Mountain View Backpackers Reviews

7 Russell Street, Wanaka, New Zealand

Great place - lovely room and nice communal areas, in a good location.

Good hostel. Nothing too special but would stay there again. Small shower cabinets a bit dodgy

If you're allergic to cats avoid this hostel. Though the cat is not theirs and they may deny it's existence the neighbor's cat comes in and out of the property. At no point does the hostel staff try to stop this or get the cat off the property. In other words, there is cat dander all over the furniture and the floor. I had two members of my group who were allergic and had serious problems with this. They brought it up to the staff who did nothing and acted as if it wasn't a problem.

• 9th Apr 2015

i'm sorry my neighbor's cat made your stay with us unsatisfactory,we strive to make each and every one of our guests stay as comfortable as possible.We are continually getting the cat out of the hostel but the doors are continually opened and he gets back in.I have now asked my neighbor to keep her cat indoors at her home from now on.

Great location, value for money

The common area, including The kitchen, is too small for all the people in the hostel. The backyard is big but no one stays there on The cold weather. 10am they lock kitchen and bathrooms for cleaning. Worst timing ever. Seems to me The management only worries about getting money: if you need to stay longer after checkout to wait for your bus they will charge you 10 dollars. And if you pay cash (The best option for them) they round up The cents. Always up, never down! Just not a good atmosphere.

Thank you for your feed back but you need to be accurate,the kitchen area actually closes at 10.30,that gives the people that leaving plenty of time go eat as check out is 10am and it's ALWAYS the customers choice on the method of payment..

Nice and cosy little Hostel. Friendly and helpful staff! I really enjoyed my stay!

Kitchen is closed every day at 10am for an hour, which means you have to be up before 9:30 if you want to cook and eat a decent breakfast. The bathroom is sometimes closed for cleaning at the same time. I understand the need to clean, and I appreciate cleanliness, but it's an unusual time to clean. The cleaning lady told us to "wake up earlier", which I should probably do anyway, but geez, I'm on holiday. Otherwise, relatively nice. I appreciated that the staff was on the premises late.

Thanks for the feedback,a few corrections,we actually close the kitchen,lounge area at 10.30 every day,never at 10 o'clock,same with the bathrooms,

Local suggestions or discounts for restaurants would be nice, or to the theatre. And the lack of free unlimited wifi for travelers is always pretty inconvenient. Otherwise, the place was great!

A friendly place with a lovely garden.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Lovely location with nice view of mountains and near lake. Close to shops and restaurants.

Overall, great stay. The place had a friendly feel and was clean and well-kept. Would definitely stay again. A couple of minor issues included security at night. We were not told how the hostel lock-up worked at night and so it made things a bit tricky with our group as we only had one key. Would be useful to have a sign on the door telling you how to get in as we had to bang on the door until another guest told us to use the side gate. Would also be good to have wifi included in the price.

• 11th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Quiet, small hostel only walking distance from lake, great garden/lounge, good for coming down. Only thing is staff terse and maybe stressed, clumsy with counting money and reservation days, resulting in me coarsely being awakened on my first morning accused to not having paid when I'd reserved for more nights, no checking or benefit of the doubt beforehand, quite unprofessional. Everything else OK.

On the whole a pretty good hostel, good facilities and a great view of my cook. But the main gripe is that there are plenty of jobs for cooking but only approx 4 saucepans!?

• 11th Dec 2014

Are you sure your'e reviewing the correct hostel,we are no where near Mt Cook and we have least 20 saucepans. Steve Mountain View Backpackers,Wanaka

Sorry for not giving back the key. I noticed it when I was already in the bus and out of town. I took care of it all the time but didn't remember removing it from my bag. But due to I definitely come back to Wanaka, I will leave the key then ;)

• 4th Dec 2014

The views were absolutely amazing from the windows, and the rooms were decently clean. The kitchen was a little bit spartan with its utensils, so come prepared.

Nice staff! Helpful! Clean, safe and well located. Just the internet is expansive, but it's NZ sickness to have expansive internet in hostels! I would stay there again! We were a couple and the room was pretty nice. Warm! It was a freezing day! Not a lot of toilets tough!

The Rooms are very nice and clean. The common area is a little bit small but nice. The bathroom is very small, the only have 2 showers and two toilets for everybody. The manager is a very friendly and gives good advice for walks and routes.

Great little backpackers in the middle of hokitiki! 5 minutes to the beach where you can watch an amazing sunset! Facilities excellent and john the owner is a speed demon with the morning routine! Would definitely go back and recommend

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Wales

Great vibe, great location close to petrol, alcohol, food. Awesome people there. Definitely stay there again

• 7th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Beautiful hostel that truly feels like home. It's a small hostel with a big garden to relax. Not a party hostel but very clean and with nice rooms and common areas. Definitely recommend it.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5