Mama's Home Reviews

Calle Orion s-n Entre Venus y Sol Oriente, Tulum, Mexico

Everything is fine, breakfast varies every day and people are lovely. The only thing is that the mexican guy who works there is unable to run the hostel while the boss is on holiday. I didn't get to know the boss unfortunately, I only heard good things about him, also in other parts of mexico. But as I said, the mexican dude is quite moody, doesn't really help you and forgets a lot of things. Make sure you pay the right amount of money when you're leaving. The rest of the staff is wonderful!!!

Jose was very good to us at mamas! It feels like a cabana there. With a palm tree in the middle! Breakfast is lovely too. I highly recommend u get a bed or room with the air con cuz the Mosquitos are bad in tulum and it's friggin hot! It was way worth having it than not! I would for sure come back!

This hostel is lovely and Jose is such a nice guy. They do need to change their directions though as I walked around for 30 mins in the hot sun looking for the hostel. It says turn right three blocks after the big square but it's actually only 2 blocks and would be more descriptive to say turn right at the farmacia. The private room was beautiful, hotel quality but the bed was hard as a board and the air con ineffectual. I enjoyed the breakfast.

Excellent, relaxing place. Pina Colada Night was very cool! Jose was a super nice host who was very helpful with where to go and what to do. And not to forget the breakfast: Awesome! You get a special dish made for you and it's simply delicious.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Excellent hostel! Jose and staff were so great couldn't have asked for a better place away from home. Outstanding breakfasts and great activities. This place draws a great bunch of travellers and is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at.

Best place to stay in Tulum! Mama's Home was wonderful and Jose made the best breakfast every morning! No one can say no to pancakes with Mango, vanilla ice-cream and peanuts, even at 7:30 am! Great value for money and lovely, relaxed atmosphere! Highly recommendable!

We loved our stay at mamas home, fantastic environment run by charismatic Jose. They ran activities and tours to cenotes that only locals would know about for very cheap. Downfalls was kitchen could of been a bit bigger and make sure your choose an air conditioned room in summer. Breakfast was phenomenal, different and delicious every day. Hostel was the perfect size to meet people and socialize. Couldn't of picked a better place to stay in tulum.

Pls arrange a fan for the top bunk beds in the rooms with no AC.

• 8th Jun 2014

It was the best hostel i have stayed! It really feels like Mama´s Home! I wanted to stay for 2 nights, and stayed all my last 9 nights in this hostel! The stuff is very very friendly and so nice! And the breakfast is so good!! I will always come back to this hostel!!!!

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Austria

Excellent well located hostel, clean, welcoming, good showers, lovely communal space & atmosphere, full kitchen, free drinking water, free wifi, delicious breakfast included, bike & snorkel rental etc...the list goes on. Great value, I shared a twin room on the upper level overlooking the court yard, it had 2 double beds (amazing!), en suite hot & cold water, AC & a writing desk. Hostel is very well run Jose & his team are always around to help & answer any questions with tireless enthusiasm

Booked myself in for 2 nights, in the end I stayed a week. The owner has changed recently - now it's one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in all over the world. Breakfast is every day different but always excellent. The atmosphere is relaxed and a lot fun (the owner has a lot good ideas e.g. bbq, mojito, movie nights ...). In general staff takes very good care of all travellers (they know a lot about tulum). I will be very happy to come back soon!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! The atmosphere is great, the staff is so friendly and helpful, and we just had a blast there! Was only supposed to stay there for a couple of nights, but we ended up staying for a whole week! Would def recommend staying there!

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Denmark

This was the best hostel that we stayed in during our time in Mexico. I can't really speak for the dorms as we had a private double, although everybody that we met at the hostel shared the same really positive attitude towards it as we did. Jose who now runs the place is a wonderfully friendly and helpful presence who really made the stay for us. Our room was incredible, really big for the price with AC, nice shower, oh and the breakfasts were amazing! Would definitely recommend.

• 24th Apr 2014

This hostel is fantastic. The atmosphere is fun and relaxing. The breakfasts are delicious (changing everyday). Jose goes out of his way to make sure that all his guests are happy - nothing is too much trouble. Thank you for a great couple of days!

• 20th Apr 2014

This is the best place in Mexico.

• 16th Apr 2014
  • Hungary

Was the most amazing hostel. The breakfast really is so incredible. Delicious chocolate french toast, mango pineapple pancakes, tomato zucchini omelette. Jose is an amazing host. Our bed was very comfy and the room was very clean. The only bad thing was our bathroom smelt kinda funny in the morning but it was so minor. Was so sad to leave Jose's at Mama's Home. Our next time to Tulum we will definitely be staying here.

great hostel jose is a champion !

Very friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere, hot showers and delicious breakfast! The only flaw was the beds/pillows were not the most comfortable.

• 11th Mar 2014

Had a bad experience with really unfriendly staff. Tried to overcharge us for our room until we double checked the price. Booked a private room that was dirty, no hot water as advertised. For a popular hostel, none of the staff spoke English so unless you speak Spanish, you can't communicate with them. Would not recommend.

• 17th Feb 2014

Mama's home was perfect! We had a private room which was quite big, very clean, and with a nice bathroom. The courtyard is beautifully colourful, and a great place for breakfast or to have a drink in the night. Lots of travelers, and a great place to meet people! The best part would have to be the breakfast, which changes every morning- from pancakes, to french toast, to stuffed avocados! Mama is very funny and helpful. Would definitely stay there again!