Mingtown Suzhou International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.28 Pingjiang Road, Suzhou, China

Ideally located in Ping Jiang old street, quiet, and great wooden house ! The single rooms are really comfortable for such a cheap price... If I ever go back to Suzhou, I will definitely be staying there again. However, the staff is far from being welcoming, don't expect any advice on touring Suzhou.

If location is everything, Mingtown SuZhou is it! You'll find yourself on the canal and in close proximity (walking distance) of many picturesque streets and imperial gardens. Plus, their rooms are beautiful (albeit small) and the cafe quite good. The restoration of the buildings was done with love and care. Nearby restaurants are plentiful. Having stayed in many hostels in China, I'd say that this is one of the most beautiful and perfectly situated.

Nice hostel situated in a pleasant area, away from the main streets but not too far. Masses of tourists, both Chinese and foreign still pass by though. Comfortable rooms. Toilet and showers are outside the rooms and beleaguered by hordes of mosquitoes. Quick showers or even quicker reflexes are recommended. All in all a good value for one's money.

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Austria

When we arrived, we were told that our booking had been canceled because we were 15 minutes late. It turned out that our room was actually available, but anyone working in hospitality must understand the importance of making guest feel welcome. Instead the receptionist could have said 'Okay let me check thats still okay'. I felt that the bad start created a negative atmosphere between us and the staff. Facility wise, one of the biggest let downs was the lack of clothes washing facilities.

Room was very nice and location was really excellent but we didn't meet any new people really, and the staff seemed quite irritated that they had to deal with people. Regardleas I still think it's worth staying here and I would recommend it.

When staying in Suzhou I will always choose to stay at Mingtown. Great location, Ping Jiang Lu, old st. Close proximity to various activities. Clean, safe and unique.

a really lovely hostel located at a nicer part of pingjiang road. you won't regret coming here to stay!

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

Been to this hostel several times and it keeps getting better :) The whole place is more like a boutique hotel than a hostel, with lovingly restored ancient buildings, very comfortable rooms with a traditional character, and an absolute steal at only 200rmb per night. Pingjiang street is the most picturesque street in the old town. Recently they have also started selling breakfasts and coffee, and extended their beer selection. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Upon our arrival at Mingtown Hostel, the staff informed us that our beds had been given away due to our late arrival (missed train = a few hours late). When I asked why I hadn't been contacted they said I gave them the wrong phone number. They also had my email but refused to comment when I asked why I wasn't contacted in this way. I've heard from other travelers since that this hostel has a history of doing the same thing to others and placing the blame on the customer. Atrocious service.

• 16th Jun 2014

We liked this place very much. Great location at the pedestrian street next to the canal, cheap and good little restaurants around, everything you need in a walking distance. Very beautiful and clean hostel, very affordable private rooms. No wifi in the room, and staff didn't speak very well English.

The room for 2 is pretty small. Something wrong with the air-con so that there are water coming out of it. Excellent location.

The location was awesome!!!!!!

Mingtown hostel is situated in a beautiful old building in the heart of the old city. The rooms capture that traditional feel perfectly with old style beds in the double rooms, but at the same time are well equipped and comfortable. The price is fantastic for the quality. Its a tranquil place and as such a communal atmosphere is not what this place is about. It also could do with making more of its beautiful lobby area which is simply just a chill out place - maybe coffee?

staff are particularly helpful and friendly. we are really grateful for the lady at the reception who basically planned out our two day trip in suzhou, we enjoyed the chinese opera on sunday very much, would have missed it if it wasn't you!

The location is incredible, but overall I did not enjoy my stay at Mingtown. None of the staff spoke sufficient English to even answer basic questions, the beds were like rocks, the walls were paper thin, the toilet leaked all over the bathroom floor (and never flushed, ugh), and there was no hot water even in the designated times. Mingtown was a huge disappointment.

Nice!!!!!!!Perfect location

The hostel is very nicely located. However, the rooms are not clean. We have change room after one night. The first one smelled like sewage and the wall was dirty with trash. The second one was the same, but at least we could open the window... We also booked a room with double bed, one week ahead of time, but we were informed on arrival that there were no such room available and we had to share a bed made for one person (thankfully wider than a normal bed for one person). No one t