Qingdao Old Observatory Youth Hostel (HiHostel)

Very Good 708 Total Reviews
Very Good 708 Total Reviews

4th Aug 2017
7.4

This place has charm! Lovely gray-haired kitty greets you. Good tv programs on in the lobby (Deutsche Welle). Nice Buddhist-inspired motifs. A bit hippy. Wonderful rooftop terrace. Not super clean; more low tech than many hostels (no reading lights, plugs near beds). Actually, that is okay. Peace dude! When I checked in, they were going to give me a room without a security locker. I asked to be switched and they complied. Staff are fine.

• Finland, Female, 18-24
4th Jul 2017

Got a nice, cool dorm room for the hot and humid nights of Chinese Summer. Though it's a bit of a hike to get up to the hostel, the location is perfect for exploring the atmospheric part of old Qingdao. Central railway station is also only 20 minutes away by foot. The hostel could refurbish their rooms; everything was generally clean but one could see this place has been around for a while. Security is good, dorms have big lockers that fit my things perfectly. They have pets at the reception.

1st Apr 2017
7.7

I stayed here for two nights. Staffs were nice and the Sunset Cafe serves DELICIOUS food (the chefs are sweet)! I stayed in a 6-bed-all-female room, which had its own bathroom. The bathroom is small, so taking a shower was a bit difficult (but possible!). Everything else was wonderful for the price, but I have to say the bedding was a bit filthy. It smelled like a wet puppy...and had some stains/tears...It's location requires some walking (dark at night), but residential area so safe!

1st Apr 2017
4.6

I am limited words, so I'll cut to the chase: Cons: it's a tourist attraction so there's no security. It's not well cleaned or maintained. Old building so can hear every sound. There's one water heater for the whole building. No ventilation in the tiny dining area/bar/kitchen/lounge somvery smoky. They chain up 2 big dogs for the whole day and don't take them for walks - poo everywhere, very sad. Hostel didn't arrange any tours, staff didn't even help me to arrange some myself. Pros: no space :(

9th Mar 2017
4.3

The hostel location & style was really cool and interesting! Definitely a great place on the surface. However, we were not told that there would be animals roaming around the hostel, which is something necessary to notify customers, as some may be allergic (like me). The rooms were very dirty, and the sheets had blood stains on them, and the bathrooms did not have hot water in them. There was dangerous construction going on in rooms, we found shards of glass on our bed. The staff was unhelpful.