Academica Summer Hostel Reviews

Hietaniemenkatu 14, Helsinki, Finland

I certainly did not appreciate, instead of being placed in a 4 bed dorm as booked, to be squeezed in a 2 bed room with just a 65 year old Indian business man. Otherwise, utterly devoid of any hostel atmosphere, but clean and convenient, and for a great price.

We are a family that needed a cheap place to stay the night in Helsinki. The staff was friendly and the facilities were good (beds/bathroom/etc.) it's not a hotel though - no coffee or kettle I'm the room. The kitchenette is nice but wasn't very well equipped with glasses, bowels, etc. We had our own coffee but had to go downstairs to drink it. Overall good value for money in comparison to a hotel.

• 21st Aug 2015
  • Israel

Large, well furnished rooms, even equipped with kitchen. Close to Shopping Centre "Kamppi" and the City Centre Easy to reach by public Transport. Minor Queue for Check in NO WIFI in HOSTELROOMS (only LAN, ie not suitable for Smartphones)

kitchen in the room with no equiptment

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Switzerland

Only downside is there is no wifi in the rooms.

Wifi is only accessible in the lobby area and the common room (which is open from 7-12am... what a joke), but no connection anywhere else. You always have a crowd of people sitting on the stairs at the lobby, trying to catch the wifi. Also, kitchen in the rooms is nice but without any proper equipment its somewhat pointless. I'd expect these basics for the rather hefty price. On the plus, staff are friendly and efficient.

Very Good, but no WiFi in the rooms.

My sisters and I stayed at this hostel for the second time after more than one week of traveling. Although we reserved a four bed dorm room, we were split into two upgrade private rooms. Unfortunately, the handle on one of the windows was broken down that could not shut off the noise from the outside---- there is a pub across the street that's full of boisterous crowd. We had a hard time to fall into sleep.

The hostel is divided in different buildings, so I had to walk outside the main building. Anyway I got a small apartment and it was really good with kitchen, toilet and everything you need inside. The location was quite good also, it was such a quiet place to stay. I enjoyed it for sure and I would reccomend it to everyone who's coming in Helsinki. The best choice for sure for quality/money.

beatifull rooms, sauna, atmosphere 100x100 recommended

Really cheap price compared to the hotels' Very new Has a small balcony, a small fridge, a stove and a large toilet No wifi in your room but it forces you to go the common room and chill out with others and make new friends Everything for cooking is prepared in the common room Very helpful staff who help you for planning your itinerary Really a nice place to stay and I'd like to come here once I come back to Helsinki

Good location.

Excellent, the next time that I will visit Helsinki I will choose it.

This place was cheap, well located in my opinion (only 10 mins from central station, 20mins walk from the port). The hostel is too big, it took me a while to find my room, because the building was in a different location, the atmosphere is awful, not very up beat like others, the kitchen and lounge are very small (though most rooms have kitchen) and no Internet at my building, so I always had to go to the lounge. Staff was very nice.

Like everything in Finland this hostel did not make any sense. I got a room in a building across the street. It turned out to be a student dorm used as a hostel in the summer. Because nothing makes sense Hostel Academica and Finland are very worth the visit. The hostel is 10 min walk from city centre and is right next to Church in the Rock. So location is next to superb. Although I paid for four share dorm, it turned out to be a two share, spacious room with shower and toilet inside.

no wifi in the room

Good place to stay, but dont expect to really meat a lot of people there, the ambiance is not so great because everyone is in the common area to use the wifi and that's it.

Everything was great : nice staff, ready to inform you about anything, clean and confortable rooms with safety key all around to reach the stages. It would have been perfect to have free WIFI in building A. Because of this, we were obliged to come back to the former building. But it is a small detail.

• 31st Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

No Internet in the rooms

Basically the hostel is a student dormitary which is used in Summer as a so called Summer Hostel. These type of facilities are quite common in Finland. Dormitary may not sound appealing at first but the facilities are very good actually as student dormitories in Finland are very modern and have enough space. There are just 2-bed dormitory rooms. Compared to usual Finnish hotels the price value is superb. Just: This is not your small cozy friends-run hostel but definitely a mass sleeping place.