Alexandra Hotel Reviews

77 Ryerson Avenue, Toronto, Canada

Amazing location for our girls reunion in Toronto - so close to Queen Street!

This was officially our worst hotel experience ever. The hotel was dingy with grim with depressing lighting. They charge you for everything. Parking was $5, you could borrow a hairdryer or coffee maker for $10. I felt like a criminal already. overall the hotel would have been fine if it was $40 or $50, but we paid $120, plus $10 deposit, plus $10 tax, enough to stay in a nice b b. We left feeling grossed out and ripped off.

• 16th Jun 2013

I don’t like this hotel because on my arrival the receptionist charged me the supplementary fees despite I have to pay certain money after my reservation on the Hostelworld site. The staff says the Hostelworld always do mistakes in converting USD to CAD and the receptionist recalculated my amount to pay. So I payed much more then after the Hostelworld site reservation. The first room was with broken heating. The parking lot is not free in this hotel as well as local calls. I don’t suggest it!

• 17th Nov 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm sorry about the confusion. When you book a room, Hostelworld charges a deposit up front, and guests must pay the remainder on check in. Because our hotel is in Canada, we only deal in Canadian currency. USD is accepted but the exchange rate varies. We charge a daily rate of $5.00 for parking in our hotel parking lot, which is considered cheap for downtown parking. Local calls are $0.35 per call.

Really a hotel rather than a hostel. This place was right between 2 different streetcar lines, and maybe a 30 min walk to a major mall. Less than 5 min to numerous restaurants and shops, and practically across the road from a nice theatre. Also close to a park and Chinatown - Kensington Market. Since I didn't plan to make friends or socialise, this was perfect. Very comfortable - room has a double and a single bed, kitchenette and decent bathroom, as well as TV and a desk area. A good deal.

Thank you very much for the review! The Alexandra is a hotel with private rooms, but our rates are low enough to compete with local hostels.

Be warned: This hotel charges taxes in addition to the listed price -- which is against hostelworld's regulations (and which other hostels in Toronto don't do).

• 29th Jul 2011

Thanks for the review. We do charge taxes in addition to the listed price. Hostelworld gives affiliates the option of posting a tax inclusive rate, or a rate that does not include taxes. It is clearly listed on our profile page that our "rates are subject to 13% taxes and fees."

Enjoyed the stay very much. Quiet and peaceful. Can never forget courteous staff members @ the reception.Would recommend without any hesitation; Thanks !

Thanks so much for your review!

Beware of HOSTELWORLD'S prices. They do not include taxes!! HOSTELWORLD clearly state the total amount to be paid on arrival at the hotel but the actual price, including taxes, is quite a bit more due to unstated taxes. Other booking sites did include the tax, which makes HOSTELWORLD'S price seem less when it actually isn't.

Basic, but good comfortable accommodation, all you need!

Even though guest services rep was extremely busy... he made time to give exceptionally friendly service!! I will definitely return to this hotel!! And, will recommend it!

The room came with kitchen (2 ring stove, microwave, fridge-freezer, and sink) Very useful. The location is on first glance a bit dodgy, but you soon realise that its all very neighbourly and friendly, if a bit run down. Queen Street West is the main attraction, just 2 mins walk from the hotel. The hotel has a residential feel with free access to only the front office. No-one can enter without a key or knowing someone inside - hence very good security.

Great value if you are on a budget. REALLY helpful staff, and super clean. Great when travelling with a baby (kitchenette in all rooms and washing machines on all floors). Tai-chi in the morning in the park next to the hotel. Also, don't forget to visit Kensington Market nearby, especially Cuppa' Joe's café and My market bakery...