Kinabalu Mountain Lodge Reviews

Kampung Tinompok, Kundasang, (1KM before Kinabalu National Park), Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Having to eat vegetarian fare is not suitable for hiking 15 km or more in a day. Having an Internet connection would make it easier to do research for onward plans. Simply having reliable electricity would have been great. Once you get past all of this it is a peaceful retreat from the city. The staff is fantastic! The basics are definitely absent though. For a closer location to the park try Tahubang Lodge. Not only do they have Internet, but there is a bustling Malay restaurant next door.

Great place. A bit far from the national park, about 10 mins walk, but definitely worth it since it´s so quiet and in the middle of nature. The shower (superhot!) and toilet area is HUGE and clean. Take your camera there at night and take docool pics from Borneo´s colourful moths and beetles (hey, it´s the jungle). Good daily RM10 dinner if you reserve in time, nice breakfast sandwiches and wonderful nasi takeaway if you climb the mountain that day. Only downside: super creaky dorm beds.

To be fair this hostel is in the middle of nowhere but as long as you know that it is fine - I just needed it for the night before climbing Mt Kinabalu. It is quite a steep up and down hill from the main road if you are walking. Despite them not having my booking I was put in a dorm without any fuss for the price I was quoted. Luckily they provide a vegetarian dinner for RM10 as long as you tell them beforehand. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The friendliness of the staff that got up as early as 4 in the morning preparing breakfast for us that is participate in Climbathon Kinabalu. So cool!!

Owner was really friendly and helpful. I was there for the climbathon and he gave me a lift to the finishing point to catch the other race.

This is a perfect hiking base in a dry warm season, but not when it rains. During our stay it was extremely cold and the hostel is not equipped with appropriate facilities for this weather. The toilet is basically outdoors and windows let cold air in. I had to sleep with all my clothes on and it still felt cold. However, I must say good words about two lovely girls who look after the hostel. They were so kind to us: helped to get out of the park, gave raincoats for free and made delicious food.

The listing says that there is a restaurant. They just make you vegetarian dinner(only option) for 9RM if you want it. It's good but I was originally under the impression that there was a real dining facility on site that was open for other mealtimes, not dinner.

Very helpful and kind staff. Beautiful view of the mountain and valley. Very relaxing and good food cooked by the hosts.

Very nice cabin, very nice staff, breakfast and dinner simple but filling. It is a 30min walk from the kinabalu park but otherwise great place.

I could not be more pleased with the service provided at this lodge, it is clean, location is closest to park entrance that isn't tour operator owned and its surroundings are just stunning. In addition to these attributes I accidentally left something of value at this lodge and after a few emails to one of the hosts Yuen, she got her husband to drop it off at my hostel in KK the very next day. Beautiful place, Beautiful people. Thanks again.

View all Kota Kinabalu Hostels