Verandahs Backpackers Lodge Reviews

4-6 Hopetoun Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Great location -near tons of good food and queen street. Helpful staff, big comfy rooms

Me and my boyfriend stayed 3 nights at the Verandahs and really enjoyed it. It was a good location with only a 10-15 min walk in to the city centre and a 2 min walk to the closest conveinience store and bar&restaurant street. The rooms were simple, but nice and clean and the kitchen was really big and equipped with whatever you needed. There is a really nice park right outside which is perfect for a morning walk or a picnic in the sun - all in all, really enjoyable first stay in NZ! :)

• 19th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

Beautiful hostel. Lovely and clean and the proprietor was a very nice man to deal with. Close to the city centre with comfortable rooms. I would highly recommend this hostel.

No security lockers, but great facilities. Picked up the keys after-hours so didn't actually see the staff, but awesome that it's a possibility!

This hostel was just lovely - quiet, clean, great location and good off-street parking. Only one suggestion - a mirror in the room would have been nice.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

This is a wonderful hostel that was recommended to me. I was happy to stay here a few nights and look forward to going back there again soon. :) Very pretty house, nice outside area, large kitchen, friendly and helpful staff. Am recommending this to everyone :)

Spacious, nice, light rooms. Very friendly staff, amazing day- and nighttime view onto the skyline/ tower of Auckland. Stray bus has a pick-up just around the corner. Lovely area for several restaurants, little shops and pubs. Unfortunately, closest supermarket is quite a walk away (25min one way - uphill back). Overall amazing hostel, strongly recommendable.

We came in after reception closed so they left a key for us, great. However that's all there was, no note with explanations or anything. The next morning when I met with the reception to pay they told me nothing. I had to ask where the showers were, there was a lovely big kitchen but we didnt find it till the end (as we werent told and the property is spread over 2 buildings). The showers were wet rooms and not all that clean and our bedroom had a dank musty smell. It was well positioned though.

Hostel reception was very helpful, patient and polite, which made me feel very welcomed and comfortable =) I was there for 2 nights, hostel toilets were always clean and fellow travellers were polite and interesting to talk to =) Thank you for the hospitality! =)

Great location (we loved it!) and affordable price. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm and the bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets to keep warm. Would've been nice to have a locker in the room or somewhere accessible out of the reception hours. Kitchen had everything you'd need.

Loved this hostel. Really cosy and homely, didn't feel like a backpackers at all! The manager, Campbell, was so friendly and helpful - sorted out our rental car and tour bookings for us and went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Would definitely recommend this place!

• 10th Aug 2013
  • Northern Ireland

It is always enjoyable to stay at the Verandahs-thanks to the team.

• 17th Jul 2013
  • New Zealand

I've visited here quite a few times over last 5 years. Each time there are new improvements instead of some places that run down. Great personalised service. The spaces are designed specifically for the use.

• 28th Apr 2013
  • New Zealand

Unfortunately we were double booked in this hostel, so we had to go elsewhere. The hostel looked nice from the office as we picked up the map to the next hostel at 10pm.

What a place! Amazing it really felt like home.The staff 10 out of 10,,pleasant and always willing to help, with information or suggestions .If in Auckland you will enjoy your stay at Verandahs sure!!

It was the cleaness hostel we stayed at, manager was very polite and helpful and made us feel welcome. The building was very well presented, close to city and I would stay their again if I go back to auckland. I was very impressed with this hostel and how it was run. I would rate this hostel as AAAAAAAAAAA