Himeji Guest House Engakudou Reviews

8-2yanagi machi, Himeji, Japan

A bit far from the JR Station, but it's right next to the Castle ! The neighborhood is very calm. I would recommend this place only when the temperature outside is above 15°C. Since it's a typical ancient Japanese house, there is absolutely no isolation, and heating is done with kerosene stoves (these are pretty common in Japanese houses, nothing exceptional). The toilets are not very well positioned and there is no bathroom sink (I used the kitchen sink). Very authentic house !

This hostel definitely has an interesting athmosphere. It is elaborately decorated and located in a Japanese-style house in a small alley. Unfortunately, it can get really cold in there. (One of the fan heaters smelled like gasoline, so we didn't dare to use it...) Also, after finding some hairs on our pillows, we are quite sure that they don't wash the linen after every single guest. Unfortunately, our sink was located outdoors. But generally, our stay was a nice experience!

We really enjoyed staying at engakudou. The facilities are basic but it's a lovely little house with a nice atmosphere. The staff was super nice too :)

We had a wonderful stopover night at the Himeji Guest House Engakudou! This tiny gem was exactly what we were looking for: a quiet night in with a few new and interesting people to meet

Really friendly owners, they will make you feel welcome and at home. Rooms and facilities are pretty basic but we enjoyed our stay very much!

Nice peaceful hostel few minutes walk from the castle. Nothing to complain.

Pros: The manager is very friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic Cons: No internet in the dorms that aren't in the house. The owner says it's 'mobile internet' but in truth it won't load webpages on a phone, though just about handles instant messaging apps (but no photos) so you need to go into the main house to use it. There was no mirror in the dorms that aren't in the house so I couldn't shave. The door to the dorms that aren't in the house are often left unlocked.

This is a true guest house. The house is very traditional Japanese style and I loved it. Hiroshi gave me a tip to walk up a hill 2 min from the house and I got the best view of Himeiji Castle I was surprised there was no line or any one there at all, a true secret garden and great view of the whole city or place to watch the sunset.

Very hard to find but near the castle if that is your thing there are no direction signs and the only sign that has the name is very small and on a wood plank this was quite annoying I would suggest they make arrow signs and put them down the street to help people find the place.. the only guy running it was nice but not not a very old carpenter and the 2nd house is very crappie compared to the main house the 2nd house does not have real wifi