Hostelling International - Chamounix Mansion Reviews

3250 Chamounix Drive, West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, USA

it was a wonderful memory there! Staffs are warm and kind. I like the cats outdoor, the party that i come across, the big room, the fellows i met there. However, it takes 1h to city center by bus. Guess that is the only problem.

Chamounix Mansion is so far off the beaten path, that even intrepid adventurers, might want to rethink a stay at this hostel. I arrived at 8:00 pm, which meant that I had to take a bus from downtown Philly, and then walk the supposed "1 mile" from the bus stop to the hostel. To walk through a heavily wooded, dimly lighted park, late at night is not fun, and I would not recommend any female guest attempting this trek either. Plus the front desk guy was rude and surly. Plus no heat in the dorm.

• 12th Oct 2014

hard to reach by food. Extrem hard with heavy luggage.

I thought this was a great hostel and one of the more interesting places that I've ever stayed in, especially in a large city like Philly. Great value, clean, and quiet.

• 3rd Oct 2014

I thought the hostel was like an oasis in the middle of busy Philly. Everyone was very nice and helpful and I thought the building itself was very charming- old world. Nicely compares to other hostels I've stayed at I Europe- better than most there.

• 28th Sep 2014

If you have a car, the hostel is great for you...if you are walking, it's a long walk to the hostel from the bus ,but it's only through a park. The staff at the hostel is really nice. The rooms are just plain dorm rooms. The house is very old so you can hear anytime anyone is walking around. Our room only had one outlet for plugging stuff in. The beds were horrible. Very difficult to sleep in. They are the only reason I would consider not coming back.

it is a great place! Nice and friendly people, very clean, offers a lot. It is just outside of Philadelphia.. pretty far

It has a summer camp vibe to it! The hostel, himself is in a well preserved historical home. It's nice for someone who's travelling on a budget and does'nt mind walking 20 min to get to the bus stop.

Well said! I hope that meant your stay was enjoyable. Abbe

So far away. Just go there by car. From the city center it's a long bus ride 20mim walk in the middle of nowhere...

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAR I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. IT IS PRETTY FAR FROM THE BUS STOP. THE PLACE IS OK, BUT THE LOCATION IS NOT CONVENIENT.

There was no free breakfast.

Dear guest, There is a free breakfast, every single day, but I will change the listing on Hostelworld to read "free DIY breakfast", as you DO have to make the pancakes yourself. I hope this was explained to you when you checked in. If not, I am indeed very sorry. Also, if you came down to the kitchen, ten minutes before we close at 11 am, the breakfast items would have been removed. We want there to be enough time for you to make pancakes, eat, and clean up, so it may have been put away.

The location for this hostel really lets it down. It is a 40 minutes bus journey and then a mile walk after that to get to it from downtown. There are also rules that mean you have to be back by 2am and you aren't allowed in the hostel between 11 and 4 which is annoying when you need to catch up on a bit of sleep. Positives are that there is a good-sized kitchen, plenty of showers and everything is clean

hello, I am sorry Chamounix Mansion was a disappointment for you. All of the things you listed as disadvantages to your stay are on the Hostelworld website, on our website, and in the confirmation email that we sent you, so I can't imagine that our hours, our lock out policy, or the distance from here to the bus stop were a surprise. Please let me know how we can make any of this more clear, in advance of a guest's stay, and we will certainly consider it. Thank you! Abbe

My daughter and I stayed at Chamounix for 3 days. From the pictures and reviews, it seemed too good to be true but I booked it anyway. I could not have been more pleased or surprised at how enjoyable the whole experience was. It reached and exceeded my expectations. We will definitely be staying again!

• 27th Jul 2014

The hostel is great, the staff are very welcoming and very helpful. But, once you are planning to book a night in the hostel you'll have to think about your goals: it's very far away from the city center (about 30-40 minutes bus trip) and it´s very hard to get there at night (you'll might have to take a taxi) but it is in the middle of a National Park and the place is overwhelming.

Great hostel. I would definitely recommend staying there. It is a bit far from the downtown, so you have to plan your day. To get to the city, you have to walk 15-20 minutes to the bus stop and then take the bus for 30 minutes. Other than that, everything else was perfect.

Nataly, Thank you for the positive spin on the walk to the bus stop, and the bus trip into Center City. It's guest like you that we LOVE having! If we could get the city to put the bus stop even at the stone tunnel, which would cut the walk in half, we'd be much more popular! However, guests like you realize that part of the hostelling experience is being able to experience unique facilities, like Chamounix Mansion. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay! Please come visit again!

The staff is so warm, friendly and accommodating. The area is beautiful, tucked away in this beautiful forest park and surrounded by old, towering trees. Very magical. And the hosts are so kind! The only complaint is that they kept double booking my bed, and often found someone sleeping in it when I got home. Maybe not the most organized, but defintely the friendliest hostel I've ever stayed in. There's pancakes in the morning!

• 12th Jun 2014

Jordan, Thank you for the almost poetic review! I am very sorry about your bed situation. Our system won't allow double-booking, but I can guess what happened, as it happens every night. Someone either didn't look at the bed numbers,or ignored them, and as you were in a highly coveted 'lower bunk', I believe an ill-mannered guest decided to help himself to your bunk. I am glad the trees made an impression on you! The Gingko is one, if not the oldest, in the US, Thank you again!

A friend and I just stayed there overnight on a road trip. It was far away from the city, but we drove there, so it wasn't really an issue for us. Cute hostel and generally great atmosphere -- loved chatting with the guy at the front desk!

Worst beds ever! So thin like a pillow and We all suffered back-pains later. I woke up hitting my head on ceiling! Its pathetic!! Makes lots of noise once anyone walks Location is far away from city, around $24 taxi one-way! To add to that they have 2am curfew and Lock-out time.

nice ostel a little bit outside of downtown...20min. walking from the bus stop...

it's very strange that people have to leave the building from 11am to 4:30 pm, when people travel sometimes we are very tired and need to rest, so they shouldn't have this rule!

View all Philadelphia Hostels