Hostelling International New York Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, New York, USA

Worst hostel ever stayed. I was sleeping on the second floor and could hear every step from the third floor. The rooms were a total ness. They should make mixed rooms because 12 bed male rooms are a REALLY BAD IDEA. Men tend to be more clean and respectful when there are females in the same room. And the price is too high for the quality

It was good to have the option to join tours. Best way to meet people in a hostel this big. The kitchen was amazing!

The Hostel is impressive, i already stayed with you guys and vote you a 100% because the installations and the treatment i recieved that time worth it. But this time i had a bad expierence with your Staff, they where not Helpull at all! they made me loose a lot of money just because they didn´t want to help me. Thats the only reason of the lower rate!

Great hostel! Though I stayed in a 12 bed dorm, the room was spacious and able to accommodate everyone comfortably. The shared bathroom facilities were also surprisingly nice and easy to use. The common areas on the same level as the lobby were excellent and had a great social vibe. Also, thoroughly enjoyed the food the café served! Lots of affordable and delicious options. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking to stay in NYC without the business of midtown Manhattan!

Pretty expensive for a hostel but it is very clean and safe. Not a fan that you have to pay to use the internet computers (wifi is free though) and lockers, tea and coffee is also not supplied, breakfast is only included if you stay in one of the more expensive rooms.

• 3rd Jan 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, it was a bit loud being by the bathrooms but not too bad. I like how the beds were assigned and had large lockers. The cafe was great and all the events you could join in on.

It wad great to stay at hostelling new York! I really had a good time!

Great place to stay!! Everything was nice!!

I love it, I'll come back for sure.

• 26th Dec 2013
  • Mexico

It would be better if free breakfast is provided.

• 26th Dec 2013
  • China

The hostel was expensive (but what do you expect for Christmas in New York?) and the staff were a little slow on the service. Not because they didn't care, just because it was slammed when I first got there and they failed to be able to check people in and out quickly. The rest of the experience was great. I enjoyed the clean, safe shelter and atmosphere.I was especially fond of the kitchen - clean, functional and had everything i needed! I'd stay here again.

Fantastic facilities, however the hostel is so large that it is difficult to meet people without going on the arranged activities. Not exactly very cheap either but it is New York so you can't expect that.

Honestly, this hostel has been the best for meeting people. heaps of great activites are planned everyday. there are so many cool facilities and the property is huge. breakfast is amazing and the in-hostel canteen has everything you need. everything is clean, the hot water is atually hot and the staff are really helpful. only downfall is the location but its close to transport so is only 10 to 15 to get to most major tourist sites.

It's located near the station. Supermarket and starbucks are nearby. However, it's better to improve the hygiene inside, expecially for the bathroom. Also, the wifi there is the slowest one that I've experienced in the past hostels. This is the worst part of my stay. Other than that, everything was fine.

They are very rude, not friendly. But place was quite nice, this hostel is really huge so I could meet a lot of traveller. And the good thing was they provided towel. Ah, breakfast was really nice. And Red #1 line is near by hostel, just far away 1 block and it was convenient for going anywhere. thanks.

I fully recommend staying in this hostel if you're staying in New York, it has a great atmosphere and there are loads of activities. The only issue was that there was a guy who was taking drugs and being rude and disruptive. The hostel I felt did not take strong enough actions.

The people you meet and tours make this expensive hostel worth it. The Upper Westside location is a bit boring compared to other places in NYC but it's a nice area and right next to the subway and Central Park. I will continue to stay here when I visit NYC.

Very good hostel! Obviously it is a lot more expensive than "normal" hostels in less popular places, but everything was really clean, staff was very friendly and I really enjoyed staying there. Will come back next time!

Great hostel. Nice and clean, has everything you need. Not too close to downtown but only a block from a subway station. The daily activities they organise are great for socialising especially as a solo traveller. My only gripe is that it's the most expensive hostel I've ever stayed in. I ended up moving to a similar one for half the price but I'd still definitely recommend HI!

The staff were very slow checking me in, there was a line so deep people were sitting down in the lobby and it was after midnight. No bathroom in your suite. You share a large bathroom with the floor, which i guess is fine but it wasn't clean! On the floor on a stall door. I told the staff. It smelled horrible! Horrible experience! The lockers were large