Academica Summer Hostel Reviews

Hietaniemenkatu 14, Helsinki, Finland

Hostel to avoid in the hottest period of the year. Air conditioning was off and no room service. Elevator malfunction in building C. Recommended for who want to stay for a short period only.

It was a great stay in Helsinki. The Hostel was totally worth the money and more than I expected! I would definitely come to stay here again and recommend it to others!

Clean but quite boring.

Friendly staff. It is a bit confusing to figure out where you will actually stay as the hostel is huge and has more than one building. But once you're settled is easy enough to find your way around. Would be ideal if they had air con at the rooms.

• 23rd Jul 2014

The hostel is clean and the room in which I stayed (signed up for a dorm, got a two persons room) was very spacious. There are good cooking facilities. There is not really a hostel atmosphere, as there are different buildings and there is no bar or nice living area or something. This is a hostel which you should go to if you want to see the city and have a nice and quiet stay, but if you want to meet many new people and party/chill, I would definitely not recommend the hostel.

Only has free wifi in the main building, and it is probable you won't be in the main building as it's very big! Otherwise no problems.

Really cool hostel! Excellent location, huge rooms, sauna in the morning.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Russia

About as good value for money as you are likely to find in Reyjavik, the hostel effectively consists of university dorm rooms for 2 persons unused during the summer months. It is clean with great facilities, friendly staff and big common areas to meet people.

We found a quiet, clean room wich was perfect for us, before taking the ferry to Tallinn. As we didn't carry any smartphone or computer with us the opportunity to use internet in the computer room was important. The hostel is quite big. That might be the reason for the lack of charm.

A good hostel but with a very quiet common area mostly full of people on their phones. Very clean and good facilities.

The hostel itself is quite far from anything...though there isn't much going on in Helsinki to begin with. Thankfully it's close to a park that you can park free at which is near impossible in Helsinki. The hostel itself felt like a hotel, and the room we stayed in was far from the check in (access to internet). The room we stayed in is a dorm room so it brought back bad memories from freshmen year of college : ). Also no social atmosphere if that's something you're looking for, choose elsew

I had a really great time in Helsinki, it was so nice to stay in this hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful, I was able to sleep well, and I had everything I needed at my room. Plus, there's a supermarket right across the street and everything else is within walking distance.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Chile

Common kitchen in main building is small. If you want to use in-room mini kitchen, you need to borrow cookware, condiment from common kitchen and return them after using it. It is slightly inconvenient.

I just stayed there one night, only one comment: wifi is ONLY in the main building. So don't expect to have wifi in your room.

Location is ok due to there are many options of public transportation to artive there it does not matter the center is not really near and city has good promotions to make accesible ($) those transports. Beds and sheets are absolutely clean and the room in general is ok, but bathroom walls and floor and fridge an small kitchen inside the room are in need to be cleaner. The comunal kitchen is clean. They are like small flats where you have bathroom and a small kitchen and a small fridge. It'sgood

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

It is a large hostel, with many buildings and floors. What I really disliked was no wifi in room. Being in an out building a block away, to walk to office to get wifi Ed was unacceptable in today's environment.

The only thing that irritated me greatly - no sound isolation. So despite there were only few guests staying in the same floor as me, i was waken up every morning by the sound of doors opening and closing in the hallway. Doh? I'm still sad i couldn't try sauna in ladies hour. Because. I overslept after a night trying to fall asleep hour after hour when waken up.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Lithuania

Facilities and cleanliness are in general good but the lounge area & kitchen should be bigger and separate. It could get too crowded some times and not comfortable to be in the same area of eating, socializing and networking.

good location (the city centre is within walking distance) and very helpful staff. It's not the cosiest hostel, but a good place to stay in Helsinki.

We had a most enjoyable stay at the hostel. The staff were very friendly and helpful; the facilities were clean and we'll maintained and the breakfast could not be faulted. Most satisfactory.