Zhangjiajie Bajie Youth Hostel Reviews

No.401 Ying Fu Building, Dayongfucheng, Jiefang Road,Yongding District, Zhangjiajie, China

This is a pretty nice hostel. It's 4 flights up which is the only downside but the staff were awesome for helping us take (very heavy) bags up! We got the pickup from the bus stop which was handy and reasonably priced since we'd have needed two taxis with all our luggage. The hostel is in a little bar area - typical chinese type bars with music and where either buy beer or spirits by the bottle. The staff were also really helpful and the services for the closeby scenic spots were useful.

The Bajie was a pretty poor place to stay I felt. The bed (4 bed dorm) was solid, just wood with a blanket on. The bathroom was filthy, and the whole place was cold. And next to a loud karaoke bar. I also stayed at the sister hostel in the park, that was worse. It was freezing cold, my room was 3 degrees C at night. There wasn't a warm place in the hostel. Room heating cost the same as the room on top and didn't work. I know you get what you pay for and it's winter, but this was a joke.

Location in Zhangjiajie city was not the easiest to get to however after arriving the staff booked me into the hostel in the mountains with no questions asked. The people in the hostels were vast majority Chinese who, kitted up with expensive hiking gear, were planning their walks around the mountain like we were at Everest or K2 base camp rather than in a youth hostel walking around well marked and maintained paths, so fairly few people to have a beer and a chat with. Mountain hostel was cold.

Baiji was pretty good. Great map of the park. I stayed inside the park one night at their other location. It was cold and had a great restaurant. In the city, the hostel is near a great alley of street food (across from McDonald's). One of the girls who worked at the city hostel was rude. But every night they have a girl that comes in to help visitors plan their trips to the park and she was very sweet. One thing I did not like was the shower over the pit toilet. I dropped my soap in it!

I stayed 1 night here before going to the park and 1 night after leaving the park. It was really nice that the hostel provided cheap maps and helped with which trails to check out. The rooms were nice but the beds very hard. I had some troublemaker checking out though as I needed to leave at 7am and there was no one at the desk. When we woke the girl up she was very upset. I also stayed at their hostel in the park. It was also nice but in November it was cold. No English speaking staff in park.

Beautiful location, easy access to the bus to tianmen mountain and a guide comes nightly to provide information on what to do in wulingyuan, tianmen mountain or anything in the area. Dorm mattresses are very thin. Showers are over squat toilets but that's fine as they're kept clean and the showers are hot with good pressure. Staff are friendly with pretty good English.

At first, I felt a little bit strange from having a shower with toilet and after it was another good solution :D and I spent several days with very convenient and relaxing place. Location is perfect that is very close to bus station, supermarket and pubs etc...

The hostel was good overall. The atmosphere was ok at best, it was very hard to mingle with other travelers and locals. Noted, people were voraciously planning their hikes to the Avatar mountains and the staff was good enough to help out with that.

The staff really were very helpful(one night staff person seemed like I was bothering her), but everyone else was amazing. They helped plan my trip in the park and even moved my reservation from their city hostel to the park hostel free of charge.