuminsel which has some amazing museums worth a look! Clean bathrooms and bedrooms. Not much character, but good value for your money :)