Fabulous 274 Total Reviews
Fabulous 274 Total Reviews
The Oldmill Holiday Hostel Located at Barrack Yard, James Street, Westport.
Ireland
Westport Barrack Yard, James Street
83% 274
53.8002959 -9.5237731
    Rooms available

16th Jul 2016
6.0

My experience at this hostel was AWFUL!!! 1. They put us in a 5-man room that had 5 beds and 1 cot. They only had 2 beds available for the 3 people in our group, so I had to sleep on the cot. I couldn't even fit on the cot because it was so small! 2. They charged me more than the agreed amount, because they did not recognize the deposit I had already paid on HostelWorld. 3. Our neighbors partied SO loudly until 5 am. No staff available to help all night or in the morning. No sleep all night.

• Ireland, All Female Group, 18-24
3rd Jul 2016
8.0

Nice room, good kitchen. showers couldnt be locked.

22nd Jun 2016
7.7

No shelves or lockers for storage. Water temperature in showers was not adjustable and was set at nearly scalding temperature. Otherwise was a decent place to stay.

18th Jun 2016

I really enjoyed this charming hostel in Westport. The staff were nice and very informative, especially the guy who's a local that works there. The atmosphere is nice and the kitchen facilities were outstanding. The only complaints that I had was that the lounge area closed at 11 and didn't open until 8. I've never heard of that happening in a hostel before. Also, the bathroom for our room was very small. All in all, a nice place.

• USA, Male, 18-24
2.9

Terribly unsecure facility. No place to put your bags. The best they could tell me was "we have never had anything stolen". Terribly showers/bathroom. Small, the door doesn't even close. Dirty facility, nasty staff. Receptionist spoke very broken English (French accent), and was very rude. I didn't even stay the night. I picked up and moved that instant. This place is an abomination.

Your account and review run contrary to most if not all of our other reviews. We have a French lady who works with us and her English is very good and her manner is normally very,very friendly. Our toilets and showers are all new and less than 2 years old. We do have lockers for valuables which you can hire for a small price. It is true that we live in a safe place with very little or no crime. I think you might have had a bad day and we are sorry about that but your score is not reflective of the real situation at the Old Mill Holiday Hostel.

• USA, Mixed Group, 18-24
6.6

Very average. There are codes to access the rooms which was a bit different. The beds weren't great, but the location was wonderful!

I would contest strongly that this is not a fair comment. We are consistently ranked as well above average in the hostel market with repeat guests coming every year to us, for over twenty years, telling us that we have made huge improvements over that last 6 years and that we have a great facility which is well run and maintained.

30th May 2016

Elise was a marvellous hostess baking fresh Irish soda bread for the guests. A delightful stay.

26th May 2016
5.7

Loud guests, no security on site. Good location

• Ireland, Male, 25-30
20th May 2016

Very welcoming staff. Had a great 2 days.

• England, Female, 41+
18th May 2016

I have been staying at this hostel since it opened in 1991 (I think). I have watched the changes taking place but one thing never changes - the lovely people who work there, the friendliness and the help given. Also, the way you are invited into their lives and their conversations and their laughter. My last stay in May was the best ever. Thank you all - you know who you are. x

Thank you so much for you kind and generous review and we hope to see you again soon !