Sunflower International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.142 Dashiba Street, Fu Zi Miao, Nanjing, China

The staff kindly moved us when we requested a room change as the first room we were given had a terrible smell from the bathroom that filled the room. The second room was fine except for the customary rock hard bed in China.

The bathrooms are below standard concerning cleanliness and facilities.

Praise: - The breakfast was delicious and fantastic value for money, and there was a very wide food and drinks menu. - The common facilities were very comfortable and convivial. Criticism: - The metal bunk beds in the dorm rooms are very noisy - when anyone shifts their weight a little, it makes a lot of noise, which can be quite annoying. - The rooms are comfortable but a little bare. Could do with some brighter decoration, especially in the ones with less natural light.

• 15th Nov 2014

The only downside to this hostel is that it's quite difficult to find if you are not family with the area and the bathroom is a little dirty, apart from that we had a good stay :)

• 13th Nov 2014

I don't recommend this place! They don't change sheets between guests, only pillowcase, and sometimes not even that. The staff doesn't speak or understand English with one exception and I'm not picky and usually don't mind. But when I ask for a map with English they give me one in Chinese only, although I asked several times if it was in English as well. It's not a big thing but it makes it difficult knowing you can't rely on them. The only positive thing is the location, which is great.

Great showers and bathrooms, something seldom experienced in China hostels! The staff were genuinely interested in helping us, but their english was limited, and confusion often arose. All around good hostel though

I had a really good time here. Some of the other comments complain about the cleanliness but it seemed fine to me - maybe the others got a bad day? The directions from the metro are easy to follow, the staff were friendly and their English might not have been perfect but we still managed to communicate fine. Lacking in atmosphere a bit in the common room downstairs but the balcony upstairs with pool table is nice. Beds squeaky but comfortable. Overall: pretty good.

Reasonably central if all you need is a place to crash for the night. Be aware you have to haul luggage up at least one, maybe two flights of stairs. My dorm was on the third floor and the only washroom down on the second (main) floor, which was a bit annoying. Communal washroom clearly isn't cleaned often enough for the volume of use it gets--mold and general gunk was a bit beyond my (fairly generous) threshold. On the plus side, water in the shower was piping hot and the pressure was great.

Room and bed were large and spacious!! Bathroom was kind of stinky with blackmold though.. Location was excellent, really nice area of Nanjing.

There is no enough lockers in the dorm room.

All the hostel staff were very helpful, friendly and made my stay in Nanjing so enjoyable, especially Zhang Yue and Lei Ling. The hostel's atmosphere was nice and peaceful during evening hours, and one can catch a beautiful view of Nanjing's scenery from the roof! Thank you again to the hostel staff for helping me during my time in Nanjing!

Beds were really soft and the location was great for exploring Nanjing (if you don't mind taking a taxi when going to other sights - subway is bit of a walk away). It's a bit annoying to have go to a different floor for toilet and shower (rooms are upstairs, communal shower + toilet downstairs next to the cafe). It would be nice if the cleaning staff would also check that the lockers are empty, we found some fruits in a plastic bag in one of the lockers and the room smelled a bit because of it.

great city, terrible hostel

The location is terrible, in the middle an extremely touristic area of Nanjing. The staff was not particularly helpful. When we asked for a restaurant recommendation, they told us to look something up online. The inside of the hostel is pitch-black, day and night, so that we first thought the hostel was closed down. There was lots of black hair in our private bathroom, which additionally smelled of the sewers quite badly.

This hostel has a good location in the middle of old Nanjing with sights around the corner and loads of restaurants. Drawbacks are the long walk to the metro (which you need to bring you to sights such as the Zijin Mountain and the Massacre Museum), a common bathroom/toilet which, ufortunately, smells bad, and some very noicy beds. Although trying, the staff couldn't provide us with any tips.

Decent location in the city. Bathroom condition is below average. Toilet paper is not provided and must be purchased. Staff is ok, with very limited English.

I didn't enjoy the hostel's location off of a busy pedestrian road packed with local tourists and tour groups. It wasn't too noisy, but I like to avoid big tourist areas like that. Past that, it was a nice hostel. Clean, good common area, but no breakfast available.

it was quite difficult to fund at night, but the place i like a lot, and people there are so warm

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Russia

The hostel is centrally located and staff is very friendly. The entrance is a bit dark, as well the common room, but otherwise we felt very safe and enjoyed our stay there.

The hostel staff was very friendly, although some of them were more fluent in English than others. The rooms were fine although the mattress was a bit hard. It is a bit incovenient that you have to go through the common room/reception area to get to the bath- and washrooms. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the hostel.

• 22nd Jul 2014