Iguana Hostel Reviews

Calle Chiapa de Corzo 16, Barrio el Cerrillo, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

People, staff & really good environment for party for young people!

Great community vibe at this hostel. Breakfast is always delicious and they have great communal areas. Location is perfect and beds are super comfortable.

Great hostel with great staff. They were helpful and wanted to guests to have a good time. When i arrived my dorm was basically a sick ward however so i struggled to enjoy it fully because i got ill. But that was nothing to do with the hostel. Kitchen got cramped at times.

This hostel is the BEST!!! I was only supposed to stay at Iguana for a couple of days but I ended up staying a couple of weeks... The staff is great, they took care of me when I was sick and they were always up for a party. You can really tell that they love it at iguana as much as I've done... Would recommend to everyone!

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Sweden

Great facilities and a really good location. The atmosphere is very friendly and all the staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Highly recommended iguana hostel!

• 19th Nov 2015

Iguana hostel was one of the best hostel I was in Mexico due to the great people I could meet. We have a party almost every night there,sometimes even live music. We were playing drinking games almost everynight. I booked three night at the beggining but I was like a ten days and If i had had more time, Icould've applied for a volunteer in the hostel . I was sick for a few days and the staff looked after me I really appreciate their kidness

• 17th Nov 2015
  • Spain

Had a great stay at Iguana hostel...the staff are really welcoming and create a great atmosphere. The free breakfast is delicious and different everyday. Also if you're into cooking, the hostel is located right beside an amazing food market which can be pretty cheap if you shop around. If you're lucky you might be there for one of Hans yummy curry nights. Overall, highly recommend this hostel whether you're passing through or decide to stay longer :)

• 16th Nov 2015

Hostel Iguana has struck a very good balance between providing a safe place to relax and unwind, and also a place where you can have a lot of fun and meet some great people. The vibe is very friendly and social, the staff are extremely obliging, and there were often activities such as communal dinners and free tours which made the stay extra special. Highly reccommend this place.

Great value and great atmosphere. Lots of communal areas to meet the other guests and staff. Staff are mostly volunteers who stay for a month at minimum, and can give you great tips for daily living and future travels as well as just great stories and conversation. The owner Rudy is very hospitable and gives a fantastic walking tour- interesting bloke as well. Rooms are comfortable clean- maybe messy because of other guests but I prioritize clean over organized. Stayed much longer than planned!

Great atmosphere, and super helpful stuff. People always party but it's quiet after 11, for those who want to sleep. Oh, and comfortable beds!

We booked for 3 but ended up staying for 8! We loved this place. The breakfasts were a highlight and the owner Rudie took us all on 2 tours while we were there; a city tour and of neighbouring Chamula for day of the dead, both of which concluded with trying the local brews, Posh and craft beer! Excellent bakery and cafe nearby too. A laid back and social hostel, but they made sure any parties moved on at 11pm, and if you want a quiet night then you can re-treat to the hammocks. Loved it!

The atmosphere was great and the location was good. All the staff are volunteers so cannot really comment on them cause when you are there you are likely to have different ones and breakfast which dependent on the staff. But I found 12 bed dorm seemed a bit cramped and didn't like the hidden charge of tax which you will be notified after you booked. Although breakfast included there are other much cheaper options with similar vibe around in SCLC. But still good hostel.

Volunteers very friendly & helpful with tips of what to do, where to go & how. Ideal location within a few mins walk from both craft & food markets, only 5mins from main bar/restaurant streets. Wifi good, comfy beds, hot water, big & delicious breakfasts - though dependent on volunteers staying at the time. Lots of solo travellers so great to join occasional communal dinners. More a travellers residence than hostel though, and bathroom facilities not great, but good value for money as a result.

We had an excellent stay at Iguana Hostel and extended our original booking. The atmosphere created by the owner and staff was really friendly and relaxed and it was easy to get to know people and make friends over the delicious breakfasts and BBQs and shared dinners we had. It's really well equipped and right in town on a quiet square. Very clean rooms, comfy beds and proper hot showers. Theres lots of communal space with hammocks and sofas for chilling out. Would definitely recommend it!

• 11th Oct 2015

The best hostel ever!! That's why I came back to Iguana hostel! The staff is extremely friendly, beautiful and helpful. The breakfast is delicious and varied! Very good atmosphere. I'ts very easy to make friends. The hostel is very closed to the food market and the craft market and close to the centre too. This hostel is so great that I'm gonna stay here forever!! And you all can meet me!! :p

• 8th Oct 2015

MY FAVE HOSTEL IN MEXICO!! Everything about this place is great especially the breakfast :) super close to both markets too The volunteers are so lovely and welcoming and always make sure you are taken care of and that you have a beer! I'll be back for sure thankyou everyone especially rudy!!!

Amazing hostel located centrally in town. The vibe was great from both fellow travelers and the wonderful staff. I liked the town and hostel so much, I decided to stay almost two weeks! The hostel owner, Rudy, is great - friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about this place! While in San Cristóbal, staying at Iguana is a must. I look forward to returning after Christmas!

Amazing hostel!! You will not find anywhere else in San Cristobal with the same kind of hospitality, cleanliness, and fun. Iguana is a beautiful laid back place where you will meet incredible people from all over the world.

• 29th Aug 2015