Mountain View Backpackers Reviews

7 Russell Street, Wanaka, New Zealand

It was a bit cramped. Also the left hand sink in the main kitchen seems to constantly be leaving water into the countertop somehow.

Great hostel, really clean and great atmosphere! Wifi is only 200mb per day and doesnt work in the room. Great location

Stayed here with my mum and the owner really accommodated us; gave us a nice room out of the way. There were backpackers there too so still a backpackers vibe just a little more chilled. The room was super clean and smelt like clean linen! Big kitchen and sofa area and plenty of grass outside to sit on! Lovely hostel and really well run.

Really nice outdoor area

• 2nd Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

We found the showers and toilets dirty most days with dozens of dead mosquitos around the sink areas. Also there is no where to put clothing whilst in the showers. The wall are so thin we could hear everything from the longe area although we were at the other end of the building. On a plus side the guy who runs the place is very kind and helpful.

• 3rd Dec 2015

I spent three days in this hostel and I would have liked to stay more. Great atmosphere, wonderful view, loved the spacious backyard, large kitchen also and without doubt, the best, is the fireplace in the living room and the friendly atmosphere in this place. If you go to Wanaka, absolutely I recommend it.

Overall, it is a pretty standard hostel. It has all the basic essentials, but it lacks some key features and atmosphere like the better hostels. It is a good place to stay if you have your own car. I found some of the travelers were not as friendly, which is a letdown if you are traveling solo. Being a taller person, I also scraped my back pretty good on the metal bed frame (lower bunk) because there isn't enough clearance to the bunk above when getting up in the AM!

Stayed in a double room. Lovely staff, beautiful warm bed and room. Great location. Clean bathroom, drying room for ski gear. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Decent place to stay in wanaka. Only negative was thr shower/ bathroom was being repaired during our stay.

Great place - lovely room and nice communal areas, in a good location.

Good hostel. Nothing too special but would stay there again. Small shower cabinets a bit dodgy

If you're allergic to cats avoid this hostel. Though the cat is not theirs and they may deny it's existence the neighbor's cat comes in and out of the property. At no point does the hostel staff try to stop this or get the cat off the property. In other words, there is cat dander all over the furniture and the floor. I had two members of my group who were allergic and had serious problems with this. They brought it up to the staff who did nothing and acted as if it wasn't a problem.

• 9th Apr 2015

i'm sorry my neighbor's cat made your stay with us unsatisfactory,we strive to make each and every one of our guests stay as comfortable as possible.We are continually getting the cat out of the hostel but the doors are continually opened and he gets back in.I have now asked my neighbor to keep her cat indoors at her home from now on.

Great location, value for money

The common area, including The kitchen, is too small for all the people in the hostel. The backyard is big but no one stays there on The cold weather. 10am they lock kitchen and bathrooms for cleaning. Worst timing ever. Seems to me The management only worries about getting money: if you need to stay longer after checkout to wait for your bus they will charge you 10 dollars. And if you pay cash (The best option for them) they round up The cents. Always up, never down! Just not a good atmosphere.

Thank you for your feed back but you need to be accurate,the kitchen area actually closes at 10.30,that gives the people that leaving plenty of time go eat as check out is 10am and it's ALWAYS the customers choice on the method of payment..

Nice and cosy little Hostel. Friendly and helpful staff! I really enjoyed my stay!

Kitchen is closed every day at 10am for an hour, which means you have to be up before 9:30 if you want to cook and eat a decent breakfast. The bathroom is sometimes closed for cleaning at the same time. I understand the need to clean, and I appreciate cleanliness, but it's an unusual time to clean. The cleaning lady told us to "wake up earlier", which I should probably do anyway, but geez, I'm on holiday. Otherwise, relatively nice. I appreciated that the staff was on the premises late.

Thanks for the feedback,a few corrections,we actually close the kitchen,lounge area at 10.30 every day,never at 10 o'clock,same with the bathrooms,

Local suggestions or discounts for restaurants would be nice, or to the theatre. And the lack of free unlimited wifi for travelers is always pretty inconvenient. Otherwise, the place was great!

A friendly place with a lovely garden.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Lovely location with nice view of mountains and near lake. Close to shops and restaurants.

Overall, great stay. The place had a friendly feel and was clean and well-kept. Would definitely stay again. A couple of minor issues included security at night. We were not told how the hostel lock-up worked at night and so it made things a bit tricky with our group as we only had one key. Would be useful to have a sign on the door telling you how to get in as we had to bang on the door until another guest told us to use the side gate. Would also be good to have wifi included in the price.

• 11th Jan 2015