Iguana Hostel Reviews

Calle Chiapa de Corzo 16, Barrio el Cerrillo, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

The best word to describe iguana is home. I traveled trough whole Central America and never found a Place where i felt so comfortable. The best thing about iguana is that it atrackts the Most lovely People from all over the world. If you are looking for a Place to chill, it is Perfect for you. If you love to Party, You will love it, too! Every Night there is sth going on, You will cook together, just chill On the roof or make a Fire in the Garden. Wonderful staff, best owner ever. I Fell in love

• 19th Apr 2014

Iguana Hostel is a very comfortable and friendly place. It is a great hostel to meet people from around the world. The hostel itself has many places to relax and share your travel stories, including an outdoor patio with tables and sofas, a cozy TV room lined with pillows and filled with many movies and a computer, and the yard lined with half a dozen hammocks. The staff and owner are sweet and very helpful. The free breakfast in the morning is always delicious. Iguana is a great place to stay!

i really am satisfied with this hostel. Rudy and Monika are very friendly and humorous owners! i could stay here like home and have such a great time with ppl come together. it's good to have a party with friends! i think whoever gonna stay in iguana, the plan will be changed definitely! long staying, and more friends in your life! Thanks iguana!

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Dngerous
  • South Korea

Iguana is such a special place in San Cristobal, with a great friendly vibe. Rudy, the owner, is such a sweet and caring person, and it felt like I was staying at a friend's house, rather than a hostel. The breakfasts are awesome, the showers are hot, and the location is perfect, just up the street from both the artisan and fruit markets. Also, the kitchen is pretty big, and there's a bbq, which makes for lots of fun community dinners...I love iguana.

• 1st Apr 2014

2 showers in the hole hostel is not enough.. Staff really friendly... Breakfast was good... Didn't like too much the atmosphere..

• 1st Apr 2014

Our stay at Iguana Hostel was just wonderful! Not only the location is beautiful and near the center but also the owner Rudy is a very helpful person and helped us whenever we had a problem. While our stay at the hostel we had problems with our health and Rudy accompanied us to the doctor and showed us where we could buy our medicaments! Furthermore the rooms where clean, the breakfast is delicious and not only bread with marmelade and the people are very friendly!

I really enjoyed my stay at the Iguana and I highly recommend this place. The staff treats you like family and help you whenever you need something. The breakfast is probably the best I've ever had in Mexico. We really enjoyed the daily Trivia, Curry, Pizza or BBQ nights and over all the unique atmosphere! You easily get in touch with people. We loved relaxing in the hammocks and spending time with other travelers in the communal places. Muchas Gracias por todo Rudy!! I will definitely return!

• 20th Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

I arrived in the morning really warm and with breakfast. Everyday there is a relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast together on one table. With dinner people like to share so if it is out for diner or one person cooks or organise a bbq. Every night was different for me. 2 nights campfire and drinking till 10.30 and the staff will ask for the neighbours and the other sleeping guest to go to the nice bars. For me a great balance.

Location was OK. Limited bathrooms and not very clean.

What a great Hostel! The owners have setup a perfect getaway Oasis in Which you can realx in after a big day of exploring. Chillout in a hammock or sink some cervecas with the other guests. Group meals are the norm and everyone contributes. The guests make the Hostel but the owners are the one´s that make this possible. I spent a night in Hospital and the owner and one of the other guests came to visit me. Very Chuffed.

I can't say enough good things about this hostel! Once you stay here, you are part of the Iguana family and are treated as such. From big family style dinners and BBQs to insider tips on the area from owner Rudy to late night trivia, this place feels like home away from home on the road. It has a convenient central location (near artisan and food markets, 10 mins walk from main zocolo), incredibly friendly and helpful staff, hot showers and strong wifi, and good vibes all around. Don't miss it!!

• 15th Feb 2014

This place is a big net that catch good people! A lot of people were coming for few days and ended up staying for few weeks! That made the atmosphere very friendly, everyone geting together and including the new people as well. We did BBQs, played Trivia, went to visit the city together,... Its not too stricked on rule while being respectfull. Anyway good place!

• 8th Feb 2014

Staying at Iguana hostel in San Cristobal is one of the highlights of my journey in Mexico. People plan for 2-3 days but end up staying for a week. It is most likely due to the superfriendly owner and his staff who welcomes and treats travellers like friends, the superb common areas, the joint dinners, the campfires, and the deeply traditional yet hip and laid back town all adds to its magic. People gather from other hostels at the end of the day and socialise all there. You dont want to miss!

Pros: The owner of this hostel - he was genuinely caring and committed to making sure that his hostel provided the best experience for staff The kitchen - well stocked (though the gas was tricky to light) The wifi: fast and consistent Hammocks: plenty in the sun Laundry hanging space Breakfast - plentyful and nice Downsides: Toilets and bathrooms - one bathroom for at least 20 people on the ground floor and a second one through the kitchen on the top floor (walk past everyone in towel)

Iguana is definitely my favorite hostel in Mexico! I loved my stay there and I hope that one day I will be back! I stayed in the female dorm which was really cozy, clean and comfortable. Every dormitory has lockers so you can put your valuables there. The hostel has beautiful garden with hammocks, spacious kitchen and terrace where the staff prepares tasty breakfasts. All the staff was very nice, ready to help and answer all my questions. The location is just perfect. Excellent hostel! :)

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • Poland

This place is like home to me! I keep coming back there for almost 3 years now. Great, open, full of energy and ideas stuff, warm & helpful owners, hamacas, great tarrace and well equiped kitchen - these things are always waiting for me there. This is not only place too sleep but also to be! Hostel is organising usually trips together, nights out, bonfires, barbeques and my favourite Trivia nights. Every time I come the stuff is different but it's always same cool. I guess it's magic of Iguana

• 30th Jan 2014
  • Poland

It was my second time in Iguana Hostel and as soon as I walked in I had that feeling of being home. Even though my previous "family" had dispersed, I had a new one waiting for me with open arms. The staff (and the owner Rudy) are always amazing, and there's always new friends to make and activities to join in on - group dinners, BBQs, trivia nights. The location is fantastic, the food market just around the corner is still one of my favourite places to wander about in San Cris. Until next time!!

I found the dorm room very messy and dirty. This may have had more to do with the guests than the staff, but I did make a reservation in advance, so I think it is up to the staff to ensure that there are acceptable conditions for receiving a new guest. The hostel is smaller than others, which I was looking forward to. However, having only two showers available for guests was not sufficient. It was not clear who worked there and who was a guest. No maps or guides visibly accessible at reception.

• 28th Jan 2014

My favourite hostel in Mexico! From the moment I arrived I was welcomed by the friendliest staff (thanks Kasia and Kim!), and the atmosphere they created among their guests was fun and inclusive. As usual, I planned just to stay one night and left a week later. There were constantly barbecues, trivia nights and the most incredible egg curries keeping me there and it was impossible to leave. Thanks a mill guys!

• 21st Jan 2014

My stay at the Iguana was one of the best hostel experiences I've had. The breakfast is delicious, filling, and varied, and the staff make you feel like part of the family. It's a great hostel for solo travelers especially because it's easy to make friends there. The staff regularly organize barbecues, trivia, and curry nights. It often gets cold at night in San Cris, but the staff have extra blankets if you need them! I couldn't recommend this hostel more highly.

View all San Cristobal de las Casas Hostels