Valley House Holiday Hostel Reviews

The Valley, Achill, Ireland

We stayed on 25th March 2014. There's a lovely open fire in the pub, and the communal kitchen is warm, but found our bedroom quite cold. Showers were best described as lukewarm... that's why I rated the facilities as poor. We paid a similar price at other hostels but didn't find them cold and all had hot showers.

• 25th Mar 2014

Valley House is a nice rustic hostel with a lovely astmosphere. We had lovely home made scones for breakfast and the smell of fresh coffee wafting up the stair case that greet you when you get out of bed is magic. Of course there is always music in the bar to entertain you.

• 14th Mar 2014

In 2 minds about the hostel. On 1 level I love it; rare to see such an old building still in use,so much ambiance & character in the place. The owner is very nice 2. Great pub on site. Lovely rooms, nice beds, free tea & coffee. On the other hand - the place is freezing! Even when heat left on in our room all night, it was still really cold. Maybe I'm 2 old these days for hosteling, 2 into my comforts. The unpleasant backpacker running the place spoiled our stay; would not pee on u if u on fire!

The hostel was lovely, warm & cosy for this time of the year, one never knows. It had been freshly painted in many places and really was welcoming. Will definitely recommend the Valley Hostel to anyone who is heading for Achill. Will be back!

• 16th Nov 2013

The music and conversation in the pub were priceless. LOVED the new tea room and shop selling goods from local artisans. Appreciated the internet access. Staff was wonderful.

• 14th Sep 2013

Wonderful hostel with an old worldly charm, great bar and delicious pizza! Had a wonderful stay.

The valley hostel is an excellent value if you want to visit Achill Island. This old building has really something special and that really worth to see! The pub in the back room is really nice too!

It is a nice hostel surrounded by a wild and beautiful countryside. One of the best sessions I have ever seen take place in the pub in this hostel.

The host and staff were very welcoming and took the time to make each of the many guests feel individually welcome and special. The sing- songs are BRILLIANT !!!!

• 23rd Aug 2013

I enjoyed my stay, the staff were excellent and the aura of the place was relaxed and fun. The only quibble I had was that when I showered the water was cold, I tried all the showers to no avail. When I mentioned it to a member of staff they looked unsurprised.

This hostel is ok, big old building, could do with a bit more cleaning. Be alright for a group of friends. However as a couple I wouldn't come again. Nice staff ( two assies)

Very special and historical place to stay at. Especially the hostel itself is very worth to go to. Unfortunately the showers were not that clean.

We arrived to the hostel in the middle of the night so it as more trecherous for us to find it but we managed. Staff was very kind and helpfull, late checking (after midnight) was no issue at all. Hostel was clean and tidy with all the facilities necessary. I really appreciate the friendliness of staff. Small pub in the hostel complex was creating excellent atmosphere and we enjoyed Irish welcome and live music in a pub. Thank you.

Insufficient hot water for showers

• 28th Jul 2013
  • Couple, 41+

It was the best week of the year in the valley house. The staff is wonderful and the atmosphere and everything is just perfect and lovely. You don't need to go somewhere else.. If you want real Ireland stay in the valley house and explore the Isle by bike or by feet. :) (lea)

• 12th Jul 2013

After arriving late at night to the hostel, we found the staff very helpful and welcoming. They even opened the kitchen again so we could order pizzas and enjoy a few pints after the long cycle from Westport. Will be back.

• 11th Jul 2013

Fell in love with Achill here!! Definitely had something to do with the charm of this house, it's surroundings, and it's excellent staff! Will definitely be back.

• 11th Jul 2013

Cold showers!

Enjoyed this hostel. The rural location and the bar is great. However the fact the showers were cold was a major issue. We were down for the Achill Half Marathon like a lot of the others guests and we all had cold showers after the race, it was terrible.

Great atmosphere. Informal and friendly. Loved the bar. Great history to the house too

• 28th Jun 2013