Pause Reviews

1 Pasero Street, Caye Caulker, Belize

Absolutely excellent stay at PAUSE, the owner Maddy is a lovely person, very approachable, friendly and helpful and is very knowledgable of the island, being a long term resident. I stayed in the mixed dorm during my stay which was well equipped with two large, rotating fans, ample power socks and a couple of lockers for storage of valuables. The hostel itself has a wonderful private beach w/kayaks, which is great because beaches are very few and far between on this islands. Highly recommend.

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

I really loved my stay at PAUSE...it was probably the best place I've stayed in a month in Central America. The location is perfect – very quiet and literally backing onto the Ocean. the island is tiny, so it's near everything you need. Madi the owner was very welcoming and provided kyaks for free, which are perfect. the room and bathroom are basic but clean and comfortable. i also walked a puppy almost every day... oh, you definitely need to like dogs & cats to stay here! highly recommend.

You will love this hostel! Especially the thir own beach and free kayaks

The smell of cats wee is unbearable, couldn't wait to leave. Bed bugs also. Not the greatest of stays. Luckily caye caulker is a fantastic island

Sadly this gentleman refused to read our profile which is clear before he booked probably just went for the cheap price therefore, since he does not like animals/cats the first smell that comes to his nose is going to be blamed on the cats. For every ones' info. that smell was reported to authorities a while back which is coming from our neighbors sewer tank that broke & it has not been fixed yet. In addition, sand flies are all over the island & not just here which is what was biting him.

Its a smaller and quiet Hostel in the side streets. Lots of tranquility. The staff lives on the property and is very nice and friendly. They keep it very clean, yet you cannot avoid the smell of animal poop. Lots of cats and dogs. No breakfast. Direct access to the ocean with three beach chairs which is also the only common area outside of the room to sit. I don't think there are any cooking facilities. Yet definitely among the cheap hostels on the island.

Sadly this person did not read our profile which is clear that the animal sanctuary with a few cats & 4 dogs is located on the same grounds so you will find animals here, she booked for the cheap price & since she does not like animals/cats the first smell that comes to her nose is going to be blamed on the cats. For every ones' info. that smell was reported to authorities a while back which is coming from our neighbors sewer tank that broke & it has not been fixed yet.

This is a cat sanctuary with a couple beds, not a hostel with lots of cats roaming around. I commend Madi for her desire to help the stray cats of caye caulker, but she has to much on her plate with the cats and doesn't have time to run a hostel. It's a great opportunity for volunteering and having a bed to sleep in while you help the cats, but not the best place to pay money to stay at. Madi is cats over guests, if cats need food or we need gas for the stove, the cats will get fed before we do.

We welcome every ones comments but we are afraid that you did not read our profile which states clearly what we do here, its a cat sanctuary this is what we state & the funding from our accommodations goes to the care of the animals & we treat everyone here humans & animals with dignity & respect & no one can say anything other than that. If you made a mistake on choosing where to stay because you were only looking at the dollar sign & not reading please do not blame us for your decision.

If you can avoid the smell from the cat wee on the toilets and the outdoor sink area, Pause is an excellent choice. Lovely terrace that goes out into the water w/ wonderful sunsets. Nice private 'beach'. Maddy (the host) is amazingly helpful. I had 6 nights there and enjoyed my stay.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Denmark

Thanks for your review, we glad you loved the place but for every ones' info. that smell was reported to authorities a while back which is coming from our neighbors sewer tank that broke & it has not been fixed yet, and who lives across the street a few feet away from where our toilet & wash basin is located unfortunately.

Maddie is absolutely helpful and wonderful. It's a great place to stay and it was great knowing that the funds were going to the animals.

• 23rd Mar 2014

I had a great stay at Pause. It is a great alternative to the party hostels on the caye if you still want to be in a hostel but in a calm environment. Maddie the owner is impressive; she works a lot for her sanctuary. I would definitely return there.

This hostel is a work in progress but still a great place to stay. It is peaceful and quite. They have their own private docks and free kayaks. There's a place around the corner that you can kayak to find 3ft long fish called tarpans. It is an animal sanctuary but the animals are tamed. Most of them stay in their cages. The place is huge and animals are really friendly. The owner has great ideas to add a kitchen and new dorm rooms. All the money goes towards the animals.

• 6th Mar 2014

An outstanding value for all levels of interest. Bill Robinson, NSPE

• 4th Feb 2014

Had deep reservations about staying here (cat sanctuary?!) but was pleasantly surprised. Madi (the owner) is the sweetest lady - super kind and very helpful. A bit away from the party areas - much more tranquil than the rest of the Caye. The volunteers that help run the place are just as kind and helpful - great bunch of people. Some of the facilities need a bit of repair but looks like they are gearing up to do just that. Definitely a one of a kind experience - glad I stayed here!

Lovely people, very good price. No facilities for making tea or food. Outside space was ok but no inside areas for chilling. It was great being able to use the kayaks.

• 10th Jan 2014

Great time kayaking at sunset

• 5th Jan 2014

The Pause is clean, close to the sea, with wonderful facilities, a beautiful double floor deck, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is very kind and friendly. The hostel is located in a quite zone. I would definitely come back :-)

• 28th Dec 2013

When I arrived, no one came out to open. I standed there for quite some time in the RAIN until I had to find somewhere else to go find shelter. NExt morning I received an email saying that they had charged me 100% as a No show. I wrote them back that I was there last night, and all they had to say was: "Well it has never happened before, we are sorry"

It states clearly on our policy that we are open until 6 p.m. However we usually wait longer for customers as in the case of this customer, we waited until 7 p.m. in the rain and can no longer wait at the gate in the rain. If this customer did arrive as they are stating. they should have walked into the premises as all customers do this is why we mentioned that this has never happened before they should not just say they were there when they never came in to talk to us.

Very nice People running that place, the sunsets at the boat place are fantastic, as well as the Mornings with a lot of peacfull moments. I just can recommend that place.

• 6th Dec 2013

The cabin where we stayed had mould and holes. There is one shower, the toilet is in the same room. There was no lock on the door of our cabin, they say no one comes on the property It had little bugs on the bed the first night. There was no stairs to get to the top bunck at first, so they made improvised one that moved while I was on it. The owner wasn't there, only volunteers. There is no kitchen. We askes to stay only one night, we couldn't unless we payed, money goes to the cats not hostel.

Pause was a good, cheap stay, and the owner is really nice and helpful. We did have a problem with flees in the bed because of all the cats though, but other than that it was OK. It's on the other side of the island, but since everything is so close it's not a problem.

There are NO flees in our rooms as animals live in separate living quarters & NOT allowed in any of the accommodations. In addition, animals are treated on a monthly basis for flees & other parasites. We value the reviews of all our customers because this is how we can improve our accommodations however we must state that many travelers have never seen or know the difference between a sand fly and flees as is the case with this customer and sand flies are common throughout the island.

Better mosquto net on room

• 25th Oct 2013