The Oldmill Holiday Hostel Reviews

Barrack Yard, James Street, Westport, Ireland

Cold in the hostel, particularly the bathroom. Showers had no hot water. Staff was exceptionally friendly and eager to share the secrets of Westport with us!

The place is very well located, clean and with a fully equipped kitchen. The staff was friendly. The shower was the weak point. Cold water and in small quantity.

• 25th Oct 2015

Thank you for your review...we heat up a lot of water for showers...it depends and when you took your shower....we had a lot of guests that weekend...if you had a shower very late at night...it might be luke warm...but if you have a shower in the morning it will be hot as we heat the water at night time. Also the first few presses of the button might release some cold water resting in the pipes...if you push a few more times the hot water comes through...

Nothing too much to complain, hostel was clean and bathrooms were very nice (although, it was hustle and bustle to shower there... Not very convenient), but I just found it a little too expensive. 20 euros for a dorm room in a smaller town... Well, I just think that's too much.

We are the best value bed in Westport town and environs - and even though Westport is small it is considered one of the busiest, most vibrant towns to visit on the island of Ireland. Westport is a very busy town, especially at weekends and this adds to the demand for accommodation of all types. We have a very good kitchen for self catering and we provide a light breakfast too....all for just €20.....

super friendly staff!!!

Although I don't cook, I think it was a very nice, big, clean kitchen.

Great location for a small city, close to all the pubs and shops, staff was very nice.

This is a great hostel in a great location and with a very good kitchen I will certainly use it again and recommend it to others

Terrible atmosphere, way too strict, no fun vibes whatsoever. The guy on reception was a complete tool and he also wanted to charge me a days rate to have a shower after I hiked the mountain on my check out morning. Showers are cold anyway. Lame.

We're sorry that you didn't get the vibes you were looking for...but if you check out of any hostel you can then not return a few hours later and start using the facilities again - that's just common sense. The showers are normally quite hot by most guests standards and too hot for some... What's lame is the fact that you expect everything to be free... get real! This hostel is great value for money, well equipped and well run.

I stayed here and decided quickly that I wanted to move to Westport. The staff were very helpful in providing useful info and the hostel itself was ideally located and very clean.

Had an amazing time at the Old Mil Hostel in Westport! The staff was very friendly, the rooms were comfortable and clean, the kitchen was newly renovated and very well-equipped. Breakfast consisted of freshly-baked bread and muffins. You could tell everyone staying there was having a great time, despite the less-than-stellar weather.

Fantastic polymath reception man who made me very welcome. Fantastic building, good parking, immaculately clean, great kitchen and comfy bed. Would definitely stay again if in the area. Thank you.

We were given the wrong rooms and werent even told in advance. There was never anyone at reception. It said on the wall if there was noise complaints it would result in loss of deposit..they told us in reception we wouldn't get it back anyway before even checked in. 100euro was taken out of my bank account the following day without being informed of it or the reason why

• 30th Aug 2015

These guests were given 2no. 4 bed dorms instead of an 8 bed dorm...which they half destroyed with alcohol and fast food. In addition they damaged 2 fold out beds which should not have been disturbed. We charged a nominal sum to pay for the damage to hostel property which is normal and reasonable. All guests must pay for damage caused by them to hostel property. This review does not reflect the true nature of the hostel for well behaved guests

Lockers with-in the dorms are always a comfort when sharing with strangers. U could even charge for padlock rental.

We were looking forward to staying in an old mill but were greatly disappointed. Nothing special about it, and very expensive for what it is. Internet doesn't work, no water in shower in the morning, gentleman at the front desk blames his absent boss for everything, no breakfast, no parking (even though it says it's included), expensive renting of towels... Very very average: a bed and a shared bathroom.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay here but I'd like to correct a few things. The bathrooms were completely renovated in 2015 and are by far the cleanest and most up to date I;ve seen in any hostel in Ireland. The internet does work because if it didn't we would not be able to run our business. Our price is not high for Ireland. Hostels offer the basic bed and shared bathroom - that's a hostel. We offer freshly baked brown bread & scones every day which is not average.

This was like trying to spend the night in a fraternity house. Loud drinkers reveling all night long, including some that tried the handle on our room door in the middle of the night, not fun. I don't know where the staff was...they were supposed to enforce the rule of drinking and socializing downstairs after 10, but apparently they were asleep at the wheel.

The shower is burning hot, maybe it's the reason why the place used as slaughter purpose before!

It was lovely to have been there! The kitchen and kind of living room were awesome in case of the atmosphere, you got to talk to the other travellers. I didnt like that the french volunteers were not that open and friendly as the receptionists. Anyway i enjoyed my stay!!

• 16th Aug 2015