McLays Guest House Reviews

264-276, Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland

This is a b and b type accommodation, I stayed two nights in early May with my sister. The room was beautiful and quiet, with windows that actually open looking into the garden ( number 98!). Lots of hot water in the shower and very nice breakfast. Location is actually quite good, less than 5 minutes from charring cross station. The big downside for us was that there is no inroom wifi - dining room only - and even then it was quite slow. Also, there was not a very personal atmosphere.

Really loved it here; a hotel, not a hostel, really. The breakfast was not a bowl of cereal and some fruit, but a full on English breakfast. You'd have paid ten pounds for it anywhere else. Only down side was the wifi, which was not yet in the rooms, but they were working on extending it while we were there.

My second and definietly not my last stay.

As all the reviews state the location is a bit far from the train stations but great for shopping and eating. There were some negative reviews online so I was worried but this was the only place available for my group. I shouldn't have been worried! The reception was kind, the rooms were comfortable and the full breakfast was awesome. I'm accustomed to staying in hostels so this was a HUGE upgrade and if you are looking for more of a hotel feel I would definitely recommend McLays.

I would not stay in this hostel again. We found the staff and the hostel in general and little "cold". This is a good place for families or older travels who want the feel of a hotel for hostel prices. We prefer a warmer and more community feel when we stay at a hostel.

Great Hostel! Loved the feel, great location, excellent hot breakfast in the mornings!

• 24th Mar 2014

Nice staff and lovely clean hostel The breakfast good, and tea and coffee in room most welcome. I am a traveller with walking disabilities, so the area was a little too hilly for me. For art lovers the Rennie Mackintosh museum etc is only just a few metres from the hostel

Had a great stay in this hotel. The location is fantastic, staff all super friendly and welcoming, and the breakfast was brilliant. For such a low price you really couldn't ask for anything more. I'd certainly stay here again.

Was a bit more expensive than I was looking for, but it was game day in Glasgow with a few concerts as well, so it was last resort!! Despite that it was very cosy, great to have a private room, great wifi and walking distance from the station.A hot breakfast was delicious in the morning as well!

Room was too cold and there was no hot water. However, they did give us an extra heater (that was also heating almost nothing) and extra quilts. Still we slept with jeans, jacket and socks on. Wi-fi is only in the reception. I used it for five minutes to update my maps and it stopped working after 5 minutes. The breakfast is very good and tasty although there's too much smoke in the dining room. The location is very good.

1 2 Next » last »