Zhangjiajie Bajie Youth Hostel Reviews

No.401 Ying Fu Building, Dayongfucheng, Jiefang Road,Yongding District, Zhangjiajie, China

Great hostel, would have been better if there was a kitchen and food provided!

• 5th May 2015

A bit hard to find by yourself - it is on the corner of the main road next to the bank. It takes about an hour to get to Zhangjiajie Park each way which is why I would recommend staying in the sister hostel in the park itself - unfortunately it was fully booked when I was there.

We stayed one night in Downtown Bajie and one night at the Bajie scenic spot in the mountains. Both Hostels were difficult to find and more suited for summer stay. Unfortunately we were unlucky with the weather and the heater costs extra in the Downtown Bajie (as do several other services) and in the scenic spot theres nothing to heat up the room at all. The Bajie at the scenic spot is on top very poor on cleanliness and facilities. The bathroom was moist and mouldy.

This is a pretty nice hostel. It's 4 flights up which is the only downside but the staff were awesome for helping us take (very heavy) bags up! We got the pickup from the bus stop which was handy and reasonably priced since we'd have needed two taxis with all our luggage. The hostel is in a little bar area - typical chinese type bars with music and where either buy beer or spirits by the bottle. The staff were also really helpful and the services for the closeby scenic spots were useful.

The Bajie was a pretty poor place to stay I felt. The bed (4 bed dorm) was solid, just wood with a blanket on. The bathroom was filthy, and the whole place was cold. And next to a loud karaoke bar. I also stayed at the sister hostel in the park, that was worse. It was freezing cold, my room was 3 degrees C at night. There wasn't a warm place in the hostel. Room heating cost the same as the room on top and didn't work. I know you get what you pay for and it's winter, but this was a joke.

Location in Zhangjiajie city was not the easiest to get to however after arriving the staff booked me into the hostel in the mountains with no questions asked. The people in the hostels were vast majority Chinese who, kitted up with expensive hiking gear, were planning their walks around the mountain like we were at Everest or K2 base camp rather than in a youth hostel walking around well marked and maintained paths, so fairly few people to have a beer and a chat with. Mountain hostel was cold.

Baiji was pretty good. Great map of the park. I stayed inside the park one night at their other location. It was cold and had a great restaurant. In the city, the hostel is near a great alley of street food (across from McDonald's). One of the girls who worked at the city hostel was rude. But every night they have a girl that comes in to help visitors plan their trips to the park and she was very sweet. One thing I did not like was the shower over the pit toilet. I dropped my soap in it!