The Hippo Backpackers Reviews

14 Glen Street, Richmond Hill, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Very well-equipped kitchen and helpful staff. 2 minute walk to lots of great restaurants and bars on Stanley Street. Clean and tidy throughout.

I was there for an overnight stay before getting back on the BazBus so it was okay. No bar. The facilities looked okay and I had a good sleep. I was only there long enough to get back up and head out again.

The hostel is very nice, people there are very helpful, we had a nice big bedroom with a big bathroom. Very good hostel to explore P.E.

It took me 45 minutes to find the place as there was no clear direction on the web, but good and peaceful place

The backpackers was rather empty when we were there so can't comment on the atmosphere. Our private room was very nice with a shower and bath although very hot. Lovely swimming pool in the garden. Car parked inside the gates so no security worries. Several nice bars and restaurants nearby.

i felt like in my own home! confortable room, nice swimming pool, nice staff. is just a bit far from the beach.

No wi fi or hot water as the shower tap was shredded. Sleep only at a reasonable price but not a place to spend any waking time.

Great location right by all the Stanley st restaurants, however this hostel is in need of an update. It looks worn out and tired and like its best days are behind it. There's not really any atmosphere to speak of, but a fine place to sleep.

Little be far the beachs and dificult for tourist, but with a car is easy.

There needs to be more of an atmosphere created within the place because there is not much around the area. The pool was dirty and could do with a clean.

I loved my stay at the hippo backpackers, since the staff was super super friendly and i had one of the cleanest rooms ever so far! But also the area around was beautiful. I really enjoyed the restaurants which are about 2 minutes walk from the backpackers, and PE in general was great! On top of that they also have a swimming pool, and once the weather is not good enough to go swimming, they also have DSTV!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

• 1st Dec 2012

Well we booked a double room, arrived and it was a twin. The room was in no way private we had to go through a 6 bed dorm to get to it! No plug sockets in the room and to add insult to injury a lamp that we couldn't plug in by the bed side! The toilet and shower constantly stank of wee, and we had ants crawling on our bed. Also the dogs were lovely but they had fleas! Fortunately the kitchen area was very clean although only offered two pans for all guests staying. I would not recommend.

Thanks for a lovely stay Great location and service Addo Schotia full day safari is amazing and great value for money

• 19th Sep 2012
  • Austria

We had a double room, but was the money not worth it!! The bathroom is ensuite but you can better say that it is in your toilet is in the room. Everything is soo old and can use some renovation. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 24th Jun 2012

A nice hostel with lovely staff.

Looks like this hostel is over its prime time. A bit run down all over. Very few people that stayed for more then 1 night, and often just because the Baz bus had its first and last stop there for the day. The pool was nice though.

The garden withe the swimming pool is really cool and refreashing, but the room was a mess.

Is it possible to define what you mean by a mess please? We take cleanliness very serious and I would like to address this matter. I do realise that you stayed in a dorm> is it possible that the room was a mess because of other guests sharing the space?

It was a boring stay and you can`t walk to the city centre, because it is so far away. You need a car! There were no other guests! The small bar outside was never busy!

The city centre is easily accessible by foot, but the main beachfront area, where there is also not holiday activity this time of the year due to schools starting and people going back to work is a drive away- R40 by cab.Sorry we did not fulfil the fun element .

Unfortunalty the room wasn't ready when we arrived late afternoon and we found we were sharing the place with a rugby team who took over. Not alot of character to the place and not alot to do.

I really just stayed there for a bed in route but it was very clean and they had free breakfast%2C I would for sure stay there again next time I%27m in PE.

View all Port Elizabeth Hostels