Puerta Vieja Hostel Reviews

Calle Diego de Mazariegos 23, Barrio de La Merced, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

We loved this hostel! We booked 2 nights but stayed for an extra one just to laze around the hostel. Super clean, massive great beds with blankets, a locker per person with locks included, great free breakfast (omlettes, pancakes, eggs, fruit...), free cocktails at the cute bar, and we loved the chef, Nigel - he makes a proper home cooked meal for guests twice a week so we enjoyed an incredible English roast. If I'm back in San Cristobal, will definitely be back here!

Great hostel and an incredible free breakfast.

The perimises is amazing. Extremely big and spacious. All of the rooms are very well kept, the beds are comfortable and warm and the lockers are big. 24/7 hot water which is a real advantage on a town this cold. Alot of chilling spots - sofas, hammocks, a very well kept bar... The activities are truly awesome - 3 nights a week of open bar, amazing breakfast every day, joint dinners from time to time, movies.. Had the greatest time here

There was a great ambiance, everyone was so kind and always willing tl help , thefacilities were pretty clean We loved our stay there and have already recommended it

Great location, close to everything. Staff are mostly nice, although at times, hard to find someone on the front desk. They mainly sit around talking to each other, at times it seems a bit clique. Owner is lovely. Atmosphere is good, people are friendly, easy to meet others. Breakfast included, changes daily. Nice dorms, comfy beds, clean. Relaxed place. Enjoyed my stay.

Was recommended this hostel from others due to the atmosphere but when we arrived they had issues with their license so were not able to sell any alcohol which was a downer. The outdoor area was cool. 16 bed dorm nice and clean, beds comfortable. Clean bathrooms. Easy walk around San Cristobal.

Very clean hostel; great atmosphere! Definitely a recommendation!

I had doubts about staying in a 12-person dorm but it was comfortable, clean, quiet and cozy! Best beds at any hostel! I also met wonderful people in my room, on tours and hanging by the fire. The bar/ bonfire every night is fantastic and feels like home. There are also some fun dinners and meals -- breakfast is amazing. The location is outstanding as well, in the center of everything.

I travled my share of time. This was definitly the best hostel i ever got to stay. Staff- amazing. Socail life- amazing. And the breakfest... Wow!!!!!

One of the nicest hostels I've ever been to. Absolutely gorgeous facility just a few blocks from the zocalo. Yummy breakfast included that's not just juice

I highly recommend this hostel! A friend and I stayed in a private room which was better than even a hotel room in the area (which was dirty, dark and had limited hot water). We did a couple of the excursions through the hostel as well, which I would recommend but just know that they don't feel the safest as you're doing them. We did the horse ride to San Juan Chamula and the palenque/Misol-ha/agua azul. The staff put on dinners, free drink nights, live music, etc. I had a great time!

• 25th Jul 2014

Definitely one of the best hostels that I've been to! Huge indoors and outdoors common areas, quiet dorms with nice beds and big lockers that perfectly fits big backpacks. Free night drinks on the patio some days a week and barbecue. Delicious homemade breakfast.Very friendly staff! Thank you Flor, Fernando and all the staff for the amazing days in San Cristóbal at Puerta Vieja.

amazing hostel with great vibes and free cocktails! the staff are excellent, the rooms are comfortable and the prices are great. good atmosphere and in a great location

This place is just about the best hostel ever. Indoor or outdoor living areas, lots of space, parties on the patio with free drinks twice a week or more and lovely quiet rooms. The staff were true hosts and became good friends over delicious dinners and fresh cooked breakfasts. You will love San Cristobal all the more for staying at Puerta Vieja!

It is a great place for young people, I am 47 and I do not enjoy the noise after 10:00 p.m. I loved the place, too bad about the noise, one time there was somebody vomiting around 3 a.m. and another time at 4 a.m. 3 white ladies were too drunk speaking really loud infront of my bedroom. The staff were great and the only thing; Maybe they can make stronger coffee. It was too weak. My daughter wants to stay there again!!!! I will do it too, but with Night quill.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Puerta Vieja was a great hostel. Bonfire and mojitos on the first night. Good location. The breakfast is amazing! The beds are super comfy and warm. Would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 27th Jun 2014

Fantastic !! The hostal is in the perfect location, the atmosphere is friendly and social and the staff are extremely helpful!! Will definitely go back !

Everything is very pretty, excellent location, and very nice people. The breakfast is included and we didn't expect such a great one, is really good. Sorry but the only thing I didn't like was that the sheets wasn't really clean.

• 14th Jun 2014

Best place to stay in San Cristobal, Chiapas, México! Love it

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

Excellent hostel. Really nails the "chill when you want it to be chill, party when you want it to be party" vibe. Very social and easy to make friends as a solo traveler. Free mojitos on weekends, live music, bbq's fun. My only critique is the large army of friendly foreign volunteers working the reception isn't as knowledgable as a long term local employee would be. One volunteer was stumped when I asked her "what is there to do in San Cristobal?". Nigel is a legend, amazing cook and musician!

View all San Cristobal de las Casas Hostels