Indigo on Otres Reviews

Otres Beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia

The atmosphere at the hostel is very good, the staff was very helpful and gave us advice on everything. This is the place to spend time and relax at the beach

• 10th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Gorgeous hostel in the best location ever. Bungalow right on the beach for such a resonable price. The food is great too, and you can just walk across the beach to all of the other bars/restaurants. Will made us feel very welcome - we ended up staying a lot longer than we originally planned and even stay a second time around after our trip to Koh Rong. Would def recommend Otres beach over Serendipity as its so over crowded there. Otres beach is beautiful.

Staff are amazing, location is amazing. Def basic bungalows etc but that's fine, with mosquito net etc. Needs more toilets..ten rooms 2 toilets not ideal.. Can find cheaper and better places nearby,not with the location though. Place needs a facelift, pictures are deceiving. All in all if you don't mind some bugs,rats etc(whole area has rats not just indigo) and basic room then all good, staff make up for it being shabby, place needs a lick of paint and some tlc..

Thankyou for the review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay overall :) We will be re-painting the bar, bungalows and furniture and carrying out other maintenance as soon as the rainy season is over. We re-paint each year but unfortunately the sea air and storms take their toll fairly quickly.

First of all, the bed sheets were not changed, when we checked in. the floor was dirty too. we got new sheets, after asking, but the pillow was full with mold (it was blue!!!!!). the towels were full of brown patches. there were just 2 bathrooms for all the bungalows and they were also in a super bad condition. the first day, the shower didnt work at all. the food is quite expensive and once weve got a burger which bread was still frozen. all in all the beach was nice but thats it!

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Normally rooms are checked prior to new guests being checked-in to ensure that they have been cleaned/linen changed. New towels were bought this year but occasionally, during times of high room turnover, older towels have to be used which are marked due to the red dirt on the road/use of well water, but are clean. I was unaware of any problem with the showers at that time but I will investigate further and can confirm that they are in working order now.

Definitely bare bones here. Nothing luxury or unnecessary. Bed, mosquito net, and fan is the most you get in terms of comfort. That being said, the price can't be beat. Staff was extremely helpful, but not too much socializing here. Better off at one of the bars down the beach for that. Bathrooms were a little gross, so I skipped that, but again you are paying for what you get. Location was fantastic if you're focus is on the beach, our room literally opened up onto it.

Staff were fantastic. Thanks Will for going above and beyond to make our stay so amazing

• 24th Jul 2014

Perfect place for some quiet time and Wil and Justin run the place how everyone should do it

The management were nice but unfortunately the place was quite poorly maintained. There was only 2 toilet/showers for 10 chalets, so queuing outside in the rain at 6am for the toilet isn't ideal. The toilets were smelly and we were warned about rats in the room if there was food! :/ The food and drinks were pretty good but unfortunately the weather was bad while we were there and there was no TV/board games available. Furniture was dirty and broken, a bit of TLC would go a long way here!

The location of Indigo is excellent, right on the stunning beach. The people who run it are just the best people ever - they were really kind and helpful, and really made me feel at home. I thoroughly enjoyed staying here. The bathrooms, however, are pretty awful, and the food was just ok - fortunately other options are just a stroll on the beach away. The bungalows have mosquito nets, a fan and a cane wardrobe - very nice! Overall not a bad option for what you're paying.

We had a fantastic stay with Will and Vicki! They were so helpful and kind towards us and our friends. We only booked one night and ended up staying for over a week because we enjoyed it so much. A really nice place to relax during the day and a good nightlife very nearby. Would highly recommend staying here! And the food is amazing!

• 29th May 2014

Pros: Excellent location. Just a few steps away from the sea. Quiet stretch of Otres, if you're looking for somewhere with more night life you're better off walking further down the beach. Really chill. Cons: Bathrooms were poorly maintained (other hostels on Otres had much cleaner bathrooms.) Hut had one ceiling fan, but with the mosquito net over the bed we could hardly feel any breeze. Even with the window open the hut can get very warm at night. Furnishings in the hut are worn out.

A great place to stay!

• 17th May 2014

We had a lovely time at Indigo, the atmosphere was great and the owners were more then accommodating in helping us find things to do around Sihanoukville as well as transportation to Phnom Penh!

• 27th Apr 2014

This was one of the best places I've ever stayed in a beach location. It was a simple lifestyle, but happy and relaxing. The staff was great, so kind and very helpful. A few weeks after I stayed here, I even sent a friend their way because I enjoyed myself so much. I just hope I can make it back someday.

Very friendly staff and beautiful beach. Perfect for relaxation. Restaurant and bar also very good.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Nice location for the beach, got told about Rats at night coming into the hut if you've got food. Had no food yet one came in and was running about the room and woke me up. Other than that it's good that you're 10 steps to the beach

We chose Indigo from the reviews and price given lots of the accommodation on Otres has shared bathrooms. For 10 bungalows there are only 2 bathrooms. This surprised us given how many people needed the facilities. We'd booked 5 nights but stayed only 2 as we found somewhere with an ensuite for the same price. Another bummer was the design of the bungalows. No natural light so they're pitch dark at all times of the day. They're also very small and without any private outdoor space. Good peeps tho

The staff was great. The rodents chewed some of our stuff, but other than that the bungalow was comfy enough. Bathrooms/showers aren't the best, but we've experienced worse. The place has a nice relaxed atmosphere with a nice beach. Tuk tuks are readily available if you want to go into Sihanoukville.

I booked 3 nights here, arrived late on my first night to friendly staff. After going to my hut i noticed rat droppings behind the door. At 2am I was woken by two rats in my hut, I saw them and scared them off. They came back continually through the wall gaps so the battle carried on until sunrise. I checked out the next morning. The staff were very nice but said Otres beach had a rat problem, but I didn't detect that any sort of solution was being investigated. S-ville generally felt dirty.

We're sorry you decided to cut your stay short with us. We have investigated various ways to prevent rats entering the bungalows but other than changing the structure from bamboo to solid walls there are no fail safe solutions. This is the same problem for all bungalows on the beach. Instead, we try to control the population by poisoning the runs around our property. Whilst this is effective most of the time there are still occasions when rats are seen.

The owners were very friendly and helpful and the beach was like paradise! Don't book a bus or boat from the beach venders, uncomfortable and unsafe!

View all Sihanoukville Bed and Breakfasts