University of Glasgow - Cairncross House Reviews

20 Kelvinhaugh Place, G3 8NH, Glasgow, Scotland

Clean room, helpful staff, value for money for a private room.

On booking page got incorrect bus details. No:9 and another one do not go to University camp.

This hostel was a bit difficult to find without asking the locals, the directions mention SECC which is actually always labeled "Exhibition Centre". The "hostel" itself is very nice, offering everyone affordable and well-equipped private rooms. The location was not ideal, it's situated at the furthest "walkable" point from downtown, where you'll want to spend your time. Separate kitchens make it hard to meet ppl. Hop-on / Hop-off stop is a short walk away. A good hostel to recharge.

This was my second time at Cairncross house. It was a pleasant stay, I didn't have any problems, the room was clean and comfortable enough, working toilet and showers, friendly staff. I will definitely go back there again if I need a budget accommodation.

A little out of the way from downtown, but solid facilities and a good value.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Nice stay in these student housing during the summer break. Nice rooms, clean toilets and showers, large kitchens...thanks

A great place to stay. 20 mins walk to city centre. very clean. you find here everything you need! equiped kitchen, maps, interet, nice bed. u recieve towel and soap and mats for showering. I would deffinitely come back to this place.

• 6th Aug 2014
  • Slovakia

I've been here the second time. I like the location. The people I met here are very nice. I really can recommend this house and if I'll come again to Glasgow it will be my first choice.

Student life has changed since my day! An incredibly modern and clean common room that would fit a high quality contemporary hotel! Rooms were basic but twice the size of my uni room back in the day! Only criticism is metal framed squeaky beds. Why do places use them. So annoying!

Difficult to locate, not on campus proper. Rates were high for university property. Staff was very good. Doors secore but no safe or lockers.

This accommodation was spacious and well located for the venues of the Commonwealth Games. Well served by rail and subway. Kelvingrove Park was just a 5 minute walk away.

• 30th Jul 2014

Stunningly good value for money.

• 30th Jul 2014

Really helpful and friendly staff. Good, safe car parking at no cost too! Rooms clean, good shower and all very safe.

• Scotland

Kitchen wasn't the best equipped but adequate. Staff were excellent.

• 28th Jul 2014

No hostel atmosphere, staying in a university with no other young people or groups present. Location was very poor and the rooms were not well kept or clean, they were especially dusty and smelled.

A rather grim building, endless empty and a bit smelly corridors leading to a myriad of small rooms (this is a student hall of residence during the year), the kitchen was rather greasy + very empty (not event the basics : sugar, etc. that you are ot always traveling with and usually find in a hostel), the whole is rather impersonal, not very friendly, thin walls (had two noisy neighbors watching noisy movies/playing noisy video games till late at night) - you do get a bed, a towel and free wifi.

enoyed our stay and welcomed by staff on arrival. Unfortunately one of our party failed to join us and we Iost our deposit and had to forfit the cost of one nights stay for the room. This was in ine with terms and conditions of booking but seemed harsh. The hostel was very full and I wondered if the room coud have been re-let. Our only other complaint was that the hostel seemed very clostrophobic due to the very long corridors with the entrance at the far end of a long corridor.

• 18th Jul 2014

Excellent value for money. It is not a hotel but there is a big clean tidy kitchen, an individual clean shower outside of your room. There is a large laundry. The room is clean and tidy quite spacious for a single occupancy. The location is great: near the Kevin Hall Art Gallery and Glasgow University. There are shops, bars, live music etc.. It is easy to commute to Glasgow city by bus. I will definetely book again when I am back to Glasgow.

• 17th Jul 2014

If you plan on being in the West End it is a great location. I don't mind walking around the city, but it is about 25 minutes to George Square. The residence is nothing fancy, just a standard university dorm, however all I needed was a bed, kitchen and bathroom so it worked!

• 16th Jul 2014

This is dorm that looks like it is used for transient housing and also as a hostel. The rooms as far as I know are all singles. Beds are good and there are shared bathrooms with private showers. There are also kitchens for each block of rooms and laundry is available. The rooms all have their own wifi router so the internet works really good. The drawback is that there isn't much interaction between the folks staying there and you're about a 30 min walk from the city center.