Vertigo Vieux-Port Reviews

38 Rue Fort Notre Dame, Marseille, France

It's a good hostel, but I expected something better. Location is the best feature. The common areas are big and well furnished. I stayed in the 8beds room that is separated from the main buildings, has one ensuite bathroom only that was not so clean and the wi-fi was really poor (I've got a French number with 3G, but it could be annoying for foreign people). The receptionists were kind enough, but did not try to create any sort of atmosphere. I met good people though and my stay was pleasant.

Nice, very clean hostel, just steps from the old port itself.. I also appreciated the good baguettes and good coffee they offered for breakfast, less so the weak wifi signal, but I guess that's because of the thick walls and layout of the building. The cleaning lady does a great job, the young brunette at the reception however could learn some "hospitality" though, as everything seemed to be a bother to her... in contrast to the young guy working there who could give her lessons about it.

Vertigo Vieux-Port is a really nice hostel: close to a cool area at the port (full of restaurants and bars); big rooms with their own kitchen, fridge and WC; good breakfast; safe and quiet area; nice staff and nice atmosphere... I really enjoyed my stay there!

• 28th Aug 2015
  • Spain

I just really didn't feel safe here the security didn't seem great at all. The room was spacious. The bed was very squeeky and wobbly and felt like it would fall apart. When I went to check out at 8am there was no breakfast and no person at the checkout. Someone came by and told us to just leave the key but didn't offer my 10$ deposit back. I had to ask. He seems annoyed that we wanted to check out early.

Very nice hostel, rooms are spacious and clean. Very well located, 2 min walk from the old port, restaurants and pubs. There were 2 showers in our 6 beds dorm. Staff was friendly and helpfull.

I really liked this hostel. Great location and helpful staff. The rooms were clean and spacious. My only criticism is all the stairs!! Those with suitcases, beware! To get to the hostel I had to go up a steep hill and the rooms are all up another flight of long stairs. When I got to my room I found the bathroom and toilets downstairs and the rooms up ANOTHER flight of stairs! A lift would be handy, phew!

I stayed for 2 nights and I had a pleasant time. The staff was really friendly and helpful. The room was clean and breakfast is included (cereal, bread, coffee and orange juice) , there is a kitchen and a fridge if you want to cook. Is well located, really close to the vieux port and all the touristic places...

It is a nice hostel. Good location if you want to visit a famous basilique Notre Dame de la Garde. Hostel is not so far from main harbour, where is a lot of restaurant and cafes. Staff is friendly and kind. Breakfest quite tasty.

Really good location, funky hostel with a cool vibe.

Great hostel for Marseille. Decent facilities, only downside is that if you are out on the veranda chilling after 9:30pm on any night not making much noise dead set the neighbor from above will throw eggs at you. One of the staff wouldn't let us chill inside the common area after 11 which was an absolute joke.

Was a really nice hostel and we enjoyed our time there. Staff were nice and rooms/facilities were clean. Wifi didn't work sometimes but was never much of a problem. Beware though, there is a guy living on top of the hostel who throws a range of food from above if you are too loud. Because of this we couldn't stay outside past 10 pm which kinda sucked. Would definitely recommend.

I really enjoyed to stay at this hostel in a room for 4, which is is spacious, luminous and it has enough sockets. Included breakfast is simple but good, the location next to the Vieux Port is excellent, it has a nice ambience, good WiFi, staff is kind and cleanliness is very good. If I come back to Marseilla, I would repeat!

• 19th Aug 2015
  • Spain

Solo young female traveller exploring Marseille for 3 nights. Hostel Vertigo is my favorite hostel that I've stayed in so far in Europe! It's in a FABULOUS location, very close to the old port and many restaurants. The hostel is very social, welcoming, and friendly. There are several large open common rooms with a very chill vibe, I found myself in several circles sitting around talking with new friends and travelers. Breakfast is basic and wifi is poor (only really functional in the lobby). Mat

Really enjoyed this hostel, facilities and staff were fantastic but the building being split into three different buildings makes it more difficult to meet new people - although my room-mates were fantastic :)

Great apartment type room that we stayed in (8 bed). Great facilities, to go with it. Enjoyed my time here.

No wifi in Lounge areas, a bit annoying.

The staff were lovely and very helpful and I would stay here again.

Nice and clean hostel with a large common room, in which it was possible to meet people. The baguette provided at the breakfast was excellent.

Great hostel, really! The room I was in was clean, comfortable and had its own clean bathroom. The staff was friendly. I had a very nice few days there!

• 15th Aug 2015

Liked this hostel a lot. Will be back. Friendly staff. Location great - close to harbour, on a side street, so a quiet place to sleep and hang out. Comfy beds and plenty of space (in the room I had, at least). Key cards to dorms and individual lockers (had to supply my own padlock) make for good security in the rooms, but I was less confident about security in common parts where easy, unchallenged access seems possible: got - mildly - sexually harassed by a non-resident in lobby one night.

• 14th Aug 2015