Hostelling International New York Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, USA

A massive hostel that is as easily as good as any cheap hotel in New York, easy subway connection which makes it so much easier getting to the main attractions.

Everything perfect!!!

• 11th Mar 2014
  • Argentina

I'll definitely stay here again. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Really close to the subway, and they have events almost daily.

• 1st Mar 2014

Amazingly convenient experience, I booked the same day, The bed was very clean and very comfortable and the service was impeccable. Way better than what I had expected from a hostel; specially in NY. Would definitely be back soon.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Lebanon

Initial confusion on my reservation made via hostelworld.com meant that my group had to exchange rooms. I don't know if the error was mine or hostelworld or HINY but we did not get the room arrangements I reserved

Of all the hostels i have stayed in, this specific hostel was a bit too big in terms of the actual size of the hostel. Therefore, I personally found the hostel to be more of hotel atmosphere and where most of the guests were doing their own thing (not that there is anything wrong with it) vs the atmosphere that I'm used to (people being more social).

This was my second time staying in this hostel (first in summer 2010 and second time in February 2014). The atmosphere and standards haven't changed at all, and I was delighted with this. There's a sociable atmosphere. The rooms are very clean, and I was happy to have a reading light and socket above bed. Free wifi. There are various social events each day, winter or summer. The nearest subway (the 1 train which brings you to midtown) is only a block away.

• 13th Feb 2014

Huge hostel, clean, all facilities are there and are extremely modern, check-in staff didn't really feel like working when i arrived though. No backpackers atmosphere in the hostel

There is a wonderful kitchen.

Nice hostel but hard to meet people apart from those in your dorm. The kind of hostel to accommodate to all ages (there were a few younger school groups staying there / meetings) so if your looking for that 'party/social' hostel I wouldnt stay there. Otherwise super nice place, very clean and safe and good cafe on ground floor.

2 out of the 4 showers on level three are broken (no water or only cold water) and the free comedy was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Not even slightly funny and the comedians were possibly the most globally ignorant people I've ever seen. If you are going to do stand up at an international hostel - tell jokes that have global appeal. The location of the hostel near the subway was great and the front desk staff were all brilliant! The cafe in the hostel was also great.

• 27th Jan 2014

Brent was really nice and helpful, and also very attractive.

I was pleasantly surprised by this place. It is a great place, I love the little coffee shop availalble around the clock. The rooms are clean and everybody very respectful. I would go back!

its a nice place to stay a couple days. I recommend this place.

• 25th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

I was very happy but would recommend you have cafe staff who know what is in their food. Both servers did not know the name of an ingredient in english that was in one of their pastas. This could be quite an issue for allergies.

• 24th Jan 2014

Big and bold and, therefore, perfectly in keeping with the rest of the city. Everything hangs together well in what is an old and traditional building. The cafe is top notch and the rooms are perfectly adequate. 2 subway lines (24hrs) are within easy walking distance. Would happily stay here again.

A great place to stay in NYC. Has a very cool lounge to hang out in. It is a great hostel to stay in.

I had a good time there, it's a bit pricey but hey it's in NYC, and the location is excellent.

If you like the feeling of perfectionism, of say perhaps a hotel, but can not spend as much, THIS IS YOUR BEST substitute for one third of the money for a hotel. Everything is new artsy clean and well taken care off. The staff is professional (while a bad cleaner man was gone after one complaint). Perfect Fun nights, well known comedians, coffee and food stand with class, tables of many and again much art and fresh pretty colored painted walls etc. Young and some older people, of class !!

Very good location and nice dorms. I would definitely recommend this hostel, especially if you stay in the City only for a few days. It might be a bit pricy (I paid 40 $/night for a 12 people dorm), but it's NYC after all.