Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie Reviews

Jan Willem Brouwstraat 14, 171 LG, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very disappointed with the quality of this hostel, especially for the price I was paying. By far the most expensive hostel I've stayed at in the 6 weeks I've been in Europe. I was crammed into a small room with 5 other people, the room was stuffy and hot, with only a skylight to bring in fresh air. The staff all seemed incredibly annoyed to have to deal with guests. Definitely would not recommend staying here.

There's no secure area to store your belongings. The bathroom was a biological hazard. When we left the hostel we thought we had sorted out our bed situation but came later on to find someone sleeping in our bed. Staff weren't that friendly on arrival. Lack of air con was big turn off, extremely hot at night. On the positive side, the bikes we rented out were great!

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

They need to do a better job of cleaning especially the floors, example mop under the bed! Also the customer service was not very friendly or helpful at all (besides the Australian). I would suggest educating the employees on attractions, restaurants, and other valuable knowledge about the city. Putting a sitting area in the back courtyard would greatly improve the atmosphere. And lastly it didn't bother me but some people would rather not have cats on the kitchen counter.

Good place to stay for a no fuss experience. Probably isn't the hostel for you if you're looking to meet people. Perhaps that is unfair as that was just my experience as my room was occupied by close friends but the common room was dead most times I went in too. Room was great as were the beds and the staff were awesome too. No complaints.

• 20th Jun 2015

Relatively cheap compared to the others. We'd like to have a kitchen, eating outside is more expensive! More social spaces will be welcomed. How in earth you don't accept credit cards? We had to pay with cash, which was very inconvenient for us. Also the breakfast (except for the friday, that one was good) was very basic, only toast :/ I would pay more for a decent breakfast.

Small bathrooms. Very basic facilities. Don't go if you want to meet people inside. But is worth the price, is cheap, good sleep, good wifi, friendly staff.

No proper kitchen just a microwave, not a great atmosphere. Rooms are small (converted hotel rooms with too many beds, no lockers. Overpriced for staying at the weekend

Excellent facilities, Friendly staff and a great nights sleep for a very good price

• 9th Jun 2015

The hostel was quite basic in some respects but made up for it in the atmosphere of the place. If you book in advance and get a good price, it's really worth the money!

I wanted to stay one more night, but the cost of a 6-shared dorm was 70 Euros/person for the next night (Friday)! And that was the cheapest accommodation available. Not at all value for money on weekends.

• 4th Jun 2015
  • India

Location is alright, a bit far outside central Amsterdam. Definitely worth staying if your on a budget

No private boxes/cages to secure bags. Toilet/shower was extremely cramped and got dirty very quickly.

Just the bare minimum, good to stay in for a couple nights, but wouldn't go longer than that. Very limited amount of outlets for a 12 person room. Walkable to city center, microwave and fridge available, WiFi good. 3 hostel cats with no mention of before so avoid if you have allergies.

Expensive for what it was, but I think that's the general feel of Amsterdam. Kitchen consist of microwave, kettle and fridge. Free breakfast is bread with peanut butter and jam. The common room is way too small of the ammount of people there. Poor atmosphere but everyone staying there was friendly and trying to do their best to meet people. Rowdy and more expensive on weekends as you would expect. Bunks have no ladders.

Absolute WORST experience in my travels - EVER. Made an error in my booking (two weeks in advance) and emailed the staff immediately and sent many follow-ups before the day of my arrival. No response. When checking in, my booking had already been cancelled and my card had been charged. The male receptionist yelled at Me for not showing up (which was explained in the emails), and tried charging a new €80 for my original €15 bed. He mocked my accent and called me a "Stupid American" on my way out.

They charge me eight more euros without explain me why. There is only two plugs for a whole dormitory of twelve people and there is no locker in the dorms.. I had a bad stay in this hostel. During my first night, people were coming back in the middle of the night, turning on the light and were talking for hours. It was impossible to sleep. Go in another hostel even if it's more expensive.

You get what you pay for here, at least during the week. It was cheap, and there was nothing really wrong with it, though lockers would have been appreciated, as would be a less-disappointing breakfast and facilities that were a little better. Otherwise, not bad. The location was very nice.

We were a group of 5 staying in a 10 person dorm. We loved the location (next to all the museums and the 5 tram). The hostel gave only one key to the group so we had to stay together when we came back. There was also no lockers which surprised us.

• 29th May 2015

It was terrible. I sleep better in my car!

• 29th May 2015
  • Belgium

Staff was friendly and helpful!! The location is super close to museums and on a main tram line to get to downtown. We got a private room one night and a shared the next to save money and they let us just slide ride into the next room. Great place and helpful staff.