The Hippo Backpackers Reviews

14 Glen Street, Richmond Hill, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

The backpackers was rather empty when we were there so can't comment on the atmosphere. Our private room was very nice with a shower and bath although very hot. Lovely swimming pool in the garden. Car parked inside the gates so no security worries. Several nice bars and restaurants nearby.

i felt like in my own home! confortable room, nice swimming pool, nice staff. is just a bit far from the beach.

No wi fi or hot water as the shower tap was shredded. Sleep only at a reasonable price but not a place to spend any waking time.

Great location right by all the Stanley st restaurants, however this hostel is in need of an update. It looks worn out and tired and like its best days are behind it. There's not really any atmosphere to speak of, but a fine place to sleep.

Little be far the beachs and dificult for tourist, but with a car is easy.

There needs to be more of an atmosphere created within the place because there is not much around the area. The pool was dirty and could do with a clean.

I loved my stay at the hippo backpackers, since the staff was super super friendly and i had one of the cleanest rooms ever so far! But also the area around was beautiful. I really enjoyed the restaurants which are about 2 minutes walk from the backpackers, and PE in general was great! On top of that they also have a swimming pool, and once the weather is not good enough to go swimming, they also have DSTV!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

• 1st Dec 2012

Well we booked a double room, arrived and it was a twin. The room was in no way private we had to go through a 6 bed dorm to get to it! No plug sockets in the room and to add insult to injury a lamp that we couldn't plug in by the bed side! The toilet and shower constantly stank of wee, and we had ants crawling on our bed. Also the dogs were lovely but they had fleas! Fortunately the kitchen area was very clean although only offered two pans for all guests staying. I would not recommend.

Thanks for a lovely stay Great location and service Addo Schotia full day safari is amazing and great value for money

• 19th Sep 2012
  • Austria

We had a double room, but was the money not worth it!! The bathroom is ensuite but you can better say that it is in your toilet is in the room. Everything is soo old and can use some renovation. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 24th Jun 2012

A nice hostel with lovely staff.

Looks like this hostel is over its prime time. A bit run down all over. Very few people that stayed for more then 1 night, and often just because the Baz bus had its first and last stop there for the day. The pool was nice though.

The garden withe the swimming pool is really cool and refreashing, but the room was a mess.

Is it possible to define what you mean by a mess please? We take cleanliness very serious and I would like to address this matter. I do realise that you stayed in a dorm> is it possible that the room was a mess because of other guests sharing the space?

It was a boring stay and you can`t walk to the city centre, because it is so far away. You need a car! There were no other guests! The small bar outside was never busy!

The city centre is easily accessible by foot, but the main beachfront area, where there is also not holiday activity this time of the year due to schools starting and people going back to work is a drive away- R40 by cab.Sorry we did not fulfil the fun element .

Unfortunalty the room wasn't ready when we arrived late afternoon and we found we were sharing the place with a rugby team who took over. Not alot of character to the place and not alot to do.

I really just stayed there for a bed in route but it was very clean and they had free breakfast%2C I would for sure stay there again next time I%27m in PE.

Cozy place with swimming pool and pool table. Whenever you go out from your room, the dog will be there to greet you :)

nice hostel a little bit far from the main boardwalk but fine if you have a car. good value for money

Little ways out but another of those SA hostels were the staff are sensational. Very clean.

Hosting is great, I would return we have received a NEW HOSPITAL TREATMENT AND SENSACIONAL.TODO IS PERFECT, THIS SITE LOCATED IN A QUIET, AND SECURITY If you like DOGS HAVE A BOXER IS GREAT, AND IS CALLED TYSON NOT BECAUSE I METER IN THE CASE IS NOT ME would take him. Undoubtedly, you will return. Thanks for FEEL SO GOOD.

View all Port Elizabeth Hostels