International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, New York, USA

There are many rules and i feel like im living in a boarding school.

• 22nd Dec 2013
  • Thailand

A decent place for its price, a block away from the Central Park and the B/C metro lines. The room was spacious and warm. Good social areas. However, there are very few toilets and showers, no elevators and the stairs are uneven and narrow. You can't take your wheeled carry-on bag upstairs. What I first saved was eventually spent on internet (no wifi, only 10 min of complimentary internet, then you have to pay $1 for each 10 min) and luggage storage after check-out ($1 each hour after 11 am).

• 16th Dec 2013
  • Colombia

Great place to meet people and close to central New York. Would recommend

• 9th Dec 2013

They have the most rules and requirements imaginable. The staff isn't friendly, and they don't have WIFI! You are required to be out of not only your room but the entire hostel its self every single morning by 10am and cannot re-enter it until 3pm. You aren't able to bring in your luggages into your own rooms! Why this is I DO NOT KNOW. You have to leave your luggage in their main office which is small and cluttered with everyone else's luggages. The beds must have been 100 years old too…

You can be in the lounge and kitchen area at any time except cleaning hours (10:30-12). Rooms are only closed 12-3 for cleaning. You are not required to vacate the hostel ever. Luggage cannot go up to the rooms because of fire safety regulations set upon us by the fire department. We comply by those rules. Thank you for understanding. Safe Travels!

Worst I ever seen! Nothihing like hostels in other cities, this place is like a prison, its rules are designed for their own benefits and consider nothing for guests at all.

Many of the rules are imposed on us by the fire department and we follow them accordingly. It is for the safety of the guests and the staff. Safe travels!

It was very good. I will come

• 4th Dec 2013
  • Colombia

This hostel is good for price and location. The female staff were nice and helpful and the male staff never even said hello and never helped. Also got bites around my ankles on the night I didn't sleep with long socks on so probably bed bugs are there. It was fine for what it was but would be better to keep your suitcase in your room

I just spend one night in this hostel and was really boring

Really great staff, awesome location, safe environment and good value for money. Lack of wifi and not allowing guests to bring their bags to their rooms were the only frustrations I had during my stay. Overall a great experience.

• 30th Nov 2013

I enjoyed this hostel mostly for its value and location. I've stayed in many hostels in different parts of the world and this one didn't feel very hostel-y. I chatted briefly with a girl in my dorm but other than that there wasn't a very good centralized hang out area to meet other people staying there. I had a wonderful nights sleep though, the bed was very comfy. I recommend waking up early to use the toilet and shower because there are only two WC's on each floor.

• 20th Nov 2013

Next time you stop by be sure to check out our common area! We have a lounge and a kitchen where guests like to hang out. You can meet new friends, play games, watch tv, read books and even play some music! Safe travels!

No wifi, strange rules like everybody have to store their bags in reception.

Large bags are not allowed in the dormitories to comply with NYC fire department regulations of having exit areas free of any obstruction. We do not have Wi-Fi because we want to promote an environment of social interaction and city adventuring. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation! Safe Travels!

How can there not be any ladders up to the top bucks???? I nearly broke my neck/stepped on the person's face below me every time I tried to get up and down. Please also install wifi! It's 2013 people! I did appreciate the locker access, and spacious lounge, and the very clean and large bathrooms. Also the neighbourhood was very secure and quiet at night. Thank you very much for the stay, if there had been ladders and wifi this would have been a perfect stay!

great hostel, good location, friendly staff :)

• 11th Nov 2013
  • Denmark

The hostel was completely great in terms of price, location and chilled out atmosphere. It was, as others have said, strange and slightly annoying to have no wifi and needing to leave suitcases downstairs, but they will give you canvas bags to take up to the rooms and time on the in-office pc for internet. Downstairs communal room was large and good. And good friendly atmosphere in the rooms.

The building was a small bit run down but I cannot sing the praise enough of the staff. They were extremely friendly, socialable, professional and helpful, without doubt the biggest asset to the hostel.

• 6th Nov 2013

Worst HOstel I have ever been Bad Staff that are disrespectfull bad facilities, for instance they have got a backyard but we are not allowed to use it...This is the stupidest think I have ever seen. We are not allowed to bring our luggage in the Room. We are not allowed to lay on the couch There is no Wifi ( hello we are in 2013 ) Unkindest staff I have ever met ( exept cleaning ladies) Well I felt like if I was in a COMMUNIST CAMP I ll never come back

It is important to read rules and policies listed in a profile on hostelworld before making a reservation. An email is sent to reconfirm these rules. Our rules are set according to regulations set upon us by the fire dept. This is why luggage cannot go up to the room and the backyard is out of bounds. We comply with the rules and ask guests for their understanding. Sleeping is prohibited on the couches so staff can be alerted if there is an unknown visitor trying to stay with us. Safe travels!

This is the cheapest in NY, so I can not complain. Staff is a nice.

The location of this hostel is pretty good. Closer than I thought it would be to Central Park & the subway. Lots of stores & local restaurants near by. This hostel did not have much interaction when I went, everyone seemed to do their on thing. To there credit they do at least have an area where you could interact. The only thing I did not like about the hostel is that they put me on the top bunk & there were no ladders.

Next time you stay with us if you request a bottom bunk we will be happy to do our best to put you in bottom bunk. Safe Travels!

I think there should be more information on walking tours, pub crawls

So far so well! the only bad thing is that i forgot my gloves in my room!!!

• 1st Nov 2013