Puerta Vieja Hostel Reviews

Calle Diego de Mazariegos 23, Barrio de La Merced, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

My friends and I loved it here... Would have loved to stay longer. Great atmosphere and such friendly staff. Would recommend for sure.

Perfect location for making friends and meeting new people. Friendly and very nice staff, chillout places, some entertainment, and being located only a few steps from the city centre. People who would like to recover from a long trip might consider another location though as sometimes their sleep may be interrupted by chatting or smoking people in some clairaudient rooms.

Great breakfast! The cook was fabulous!

• 28th Jul 2015

Amazing place, feels like home after 1 day with superb posh breakfast included, also have some delicious food for great price most evenings. Very social people so even as a solo traveller felt like a family instantly. It has a bar and a great garden with bonfire becasue its chilly in the mountains. I would definitely go back!!!!

We (29,f) stayed in a "double room" that turned out to be a room with a queensized bed and 4 bunkbeds. The bathroom was shared. During this stay we realized that we're in the beginning of our 20ies anymore and that our expectations are higher than they used to be. The hostel was dirty! Bathrooms and showers were cleaned once a day which is far from enough taken the high number of people using it (in total 60-90 ppl). If you don't care about cleanliness it's a nice place to meet young travellers.

Puerto Viejo is a nice place to stay. Good breakfast, great cooks, beds are comfortable, everybody has his personal locker. They have a nice garden and bar to relax, atmosphere is ideal to meet new peoe. And there's the cutest dog you've ever seen.

Perfect atmosphere, the ideal hostel!

One of the best hostels I've stayed in Mexico. The stuff is super sweet, make sure you go out with them! Thanks guys!

Great hostel with great atmosphear and location. Just a few blocks from the main square and the main street. The staff is very helpfull and everything was nice and clean.

Hands down the best Hostel I have been in so far. The room was clean, the facilities were new, the bed was comfortable. The hostel itself is gorgeous. Huge colonial style common areas and a beautiful garden (fireplace, hammocks, etc.). And even if there is a bar, you can bring your own drinks. And finally, it's very easy to meet and talk to new people.

Excelent staff attention, very kindly specially Daniel and Alex, besides Vincent from France, they were really very nice, I like too much the relation ship with all people, the foreign people are very nice, we learned a tot from different cultures, the hostal is very good located no one better, the price crazy very cheaper, clean, good food, good drinks, all very happy, we were recommended from a Rotary daughter from Brasil. thank you so much never been in a hostal place really like it.

• 30th May 2015
  • Mexico
  • Couple, 41+

Best hostel I've been to! Hostel is in a beautiful spacious building, The fantastic staff gave the hostel a great vibe, perfect central location, great hangout areas to chill and socialise, communal breakfast and dinners make it easy to meet people, amazing food cooked by the best chef (the included breakfast was unreal), i met great people and if I could I would have easily stayed here for weeks! I also celebrated my birthday here and they made it very memorable :)

Awesome hostel. Great atmosphere. I'm traveling on my own and I met so many people here. Breakfast is great - a different sweet or savory option to pick each morning. There is a bar but you can drink your own alcohol. The chef is amazing, his meals were some of the best dinners I have had. Wildfire pizza and roast are a must have.

Amazing hostel! Great facilities (suh as big garden with hammocks, board games, pool table, TV, big kitchen...), super central location, spacious, and cool activities organised every night of the week. Staff are all volunteers so some are really nice, others less so. Planned to stay here for 2 nights and se stayed for 6 in the end coz we loved it so much.

My stay at Puerta Vieja was relaxing and fun. Their facilities were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful in finding tours and places to visit around the city. I had a great time hanging out there at night, where they served great dinners and free drinks twice weekly. It was a fantastic environment to meet people from all around the world and share our experiences. Shout-outs to Omar, Nigel and the volunteers!

• 21st Apr 2015

The hostel was perfect!! Nice staff, nice location, confortable beds and amaaaazing breakfest.

This place was great! Staff was very helpful and the hostel environment was even better. This is a place that I would come back to just because of the environment. Wifi connection was very good and the location was good as well. The free breakfast was delicious. I stayed in a private dorm and the facility was clean and comfortable.

I loved my time at this hostel! Everyone was really relaxed and super friendly. The location couldn't have been better- a short walk to the main pedestrian streets. And just to make the hostel even better- really nice, hot showers and great wifi- a little perk to hostel life!

Great hotel. Beds super comfy, showers were so good - but make sure you shower when there is lots of hot water. Great lockers. Brekky was delicious too. Very convenient stay and comfortable stay.

All the hostel is great the only thing that my friends didnt like was the person in reception when we checked out. He seems like italian he shhh us and kind of laugh at us moreover he didnt speak spanish

View all San Cristobal de las Casas Hostels