Academica Summer Hostel Reviews

Hietaniemenkatu 14, Helsinki, Finland

Location, facilities, service, price, atmosphere.... everything is perfect!

Although having very night rooms, it felt like more of a hotel rather than a hostel. The common room was just people on laptops of phones and felt like it the staff were too busy to give any customer service. The rooms were great, single beds, with ensuite all very clean and it was not too far from the city center.

Staff seemed annoyed that they actually had to talk to people. Had to pay extra for breakfast, even though the room was already very expensive.

It was just weird to be in a whole different building from the main hostel, without wii-fi internet and with some weird keys. The room (217) was OK, but with lots of flaws, the outside window never close completly, dishes at the kitchen in the room were very few and dirty, we had just one trash can for the whole place, the bathroom door was super hard to close, etc. You need to repair and upgrade lots of things guys. Add more ambient to the place too!

terribly dirty. Dust everywhere, with the mop a black line came out, and worse, lots of hair in the shower sink. Also hair in the provided towel. We stayed in a 3 ensuite dorm, very convenient and spacious, but I would never come back there. Also I booked through hostelword and they didnt give me the hi hostel discount, even with the cards in hand. We were in a separate block, no wifi, just poorly on the main buildings reception (it wasn't working with my devices because the signal was weak)

My total impression of this accommodation is pretty good. If I can pick up some problems: - a little bit difficult to find this building at the first time - no WIFI in each room - poor WIFI connection even in WIFI area - not so much clean room Nevertheless these problems, if I visit Helsinki again, I'll chose Academica Summer Hostel.

• 18th Aug 2014
  • Japan

Thanks to nice staff. Clean and spacious double room. Bed linens and towels included. Very nice shower booth. Good breakfast at the restaurant Domus next to the hostel.

Clean, quiet and spacious room. Ideal for someone staying on their own who wants to see the sights, many of which are within a few kilometres. Eco-friendly to boot!

It is easy to find, near by bus stop of Polski Bus. And it is cheap and have a cosy little room.

No wifi in rooms only in common area. Absolutely no atmosphere at all in the hostel. Quite a few older people staying which was unusual. Staff were unhelpful and didn't have very good English. Clean. Good if you want a bed for a night. Though beds were uncomfortable. Fridge in the room was also handy.

It is a great hostel. It is located 10 minutes from the city center per walk, the staff is really friendly and the rooms are clean. It´s also great that you have a kitchen in every room, so you can cook your own food and save money :)

Really loved the hostel! Staff is super-friendly and helpful and the location was perfect for me. I also appreciated the morning swimming pool (women 7-8.30, men 8.30-10) and the fact that you have only few people per dorm (in mine there were only 3 beds) even though you pay the sam amount as in hostels with 18-people-dorms. There might not be the typical social hostel atmosphere amongst the travellers but more of a hotel atmosphere which I enjoyed. Only too bad there's no wifi in the dorms.

• 10th Aug 2014

Except for the fact that there's only wifi at the reception area, we loved this place! We got upgraded from a 4 bed dorm room to a twin room with a small kitchen in it. The room was massive and clean, with towels provided as well. Slightly far from town area but still, its a really good deal. Staff are there 24/7 and they are all really friendly and polite! Would definitely recommend.

The best hostel we ever stayed at! Clean, spacious, modern, minimalist, the breakfast was generous and delicious. The staff were misplaced from a 5 STAR hotel! In Other words, they were fabulous! And the location of the hostel is great to get to all city attractions.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Positive: Spacious dorm with just one roommate. Nice breakfast buffet. Very efficient staff. Negative: A bit out of the way. My dorm was in a different building than reception. No lockers in room. Safety deposit boxes were available for rent, but I found them inconvenient. Wi-fi did not work for my laptop in the reception building without a cable. It did, however, work for me in my dorm with a cable. Although I really liked my roommate, I found many of the other guests to be immature.

Friendly staff, well located. Some rooms are directly at a main road. Therefore I had a lot of noice..and less sleep.

Was a nice place to stay however there was not a huge area to meet other travels. Staff were helpful.

We had booked a 4-bed room bed have been upgraded to 2 twin rooms. They are perfect. There is no social life here, it is actually a hotel more than a hostel. Although there is free access to a sauna a and pool, this is limited to the early hours of the morning so not really useful.

Everything was great. Wifi is only available around the reception desk

They put me in a second building which is not good if you want to interact with other travelers. The room was very clean and spacious, the bathroom was good also, the only bad thing was t hat I've stayed there on Summer and the room was very hot, making almost impossible to sleep at night. The staff was very friendly and the facilities were excellent.

« first « Prev 1 2 3