R.K.Hostel Reviews

642 W. Hawthorn St., San Diego, CA 92101, San Diego, USA

I would not recommend this hostel to ANYONE. We booked for 3 nights for a group of 7 and left within 24hrs, there was no security, dirty, disgusting, smelt like urine, no privacy in the bathroom, full of people on drugs breaking things and attacking us in the middle of the night. DO NOT STAY HERE. There was bugs in the room.. Let's just say I would never be reccomendimg anyone to stay at that place.

• 17th Jul 2014

This hotel is close of airport, but very far of tiristc place in LA. You need car or spend log time in public transportation. And staff are unpreparedness.

The hostel is placed near the airport so the noise is awful. But it is nothing compared to the troubles we had when came the moment to check out: they lost our key deposit because they had used it as change with other customers, they got into a fight in front of us arguing about how the hostel should be run and they didn't want us to let our luggages til our flight freely. Worst experience i've ever encounter.

• 23rd May 2014

Felt more like coming in to someones home than a hostel. Dont expect to meet travellers, these people are longtimestayers alt looking for an apartment. Everybody is superfriendly though!

This is not a hostel, it's more like a shelter. Inhabited by transients...don't stay here. For real!! Go to lucky d's or USA hostels on fifth st.

There was just 2 bathrooms, one of those on downstairs was so dirty and was enable to take a shower because was flooded with dirty water. Other bathroom full of people and no privacy at all!!! Smels bad on the reception and i found better places for the same money and less! Those beds and matress are in very bad conditions! I do not recomend this place at all! The only good thing is the location! Desapointed definetly! My word!

The staff was really nice. Also, the place is large! One of the managers was showing me around and it was just room after room and bathroom after bathroom. Theres a sufficient amount of desktop terminals as well as wifi. I'll be back.

• 11th Feb 2014

very goog place and experience! very friendly James and Blackie!!!

It was my first time experiencing a hostel and i was very pleased, everything from beginning to end was a wonderful experience VERY PLEASED

• 30th Jan 2014

Not really.....5 min from airport - its good!!! But it was noise because of plains above!!! And its really far from sightings ! Next time ill pick another place ;)

Nice staff and dorm rooms. Location is about 15 mins walk from the trolley but you feel safe to walk at night. I will suggest my friends to this hostel. Totally worth satying here.

No sheets. No blankets. Staff don't care about you. Horrible breakfast. No towel. Rooms smell. The front door was always open when we came in (once at 2am) - No security. Not recommended at all. Very expensive for what it is...

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Chile

Good hostel overall. The staff were nice and the place was clean as well. happy to stay there again...

After reading a few of the past reviews I was skeptical about staying here. However I had a great time with these guys. They really take care of you (James) who looks just like Walter White from Breaking Bad is sexy as hell and has a great sense of humor, he keeps you laughing all the time, and he is such a good cook, The taco's on Tuesday were awesome. They really watch out for you and seem to truly want you to enjoy your stay. (Godwin) is always smiling and dancing and seems to enjoy his job.

RK is awesome. We had a view on the bay! Free laundry, fully equipped kitchen, clean bathrooms and great location, you can get to downtown and to Marina in few minutes on foot. If you happen to meet James- one of the staff- you will have a lot of fun just talking to him:D

• 7th Sep 2013
  • Poland

Unfortunately, the hostel seems to be abandoned. The only guy we met in the staff, was kind of high. Singing and making poor jokes while we check in, scary. The room had a great view, but it was SO dirty, they didn't even take the garbage in the bathroom from the others customers. The guy brought our sheets on his sholders, all around his neck, couldn't believe on that. If you look for a CLEAN and NICE place to stay, THAT'S NOT THE PLACE.

To whom it may concern, I am writing to you to complain about conditions that my party found in the RK hostel on our visit on the 23rd august 2013. Quite aside from the lackluster welcome and the absolute void of information we encountered upon our arrival in your establishment, what really incensed me was the discovery of large lazy blood-filled bedbugs in the sheets of the bunk in which I had just passed an incredibly uncomfortable night. We have emailed the hostel and ha no response.

• 23rd Aug 2013

BEDBUGS!!. They are as bad as you've imagined. That's the main reason not to stay here. But there are more. The place smells like a nursing home, and it's run like--a homeless shelter? An especially filthy frat house? I don't know. It is the dirtiest single place I've ever spent a night. Would it be so hard to buy toilet paper that fits the dispensers, so you don't end up with a tricycle-tire sized roll of paper sitting on the floor, that then everyone has to handle, etc.?

• 6th Aug 2013

It was ok for one night! Very nice bedroom. The location is also good.

decent enough hostel, but staff were not particulary helpful, and although the they have tried to sort out thwarting bed bug problem, i did see a couple, although i wasn't bitten. breakfast wasn't great, just a choice between 2 different cereals, it was nice having a bathroom connected to the room. ok place to stay but there are better.

• 2nd Aug 2013