Rocinha Guest House Reviews

Estrada da Gavea, 259 rua um casa 10, Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Amazing experience-my favorite hostel I have visited. I was convinced by other reviews here on hostelworld and I'm so glad I went. It's basically a family's house and their 18 year old son Obe runs everything. He is really nice and helpful and took us out one night to party. The mom cooked a great (huge) dinner for me for my first night at a really good price. The views are amazing from the rooftop. Breakfast was all you can eat and was very good. If you want a legit Rio experience, go here!

Rochina is a nice community spirited place, amazing view, so cheap to eat out, everything you need is inside the favela, i recomend speaking portuguese as barely anyone speaks english (obe does) He is really nice and helpful, the people in the favela are really nice and friendly once you talk to them. Can look a bit intimidating at first but really no worries, me and my boyfriend talkd with many locals and was made to feel really welcome!

After being a little unsure about whether staying in Rocinha would be safe, we were so glad we made the decision to stay here. Obi is a fantastic host, who took us to local parties, and his mum is a great cook! it was so nice to have a home cooked meal after traveling for so long. The dorm room has (good) aircon and an unbeatable view! We felt welcome and safe the entire time. Rocinha guesthouse gives you a chance to see a side of life other hostels don't, and we would definitely come back!

If you're staying in the 6 bed dorm. There's a stair well that leads to the room. View is amazing of the favela. Owned by mum

What is hostelworld doing advertising this place? I'm not even going to review it's that bad.

• 27th Nov 2013

I am sorry that you hadn't a good experience in The Largest Favela from South America, favelas were built by humble and honest people that struggle to work and live in this city, 90% of people from these place are extra friendly, but if you dont respect the favela rules, you will be in trouble with the whole community, i am glad that you didnt like it because favela communities are not for anyone. next time stay in Copacabana palace where people are paid to just smile for you...Maka Basilio.

Obi Was Amazing

This hostel will show you a small peak into true rio life. Obi is a fantastic host, kind, caring and such a hard worker... The cherry on the cake for me were the views: totally breath taking! This favela is safe and welcoming: I'd recommend a stay, long or short to everyone!! Truly an experience of a life time!

• 7th Nov 2013