Qingdao Old Observatory Youth Hostel (HiHostel) Reviews

No. 21 Guangxiang Er Road, Qingdao, China

I booked this place for 4 nights, but it was so dirty I only stayed one night and then moved to a better hostel. The room smelled strongly of damp and mold. I asked to move to another room, but that room also smelled very bad. Even the bed sheets smelled like mildew. It was very unpleasant to sleep there. The floor was visibly dirty, and the bathroom was dirty and moldy. The location was a little far from the center of town, in a very run-down area, on top of a hill which is dark at night.

The view from the roof is amazing... But I'd suggest swinging by to check it out but not paying the high room fees to stay here. My room was disgustingly dirty when I checked in, nuts, trash, and fruit peelings all over the room. Asked the front desk to have it cleaned... Which resulted in an only slightly cleaner room. Food and beer are extremely over priced. They offer a 6:30-8:30 all you can drink watered down flat as hell Qingdao keg for 20rmb. Not worth it.

This is the most gorgeous hostel. I could live in the upstairs bar area and never leave the whole time.

• 13th Jul 2015

A group of 8 of us stayed at this hostel for three nights. It was the second time that we have stayed here and when we decided to come back to Qingdao there really was no other choice in our minds! Although there isn't much to do itself in the hostel itself, the rooftop bar/terrace is a perfect place to relax and have a few drinks before you head out into the city itself. Yes, it's situated on top of a hill which is a bit of a climb, but the view from the top makes it all worth it!

Really cool place to spend a couple days. Location is close to great street food. Especially seafood. Staff is interesting, and fun to chat with. Real perk is the rooftop bar area, although it closes a bit early at midnight. Check this place out

there are a lot of dags. the toile and shower-room are dirty... but there are kind staff..

The facilities are fair for the price you pay for a stay, although it would have been nice if warm water for the showers were available during the entire day and not just the early morning. I would, however, definitely recommend this hostel just for the unbeatable location and view, and the atmosphere among the fellow young (mostly Chinese) travellers, which is great!

Pros: 1. Staff was helpful and friendly. 2. The restaurant on the top floor was delicious and had a cool atmosphere. 3. Price. Cons: 1. Definitely not the best location. Near a bus stop but still up a hill and out of the way from most food or tourist options. 2. Not the cleanest. Especially the bathrooms should be cleaned at least once between the night time rush and 8am. Not unbearable but definitely not a pristine hostel.

Hi, thanks for you review. We have newly hired a cleaner clean the public area specifically, I believe that we could provide a much nicer shower room for your next visit. For the location, we are on top of a little hill, which is right in the old town center, you could actually walk to most attraction in the old town in 10 mins or so, i.e. all the old churches, old town hall and the Pier. We will provide more detailed walking routes for you next time. Cheers

Nice hostel,helpful reception,fantastic bar,I'm loving it

• 29th Apr 2015
  • China

Awesome location at top of the town on a hill. The house was quite fancy. Bathrooms in the dorm rooms were en suite. Good: Huge lockers for each bed with electronic keys. Not so ideal: no individual lights for the beds.