McLays Guest House Reviews

264-276, Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland

The hotel was right next to the CCA which makes it fantastic for anybody wanting to see great bands. The rooms were clean and the staff were friendly. The room was fairly basic, but for the price this is what you would expect. If you are looking for a clean, friendly place to crash while you explore Glasgow, I Would toughly recommend.

• 10th May 2014

No electricity in our room when we first arrived due to a circuit being blown, no wi-fi in the building except in a dirty and uncomfortable dining room, beds were unreasonably hard, showers didn't have curtains so the bathroom was left drenched after a single use, there was no additional privacy bolt on the door, and the electric kettle in the room had mildew coating the inside rendering it unusable. While none of these were individual deal breakers, the overall experience was sub-par.

• 29th Apr 2014

This is a b and b type accommodation, I stayed two nights in early May with my sister. The room was beautiful and quiet, with windows that actually open looking into the garden ( number 98!). Lots of hot water in the shower and very nice breakfast. Location is actually quite good, less than 5 minutes from charring cross station. The big downside for us was that there is no inroom wifi - dining room only - and even then it was quite slow. Also, there was not a very personal atmosphere.

Really loved it here; a hotel, not a hostel, really. The breakfast was not a bowl of cereal and some fruit, but a full on English breakfast. You'd have paid ten pounds for it anywhere else. Only down side was the wifi, which was not yet in the rooms, but they were working on extending it while we were there.

My second and definietly not my last stay.

As all the reviews state the location is a bit far from the train stations but great for shopping and eating. There were some negative reviews online so I was worried but this was the only place available for my group. I shouldn't have been worried! The reception was kind, the rooms were comfortable and the full breakfast was awesome. I'm accustomed to staying in hostels so this was a HUGE upgrade and if you are looking for more of a hotel feel I would definitely recommend McLays.

I would not stay in this hostel again. We found the staff and the hostel in general and little "cold". This is a good place for families or older travels who want the feel of a hotel for hostel prices. We prefer a warmer and more community feel when we stay at a hostel.

Great Hostel! Loved the feel, great location, excellent hot breakfast in the mornings!

• 24th Mar 2014

Nice staff and lovely clean hostel The breakfast good, and tea and coffee in room most welcome. I am a traveller with walking disabilities, so the area was a little too hilly for me. For art lovers the Rennie Mackintosh museum etc is only just a few metres from the hostel

Had a great stay in this hotel. The location is fantastic, staff all super friendly and welcoming, and the breakfast was brilliant. For such a low price you really couldn't ask for anything more. I'd certainly stay here again.

1 2 Next » last »