Hostelling International New York Reviews

891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403, New York, New York, USA

I LOVED this hostel. I only stayed for one night, but the facility was BEAUTIFUL - movie theater, courtyard, and mound and mounds of spaces to sit and meet people... really great. The pub crawl was great too, and the staff did a great job of finding bars that didnt cost an arm and a leg for a beer - not easy in NYC. Honestly, I've stayed in a lot of hostels and this is one of my absolute favorites. Only reason its gets a less than stellar score for value is its NYC and my bed was $47.

This Hostel is a little out of the way (103rd Street) but very close to subways and Central Park. I felt safe walking around after dark. The restaurants and grocers were available at the next corner and there was a Starbucks one block away (at the subway). I had a very pleasant experience there.

• 3rd Nov 2013

The elevator is too slow

• 2nd Nov 2013
  • Mexico

Perfect location, great free events, very social. Bleeedin' deadly wha?!

I was upgraded to a better room as my bed was double booked . My 6 bed dorm was comfortable and many blankets provided . It gets cold at night so when we put the heater on it was extremely noisy and very hot. Shower facilities were great and very clean (communal ). Cafe downstairs is pretty good too . Lots of great tours running so there's always something on if you want to go out . Excellent kitchen facilities so you can prepare your own food too . I would definitely stay here again :)

I was sharing my room with a lot of mice. Disgusting. When I complained about it the general attitude was to laugh it off. Horrible.

• 1st Nov 2013

really nice place

I last stayed at this hostel eight years ago. Like the louche and minatory city of New York itself, it has come up in the world since then. It has the greatest kitchen of any hostel I ever have stayed at -- and that's plenty. Beds and rooms were satisfactory and the showers were fine. One bad touch in the bathrooms, though, Unlike the showers, that had copious hot water, the sinks supplied only cold. This give a sharp shock in the mornings when one is shaving. That's a small caveat though.

Had a great time at this place. good atmosphere good location and clean.

It was a lot better than I expected! Groups of school kids who have NO CONCEPT OF HOSTEL BATHROOM ETIQUETTE are the only real downside. But it's super close to a subway station and it's got everything you could need :) I was happy with my stay! It's expensive but hey it's New York!

Excellent hostel handy for Central Park - long walk or subway to mid-town & down-town. Staff were excellent really helpful and orginasied pub nights and neighbourhood tours were a great way to meet people

• 19th Oct 2013

We had a wonderful stay. The staff were warm and helpful, great food, convenient location.

It was very nice, the price was a bit high...but depending to New York the price was good to :-)

• 18th Oct 2013
  • Hungary

Congratulations, you're doing a great job!

Great job! You guys are great and hospitable!

1 2 3 4 5 Next » last »