Muffin Hostel Reviews

Hegigasse 9, Salzburg, Austria

It's not a hostel but rather a student dormitory that is used as hostel. We were woken at 4am by loud conversations and laughter on the hall-ways and the floor below. The walls clearly offer little noise protection. My wife and I booked 1 night in a twin room and were charged 112 Euros, which is hopelessly overprized considering that its just a small room in a noisy environment, does not include breakfast and there is no internet access in the room. Staff was friendly though and rooms were clean

• 1st Aug 2015

They don't take cards for payment. Annoying!  The wifi internet is a joke. You can only gain access in the lobby but as soon as 3 or more people connect it stops.  You have to fork out extra money for silly little fees and still have to carry your linen to the lobby. They have a breakfast of cereal and bread and basic food, but it isn't free! €5.70 for cereal... Best to go into town and get a better meal!  The female receptionist with short brown curly hair is the rudest lady at the hostel!

• 30th Jul 2015

Unfortunately the most expensive hostel I have stayed at (average €40/ night for 4 bed dorm), which may be due to a short supply of hostels in Salzburg and my booking only a few days before. The facilities were clean and safe, but very basic and I found the bed quite uncomfortable, which I have not had a problem with elsewhere. Staff were helpful, great showers although limited number of showers for number of guests. Wifi only (just) works in lobby. Beautiful surroundings, bus to city centre.

Location wasn't great as so far from the centre, staff were not too friendly and a very overpriced and dated hostel. Not a great stay and wouldn't go back

Everything about our stay was wonderful! In walking distance to downtown and many scenic walking areas. The staff was so helpful and accommodating for our three nights there. They answered all our questions and helped us book, rebook, and facilitate our stay with our tentative travel plans for the time there. The one big down side is their wifi sucks!!! Only in the lobby area is gets bogged down during peak hours since everyone is on the same limited network. No wifi in rooms.

• 26th Jul 2015

Great location with mountain views. The staff were fantastic, especially Ula Sonia and Iga!!! Thank you so much!

Pretty average. Was able to book about a week in advance. Room was clean and modern, bathroom was clean. Location not ideal but I knew that going in, plus there's a trolleybus stop near by. They sell Salzburg cards, which anyone staying there for at least one full day must absolutely invest in. It pays itself off after two excursions. I would recommend muffin

This place is pretty meh. It wasn't terrible, but not the best I've stayed. Most of the staff didn't go out of their way to be helpful, (one was very nice but I forgot her name). The rooms are clean but a bit small and stuffy - however it was really hot when I was there. There wasn't a great vibe at the hostel everyone seemed to keep to themselves or their groups. Location was a bit far out of town but a nice walk through the forest. The wifi only works in reception area and not in the rooms.

The room was very nice and they often had free muffins in the lobby, unfortunately the wifi only worked in the lobby and there were no comfortable lounge places to use it. Also it was quite a walk from the city and difficult to find, though once you got the road once it was very easy to come back to.

The muffin was quite away from the main station, our train got in at half 10 so we didn't want to do the 40 minute walk through the forest. The staff were helpful and the walk the next day wasn't too bad into the main town. Recommend this for one night but not for longer

Staff was nice and helpful. WiFi not working basically at all. Imho breakfast was too expensive, costing almost 6€ Check out backyard it's nice! Special thanks to staff members Iga and Sonia.

Pros - Clean. Downstairs bar. Laundry service. Cons - 20 minutes by bus to the city centre. Heavily understaffed. WiFi only works in the common area and isn't very reliable.

Nice hostel. Staff was kind. Laundry however was not available on the day I was there, made things difficult for me. And one issue that is probably out of the hostels control as it is a student dorm was that the lights are on very short motion timers. Had to shower in the dark when the lights automatically turned off!

Nice, clean hostel. You're not in the urban part of Salzburg, but the location makes for some great walks in the countryside and forest. I strongly recommend climbing up to Salzburg's casle from the back pathway through the woods.

• 17th Jul 2015

- not welcoming at all - clean bathrooms, but disgusting later, check them more often!! - no german and bad english - another email to confirm, even if i paid a deposit on-line?? - no internet in the room!! -worst experience ever

It will be better if could use Wi-Fi in the room.

Overall a decent and cheap hostel. It was a minor walk into the city center, nothing bad though. Not too much close by except for a delicious Thai food stand. Facilities were large and nice. Wifi was god-awful, had to go downstairs to get the bar wifi where it was disgusting from the prior night. I don't like the single key system, as I could have said I was from any room and then just waltzed in and took what I wanted. There were no checks to see if you were actually from that room.

nice kindly ppl especially sonia iga and ula i dont think its in the downtown but location is really good to walk. can have nice view. bar in the hostel. great dj sonia lol

• 14th Jul 2015
  • South Korea

Thanks for the review, hope to see you again! :)

I was continually brushed off as I tried to pay and dislike the policy of keeping guests' passports. Requiring cash is also quite inconvenient. That said, facilities were spotless.

• 13th Jul 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your review, we will definitely take it into account. We are really sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay - the hostel is open only in summer, this year we started on 13.07 and due to this fact, we are still working on improving our service. We do hope that you enjoyed the beauty of Salzburg anyway!