Puerta Vieja Hostel Reviews

Calle Diego de Mazariegos 23, Barrio de La Merced, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

I had doubts about staying in a 12-person dorm but it was comfortable, clean, quiet and cozy! Best beds at any hostel! I also met wonderful people in my room, on tours and hanging by the fire. The bar/ bonfire every night is fantastic and feels like home. There are also some fun dinners and meals -- breakfast is amazing. The location is outstanding as well, in the center of everything.

I travled my share of time. This was definitly the best hostel i ever got to stay. Staff- amazing. Socail life- amazing. And the breakfest... Wow!!!!!

One of the nicest hostels I've ever been to. Absolutely gorgeous facility just a few blocks from the zocalo. Yummy breakfast included that's not just juice

I highly recommend this hostel! A friend and I stayed in a private room which was better than even a hotel room in the area (which was dirty, dark and had limited hot water). We did a couple of the excursions through the hostel as well, which I would recommend but just know that they don't feel the safest as you're doing them. We did the horse ride to San Juan Chamula and the palenque/Misol-ha/agua azul. The staff put on dinners, free drink nights, live music, etc. I had a great time!

• 25th Jul 2014

Definitely one of the best hostels that I've been to! Huge indoors and outdoors common areas, quiet dorms with nice beds and big lockers that perfectly fits big backpacks. Free night drinks on the patio some days a week and barbecue. Delicious homemade breakfast.Very friendly staff! Thank you Flor, Fernando and all the staff for the amazing days in San Cristóbal at Puerta Vieja.

amazing hostel with great vibes and free cocktails! the staff are excellent, the rooms are comfortable and the prices are great. good atmosphere and in a great location

This place is just about the best hostel ever. Indoor or outdoor living areas, lots of space, parties on the patio with free drinks twice a week or more and lovely quiet rooms. The staff were true hosts and became good friends over delicious dinners and fresh cooked breakfasts. You will love San Cristobal all the more for staying at Puerta Vieja!

It is a great place for young people, I am 47 and I do not enjoy the noise after 10:00 p.m. I loved the place, too bad about the noise, one time there was somebody vomiting around 3 a.m. and another time at 4 a.m. 3 white ladies were too drunk speaking really loud infront of my bedroom. The staff were great and the only thing; Maybe they can make stronger coffee. It was too weak. My daughter wants to stay there again!!!! I will do it too, but with Night quill.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Fantastic !! The hostal is in the perfect location, the atmosphere is friendly and social and the staff are extremely helpful!! Will definitely go back !

• 26th Jun 2014

Everything is very pretty, excellent location, and very nice people. The breakfast is included and we didn't expect such a great one, is really good. Sorry but the only thing I didn't like was that the sheets wasn't really clean.

• 14th Jun 2014

Best place to stay in San Cristobal, Chiapas, México! Love it

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

Excellent hostel. Really nails the "chill when you want it to be chill, party when you want it to be party" vibe. Very social and easy to make friends as a solo traveler. Free mojitos on weekends, live music, bbq's fun. My only critique is the large army of friendly foreign volunteers working the reception isn't as knowledgable as a long term local employee would be. One volunteer was stumped when I asked her "what is there to do in San Cristobal?". Nigel is a legend, amazing cook and musician!

Amazing breakfast, comfy and clean rooms and bathrooms. Great location without being too noisey. Wish we'd stayed longer, the activities (mojito night

Location- The location couldn't be better. It's just three block away from centro and it's at a walking distance from everywhere but it is also located in a block that is just quiet. It's perfect. Staff- Ah, the staff is the best about Puerta Vieja. You've got locals and foreigners working together to make your experience a great one. The people here, all of them, were amazing. Atmosphere- I've been to many hostels before, this one is quite special. The facilities are very as well.

• 5th May 2014
  • Mexico

Has the makings to be a great hostel but lacks social atmosphere, especially is Spanish is not your native language.

• 20th Apr 2014

I had a great time in La Puerta Vieja loved the terrace and patio!!!

• 29th Mar 2014
  • Mexico

One the best breakfasts I have ever had in a hostel. Great location would stay again.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Breakfast is amazing and the hammocks in the back yard are great for an afternoon siesta. They usually have a fire going each night in the backyard also that you can sit around, enjoy a few drinks from the bar and socialise. The only drawbacks are the lack of laundry facilities (but there's plenty just around the corner) and no common computers to use (although there is good WiFI).

View all San Cristobal de las Casas Hostels