Verandahs Backpackers Lodge Reviews

4-6 Hopetoun Street, Auckland, New Zealand

This is your home away from home. Most people here stay for several weeks and have jobs, so not too noisy at night. Also, everyone keeps it clean. People hang around in the big kitchen (where there are two big wooden tables) and the living room and are glad to meet new faces as well. The bathrooms include shower, toilet and sink in the room (you have it all to yourself). And the cold is not that bad, promise ;) and internet alternative: computer in a convenience store for NZD1/h on queen street

Very comfortable place to stay. Fantastic location. Overall an a great experience.

• 24th Jul 2014

Nice old rooms but wifi only worked in the main lounge room which was inconvenient as our room was in he other building.

Lovely receptionist but cleaner was a little pushy in the morning.. coming into our room at 9:50 and telling it was 10am. We were all packed up and left then but it was quite impolite.

Great Hostel! Wifi costs 25$ a week, thats a little poor. Cheaper/ free would be appreciated

• 17th May 2014

Clean and spacious rooms in a beautiful house. However, it was really cold in the house, including the room and the kitchen. It's located right next to Ponsonby Road, which is a pretty cool place. It's about a 20 minutes walk to Queen Street and about 10-15 minutes to the closest Countdown. The kitchen was huge, and well-equipped. The hostel is located right next to a park and the place is probably really nice during summer when it's warmer and you can use the garden.

Quite a nice place, great kitchen and common area. WiFi is not free, its $3 an hour so quite expensive. Its a bit of a walk away from the centre and could really do with lockers in the dorms. Very clean and pretty though.

I had a great time there!!

Really enjoyed our stay at this hostel. Our room was quiet and had nice high ceilings. The beds were average, and the bathroom facilities were good. The best part of this hostel was the location, right on the top of Ponsonby Road, a great area for eating and drinking. The hostel owner is extremely nice and very helpful in booking tours, answering questions, etc. Would recommend.

Great location -near tons of good food and queen street. Helpful staff, big comfy rooms

My best friend and I had an excellent stay at Verandahs'. We felt very comfy, safe and welcomed. I would say it was the best hostel we have stayed at during our time in New Zealand!

Me and my boyfriend stayed 3 nights at the Verandahs and really enjoyed it. It was a good location with only a 10-15 min walk in to the city centre and a 2 min walk to the closest conveinience store and bar&restaurant street. The rooms were simple, but nice and clean and the kitchen was really big and equipped with whatever you needed. There is a really nice park right outside which is perfect for a morning walk or a picnic in the sun - all in all, really enjoyable first stay in NZ! :)

• 19th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

Beautiful hostel. Lovely and clean and the proprietor was a very nice man to deal with. Close to the city centre with comfortable rooms. I would highly recommend this hostel.

No security lockers, but great facilities. Picked up the keys after-hours so didn't actually see the staff, but awesome that it's a possibility!

This hostel was just lovely - quiet, clean, great location and good off-street parking. Only one suggestion - a mirror in the room would have been nice.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

This is a wonderful hostel that was recommended to me. I was happy to stay here a few nights and look forward to going back there again soon. :) Very pretty house, nice outside area, large kitchen, friendly and helpful staff. Am recommending this to everyone :)

Spacious, nice, light rooms. Very friendly staff, amazing day- and nighttime view onto the skyline/ tower of Auckland. Stray bus has a pick-up just around the corner. Lovely area for several restaurants, little shops and pubs. Unfortunately, closest supermarket is quite a walk away (25min one way - uphill back). Overall amazing hostel, strongly recommendable.

We came in after reception closed so they left a key for us, great. However that's all there was, no note with explanations or anything. The next morning when I met with the reception to pay they told me nothing. I had to ask where the showers were, there was a lovely big kitchen but we didnt find it till the end (as we werent told and the property is spread over 2 buildings). The showers were wet rooms and not all that clean and our bedroom had a dank musty smell. It was well positioned though.

Hostel reception was very helpful, patient and polite, which made me feel very welcomed and comfortable =) I was there for 2 nights, hostel toilets were always clean and fellow travellers were polite and interesting to talk to =) Thank you for the hospitality! =)

Great location (we loved it!) and affordable price. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm and the bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets to keep warm. Would've been nice to have a locker in the room or somewhere accessible out of the reception hours. Kitchen had everything you'd need.