McLays Guest House Reviews

264-276, Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland

As all the reviews state the location is a bit far from the train stations but great for shopping and eating. There were some negative reviews online so I was worried but this was the only place available for my group. I shouldn't have been worried! The reception was kind, the rooms were comfortable and the full breakfast was awesome. I'm accustomed to staying in hostels so this was a HUGE upgrade and if you are looking for more of a hotel feel I would definitely recommend McLays.

I would not stay in this hostel again. We found the staff and the hostel in general and little "cold". This is a good place for families or older travels who want the feel of a hotel for hostel prices. We prefer a warmer and more community feel when we stay at a hostel.

Great Hostel! Loved the feel, great location, excellent hot breakfast in the mornings!

• 24th Mar 2014

Nice staff and lovely clean hostel The breakfast good, and tea and coffee in room most welcome. I am a traveller with walking disabilities, so the area was a little too hilly for me. For art lovers the Rennie Mackintosh museum etc is only just a few metres from the hostel

Had a great stay in this hotel. The location is fantastic, staff all super friendly and welcoming, and the breakfast was brilliant. For such a low price you really couldn't ask for anything more. I'd certainly stay here again.

Was a bit more expensive than I was looking for, but it was game day in Glasgow with a few concerts as well, so it was last resort!! Despite that it was very cosy, great to have a private room, great wifi and walking distance from the station.A hot breakfast was delicious in the morning as well!

Room was too cold and there was no hot water. However, they did give us an extra heater (that was also heating almost nothing) and extra quilts. Still we slept with jeans, jacket and socks on. Wi-fi is only in the reception. I used it for five minutes to update my maps and it stopped working after 5 minutes. The breakfast is very good and tasty although there's too much smoke in the dining room. The location is very good.

Very good location, about 5 min walking to de railway station and to the bus station (bus to Cairngorm Mountain). The room is ok. Noise passes very easily through walls though. I went to snowboarding and I just wanted a place to sleep and overrall I think it was a good choice.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location (although the hill from Sauchiehall street is a nightmare, hardly their fault). Room was very tidy, though a tad cold with the curtains open. Breakfast was top class. Fully intend on staying again. Oh, and £24 a night for a private single en-suite? In that location?? Absolute bargain!!

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Scotland

Fine experience- quiet and what I needed for that night, nothing extra. The breakfast is great! Overall, a decent place and reasonably priced.

We were very pleased with our time at McLays and it was mainly due to the friendliness and excellence of the staff, particularly Anne. It was a very quick walk to many wonderful places around the City Centre, and we were able to see much of the area in a few short days as a result. Would highly recommend staying there.

Very close to downtown and lots of great restaurants. Convenient to public transportation. Hot breakfast very day was delicious and filling. They even made us tea and toast on the last day when we left super early, before breakfast staff arrived.

• 27th Dec 2013

First of all, Lovely staff. AND THEN: The hostel is placed in a very famous literaraturic cultural loction named Garnet Hill! /O Kuremyr Sweden

Friendly and welcoming guest house in a great location. Shame there is no social room however & security could be tightened a little as you only have to say your room number! Our Double private with en-suite was clean and tidy and warm (glad it was winter tho to vent the room a little). Couldn't ask for more at this price and location, 5min walk to the very centre of Glasgow.

• 23rd Nov 2013
  • Scotland

My husband and I really enjoyed staying here. The room was very homey and comfortable and the staff was helpful and welcoming. The location is also incredibly convenient, we were able to walk to pretty much everything we wanted to do and see. I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

I am more than happy with my stay. I did not expect to get such good value for my money. I can highly recommend this place!

• 19th Nov 2013

We stayed in a double ensuite room for two nights. The room and bathroom were clean and pleasant, with a massive TV and tea and coffee making facilities. Too hot though - we turned down radiators and slept with windows open in November. The water pressure and temperature was unpredictable but fine for a quick shower. Highlight was the staff - extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming landlady. Breakfast (included in the price) was delicious. Excellent location. Would definitely stay there again.

The hostel is roughly 10 or 15 minutes walk from Glasgow buchanan bus station. The walk from bus or train station to hotel is uphill, better to take a taxi if you have lots of luggage. Also, there is underground train station roughly 15 minutes from the hotel (Cessnock SPT). I had a good night stay at the hotel. The hotel has free wifi, and free Scottish breakfast in the morning.

More like a hotel than hostel, but great value for money. Good breakfast. Friendly and excellent service from all staff. Would stay here again

cheapish, good value for money, excellent location. Pretty secure but don't check your details when ask for room key just give it to you, which worried me slightly.

View all Glasgow Bed and Breakfasts